Hacking out in the wind

applecart14

Visit site
Do you hack out in the wind? How do your horses cope?

I went out for an hour and a quarters hack yesterday, and it was quite windy then, but today is more blustery. The hacking by us is really quiet and I was able to go onto a long bridle path/track yesterday, the ground was perfect and dry. i am not sure whether to do the same hack but reverse it or go a different route alltogether.

My horse doesn't do anything as such, just is more on his toes. We normally canter in a particular spot but he is on rehab at the moment so is only allowed to walk and do short trots, so was jogging annoyingly yesterday because I wouldn't let him canter! Hopefully he will calm down a little today, he is telling me spring is defintely here and he feels really well at the moment, this morning he was having a canter and a buck in the sandpit - silly sod. I am trying to keep him quiet as he is on rehab but he obviously doesn't feel like he should be! :)

Last edited:

_Annie_

Visit site
Mine aren't really fussed about wind, however blustery, so long as it's dry - add rain and neither of them approve!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I wont hack out on the road when its windy as there are too many paper bags, empty Mcdonalds cartons and all manner of rubbish caught in the hedges and randomly blowing around. I also dont like not being able to clearly hear whats happening around me. I do use the local bridleways though which feel a bit safer and at least I dont have to worry about traffic. Have been out this morning and it was much windier than I thought it was going to be but my boy was pretty good. Got a bit jumpy when we had the wind up his tail but not too bothered otherwise.

applecart14

Visit site
hmm think I will risk it. Like I say the roads are so quiet that at least if he does whip round or shy we won't get hit by a passing car. Shame not to be able to go for a long hack on a weekend.

Suechoccy

Visit site
We were due to go to a EGB pleasure ride/have-a-go-dressage-test 40 miles north of me at Peterborough this morning but I saw the winds forecast to be 40-50mph gusts and stayed at home. Not towing in that. So my friend and I went out for a 9am blowy hack in the freshening wind and sunshine, then (two 50 year old women!) we each rode the dressage test in my field, the other one sitting on a deckchair with the scoresheet and being Judge, then we swapped neds and rode and judged each other's tests too. Great fun, I like pretending to be 12 years old. Neddies enjoyed it too.

Kat

Visit site
Had a 2.5hr hack this morning, dh took our horse and I took my friend's pony. It was very blustery. The pony startled a couple of times but she only trots forward a few strides so it is pretty safe. We had a lovely ride.

Highlands

Visit site
Really windy here, can't hear traffic as the lanes are like funnels so tack cleaned instead! Friend brought 3 youngsters out to eat my grass as mine on a nettle!

lhotse

Visit site
The wind is gusting at about 30/35mph here, my mare hates the wind!! However, our yard is sheltered so didn't realise just how windy it was, and having had a false start due to forgetting something which meant a dismount and back in her stable, followed by having to return to the layby outside the yard on the second go due to a horsebox, madam decided she didn't want to play today!! After half a minute of the most awful face pulling, semi rearing and planting, we were going!!

However, when I reached the top of the hill, the wind was howling, but no way was I turning round if she was in a napping mood so off we went!! Lots of snorting, bouncy trotting and some headsnaking but she was actually really well behaved. She doesn't really shy at anything, so was even brave going past two noisy farms with all the doors clanging!! We were out for an hour and a half, nearly got blown away on the common!

Saying that, if I had know how windy it was up there, I wouldn't have ventured out in the first place!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I hack out in the wind but we ditch the hi viz sheets as flapping sheets can be very dangerous in blustery weather .
I never school in the wind it's a bit of a waste of time .
Most of our horses hunt they are used to working in bad weather .

Tern

Visit site
The newb seems to be fine in all weather.. anything goes.

The mare however lived in Wales and hates wind and rain. She will get hacked today whether she likes it and if she misbehaves it will be longer out hacking until she stops throwing a hissy fit sadly for her. :)

When the rain starts she'll refuse to work and throw an almighty strop saying no to anything you ask. Wind makes her hyper and not listening to you she will just prance about of her own accord. Hence why winter she pretty much stays out of work!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I hate the wind, just hate it, it makes me really cranky, let alone the horses.

The only time I will do it is if I've got my riding friend with me; we'll then saddle up both my horses (who are field companions) and just crack on. We have to do a lot of roadwork here so it helps to have the two of us out as otherwise you don't always hear stuff coming up behind you. Also better to have the two horses out together.

The last time I rode in the wind though, was on a simply awful day when one minute it was calm, the next it would suddenly blow up into a huge gust. I was on my mare - and a big gust suddenly blew up a whole lot of leaves and a plastic bag - and she was taken totally by surprise, and tried to jump the lot of it!!

But out of choice, when it's blowing up a hooley I would tend to leave the horses in the field, thanks.

meesha

Visit site
Just took new rising 5 year old I have had a month up to top of mendips in gusty wind, didn't bat an eyelid! My theory is they are out in it in fields so can get on with it when ridden. I have to agree about avoiding roads in bad weather though as cars swerving to avoid recyle boxes and horses potentially spooking at things not worth risk.

buddylove

Visit site
My theory is they are out in it in fields so can get on with it when ridden.

I said the exact same thing to my hacking partner today, they were on their toes a bit but nothing too dangerous, poor old R wasn't too impressed walking into the wind, ears back and miserable face, clearly prefers the wind up his bottom!

risky business

Visit site
I hacked out in the wind today and the horses couldn't care less.

I rode not long ago in this wind combined with the rain when we got caught out in it! Again horse was foot perfect the whole time.

claracanter

Visit site
We were due to go to a EGB pleasure ride/have-a-go-dressage-test 40 miles north of me at Peterborough this morning but I saw the winds forecast to be 40-50mph gusts and stayed at home. Not towing in that. So my friend and I went out for a 9am blowy hack in the freshening wind and sunshine, then (two 50 year old women!) we each rode the dressage test in my field, the other one sitting on a deckchair with the scoresheet and being Judge, then we swapped neds and rode and judged each other's tests too. Great fun, I like pretending to be 12 years old. Neddies enjoyed it too.

I love this.

tashcat

Visit site
For me personally I try avoid it.

I have a very spooky and insecure horse who dislikes the wind greatly. I think he hates the feeling of wind and the noises it creates as if theres a monster behind him he can never see.

I made the mistake of going out today - I thought the beautiful sunshine would make him forget about the wind - and we were lucky to make it back in one piece!! However I think its perfectly fine for wind-happy-horses to venture out!

Silmarillion

Visit site
Generally, no I don't. I did today, however! It depends on how the horses are reacting and what the other weather conditions are like - today was fine in the sunshine, but we also did head for the woods where it's more sheltered than hacking across the hills. Mine are only happy hacks though, so it doesn't really matter if I wuss out ;)

TheLankyRider

Visit site
I also try to avoid hacking when its super windy but I'm a fair weather rider =P. On another note while driving down the M1 this lunchtime I thought the person towing a trailer with a horse in was absolutely insane. The wind was very very gusty and I could see the trailer noticeably moving because of it. I could really feel it blowing against my little car so god knows what it felt like for the horse inside. Maybe I'm just a wuss but I wouldn't have dreamt of towing in that wind today, don't know why people risk it.

Gazen

Visit site
Leading down the road from the summer turnout to the yard was a nightmare. Horse was totally on her toes and ready to panic-flee at any moment. Her turnout rug ballooning didn't help.
Ridden on the school, totally relaxed and chilled out. Jumps blowing over, porta-cabin window screens banging and a crash-landed heron didn't bother her at all. The best thing was the most beautiful extended trot we have ever done!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I live in a windy place (on a moor on the side of a big hill) horses are all pretty windproof tbh. Also pretty rural so don't have to worry about not hearing traffic myself when its windy anymore.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I wouldn't have fancied it previously but my horse needs exercised every day due to a muscle storage disorder and so I do. I never get off and feel like I wish I hadn't bothered. She's rather special tho.

SuperH

Visit site
I don't hack in the wind as I can't hear traffic coming on the blind bends (there are a lot and I can't avoid them). I will ride on the farm though as long as I'm ready to hang on as wind makes both of mine rather fresh.

We missed out on a treasure hunt today as we decided it was too windy to take the trailer out. Disappointed but would rather have a safe horse.

Visit site
My Appy is fantastic in the wind - doesn't really bother him at all although I do still avoid roads as much as possible to minimise risks. My ISH isn't great but is a lot better than he used to be and these days I can hack him out when it's reasonably windy.

Boulty

Visit site
Mine is rather spooky at rustly / flappy objects and we're on the top of a hill so when it's windy it's WINDY. If it's bad wind / blowing a gale then no we don't go out as some of the roads we cross can get quite busy and I don't want to take unnecessary risks when I know how he can react. (We have an indoor school so I'll ride in there instead as the noise on the roof mostly doesn't bother him) I will hack out when it's just a bit windy but now blowing in big gusts. When we're in company he's not so bad and we have done it but I just don't find it a very fun experience (esp when it rains as well!)

NZJenny

Visit site
When I was endurance riding weather was just something else to be endured. The Canterbury nor'west can be fearsome in the mountains (think LoR) and there are plenty of tales of sheep dogs getting blown away and the cows lying down and refusing to move.

My own experience was coming around the corner of a track on the side of a hill and having the wind nearly take my mare off of her feet. It took us 20 minutes, me with my arms wrapped around her neck, and her picking her way carefully down the hill, for us to get out of it.

Since then, everything else is pretty much ok. But I do stay out of the forest if it is really blowing.

WindyStacks

Visit site
I quite regularly ride in 40mph+ winds and he's completely unfazed by it all - although we did come over the brow of a hill once and were hit in the face by easterlies straight off the sea which took our collective breath away - and he's 17.2hh and I'm no lightweight!

I'd never use an exercise sheet though - that'd be the equivalent of releasing 10 tesco carrier bags at him!