Had a bit of an accident

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
:( Yikes hope it heals well!

I agree with above, plating will hopefully stabilise it quicker and its yucky weather currently!

*passes on all healing vibes I have*

To add, agree with lots of physio and really doing everything they suggest once you are allowed to, when I did my collarbone I think the physio made the biggest difference for me.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
katastrophykat you are appropriately named!

I was lucky to only break an arm when a horse I was riding tripped in trot and fell over onto me. I've had far worse injuries from horses that haven't actually involved broken bones - my back and pelvis still aren't right after I got rodeo'd off a few years ago from a baby connemara. Doctors don't really know what to do though so I muddle on.

OP - follow instructions to the letter and don't be tempted to rush back too soon because you're getting fed up.

Archangel

Visit site
Get well soon Pinkyboots. At least you have an excuse now for opening all the doors on the advent calendar and just necking the chocolate. Time to snuggle up under a binky and watch back to back Midsomer Murders/Murder She Wrote or something.

Here's a ridiculous accident to cheer you up... leading horse along road, she slips and panics, knocks me over, she is over my legs thrashing about, kicks me in the head, half gets up then slips and falls back on me. I am trying to get up but keep getting knocked over as she tramples me. Fast forward... I am in hospital... doctor reading through notes... suspected skull, ribs, pelvis, femur, tibia fractures.

Conversation with the nurse goes like this...

Doctor "multiple injuries, road traffic accident?"
Nurse "no, she was just leading a horse" :D

ETS - this was a about 15 years ago and the only bit that hurts is where she trod on my hand and it developed a bone infection. Horse was fine by the way, just a bit of grazing. Lucky I was there to break her fall!

Last edited:

cold_feet

Visit site
Having just got over a broken ankle I can tell you the first week or so is the worst - once you can get yourself adjusted to the physical restriction of a cast things become less frustrating. My saviours - a wonderful OH who took on the roles of chef, cleaner, chauffeur and dogsbody without complaint; a YO who took over care of my boy; padded grips for crutches and lots of good books, jigsaws, colouring books and knitting. Then when the cast is off plenty of Physio, doing as much as you can manage. It took me 11 weeks to get back on track, now 15 weeks and almost back to normal. Good luck

GTRJazz

Visit site
Blooming trips our cob tripped in the surface just before a jump ended up doing a summersault instead. I got off when I noticed his head and neck were missing, curled under his belly
Just crushed my foot but because he is so wide I had to kick him so he rolled the other way otherwise he was happy laying upside down with his legs in the air.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
OUCH 😣😣 Poor you..... Are your horses on livery, or do you have somebody at home to help you?

Healing vibes and hugs from me x x x

Fiona

thanks Yes have a lovely local girl who came at very short notice which was very good of her as she had only done my horses once the week before so I am very grateful, I have just left them out so it's just a matter of putting hay out and filling up the water, I did hobble out earlier to hang some nets up for them they are fine.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
best wishes- I truly feel your pain! pm me if you want a sounding board.

ooo... where to start. three years ago I had a rotational fall while jumping in the arena at the yard. smashed my collarbone into a few pieces and had an op to fix- bones took a good 6-8 months to knit and we had all manner of issues with it along the way. then last year they decided to take the metalwork out as it was catching on seatbelts etc. it came through the op intact then broke at 6am 5 weeks later when I woke up and stretched in bed. Then 10 days later it went at 2am while I was sleeping and they left it 2 months before operating to refit metalwork. 2 weeks later I missed a step and put my right arm out- same again. metalwork out and a huge full length plate put back in. so then 10 weeks after that I was given the go ahead to drive my horse again, so I did- he was fit and ready to go so off we went to a two day club event and turned over the carriage in the first obstacle. I knew it was a biggie, my foot hit the ground just before the carriage did and was crushed under the side of the carriage, then as my horse was still going forwards, my foot remained in the ground and the leg was taken with the carriage. so 6 or so fractures down the tibia, and a very dislocated ankle. two weeks in hospital in an x fix, a major infection and two operations and I was sent home with a big cast on for 6 weeks, then a boot for the next 6 or so weeks. I'm just starting strength work with the physio 5 months on and its sore. there's another op to come to remove a pin between my Tib & Fib, as it was put in to replace a ligament that was trashed and needs to come out before it shears... but then that's hopefully an end to it. I've decided that I've had my run of crap luck and that from now on it's all going to go to plan!!

omg what terrible luck to have all that happen so close of wonder your still sore mine sounds a bit insignificant in comparison

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Get well soon Pinkyboots. At least you have an excuse now for opening all the doors on the advent calendar and just necking the chocolate. Time to snuggle up under a binky and watch back to back Midsomer Murders/Murder She Wrote or something.

Here's a ridiculous accident to cheer you up... leading horse along road, she slips and panics, knocks me over, she is over my legs thrashing about, kicks me in the head, half gets up then slips and falls back on me. I am trying to get up but keep getting knocked over as she tramples me. Fast forward... I am in hospital... doctor reading through notes... suspected skull, ribs, pelvis, femur, tibia fractures.

Conversation with the nurse goes like this...

Doctor "multiple injuries, road traffic accident?"
Nurse "no, she was just leading a horse" :D

ETS - this was a about 15 years ago and the only bit that hurts is where she trod on my hand and it developed a bone infection. Horse was fine by the way, just a bit of grazing. Lucky I was there to break her fall!

sounds like your lucky to be alive to be honest it just goes to show you don't really have to be doing anything to grand around horses for it to be very dangerous, my horse is fine he got up and galloped off round the school I only managed to catch him with polo's he saw me get them out of my pocket and ran over to me.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you all for your lovely well wishes I actually feel ok today it's not hurting as much I don't have a cast because they plated it they want me to start moving it around straight away, I do have a lovely big boot thing god knows what I will wear as no jeans or anything will go over the bandage might have to buy some long skirts.

Shady

Visit site
Oh darling , poor you, that's horrible, chocolate is really the only answer to this one and making your partner do absolutely everything. xxxxxxxx
I am feeling a weeny bit mean at the moment as my riding buddy fell off the tiny mounting block the other week, did a very dramatic roll and declared her wrist really hurt, i dragged her over to the water trough and shoved her hand in while she went white and wobbly asking me to phone her husband.
Got her in the house where she draped herself like the lady of shalott on the sofa ( remembering to let her hair artfully hang over the arm). I was thinking FFS how can anybody be this feeble and was pretty unsympathetic ( bad , horrid person) It turned out that she had badly fractured it and had to have it pinned back in place. Needless to say i felt terrible( whilst guiltily thinking , fekk that's my other horse gonna get REALLY fat now) :eek:
Lots of hugs and healing vibes to you tho Pinkyboots!!:) xx

frannieuk

Visit site
Sending healing vibes! I've just had to explain to the doctor that 'patient fell off ladder whilst clipping horse' did not mean that I had the ladder propped against said horse ���� ..unfortunately what initially looked like a simple hairline crack in my radius now looks to be badly aggravated by tendon damage so I'm splinted and looking at not riding for a bit, and feeling quite grumpy about it all! Hope you're on the mend!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh darling , poor you, that's horrible, chocolate is really the only answer to this one and making your partner do absolutely everything. xxxxxxxx
I am feeling a weeny bit mean at the moment as my riding buddy fell off the tiny mounting block the other week, did a very dramatic roll and declared her wrist really hurt, i dragged her over to the water trough and shoved her hand in while she went white and wobbly asking me to phone her husband.
Got her in the house where she draped herself like the lady of shalott on the sofa ( remembering to let her hair artfully hang over the arm). I was thinking FFS how can anybody be this feeble and was pretty unsympathetic ( bad , horrid person) It turned out that she had badly fractured it and had to have it pinned back in place. Needless to say i felt terrible( whilst guiltily thinking , fekk that's my other horse gonna get REALLY fat now) :eek:
Lots of hugs and healing vibes to you tho Pinkyboots!!:) xx

thank you oh dear poor riding buddy hope she is on the mend, I was with my riding buddy when it happened she had to sort the horses out then she drove me to the minor injuries unit, in hindsight should have called an ambulance but I didn't think my leg was that damaged, talking of fat ponies I will have 2 getting fat and unfit now but they are living out at the moment while I am unable to muck out.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sending healing vibes! I've just had to explain to the doctor that 'patient fell off ladder whilst clipping horse' did not mean that I had the ladder propped against said horse ���� ..unfortunately what initially looked like a simple hairline crack in my radius now looks to be badly aggravated by tendon damage so I'm splinted and looking at not riding for a bit, and feeling quite grumpy about it all! Hope you're on the mend!

sorry to hear your laid up as well:) we should have a Christmas laid up party I will bring the mulled wine and mince pies:)