Had a bit of an accident

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Was riding in the school on Tuesday horse trips goes down and basically crushes my left leg, it did really hurt but I did get up and hobble around until I started to feel faint, so got taken to A& E turns out I have fractured it in 2 places and was displaced so after much gas and air for the manipulation they put it in a cast and X rayed again, although it was in a much better position they wanted to operate to put a plate in it, so I had the surgery yesterday and have just got home so feeling a bit sorry for myself not looking forward to not being able to do much for some time.

So would appreciate some of the lovely horse and hound forum healing vibes please and some sympathy and of course if anyone else has done similar I would be very interested in hearing all about it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ouch! Yikes, no wonder it hurt!

Nothing useful to add but sending speedy-recovery-vibes. At least it's winter, not that fun being outside anyway *tries to put a positive spin on it*

SpringArising

Visit site
That sounds awful, I feel faint reading it!

Hope you get better soon. Just goes to show that the horse doesn’t need to be messing around for us to have an accident.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Oh wowzers that sounds horrible, I hope you heal up nicely. Get yourself a cheesecake and a bag of Maltesers :)

When I was 11 horse did same thing as with you. Went to AnE and I broke three toes (one in two places). Plus ankle was all swollen. For three broken toes I was plastered up to my knee, with my broken toes poking out the end, for six weeks. Great fun.

Let's hear some more injury stories, will make OP feel a little bit better while she's eating the cheesecake and Maltesers

Allykat

Visit site
I once did similar but not as bad as yours. My horse lost his back end on a corner in the school and went down. He was so careful not to to roll on me but he did crush my foot from the side. I managed to get up and carry on, put horse to bed and drove home. Sat with foot in iced water and then elevated it. It looked fine until I went to go upstairs to bed and I couldn't even put my foot to the floor let alone put any weight on it. I went to A&E the following morning and a quick xray revealed it was just bruised...thankfully.

I know how much that hurt so I really feel for you. Get well soon and I hope it heals quickly x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ouch! Yikes, no wonder it hurt!

Nothing useful to add but sending speedy-recovery-vibes. At least it's winter, not that fun being outside anyway *tries to put a positive spin on it*

thanks I know it is pretty freezing at the moment especially coming out of a boiling hot hospital it was a bit of a shock today.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh wowzers that sounds horrible, I hope you heal up nicely. Get yourself a cheesecake and a bag of Maltesers :)

When I was 11 horse did same thing as with you. Went to AnE and I broke three toes (one in two places). Plus ankle was all swollen. For three broken toes I was plastered up to my knee, with my broken toes poking out the end, for six weeks. Great fun.

Let's hear some more injury stories, will make OP feel a little bit better while she's eating the cheesecake and Maltesers

oh I have plenty of sweets and chocolate to keep me busy yes I want to hear more stories:)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I once did similar but not as bad as yours. My horse lost his back end on a corner in the school and went down. He was so careful not to to roll on me but he did crush my foot from the side. I managed to get up and carry on, put horse to bed and drove home. Sat with foot in iced water and then elevated it. It looked fine until I went to go upstairs to bed and I couldn't even put my foot to the floor let alone put any weight on it. I went to A&E the following morning and a quick xray revealed it was just bruised...thankfully.

I know how much that hurt so I really feel for you. Get well soon and I hope it heals quickly x

it is scary and just happened so quickly lucky you didn't break anything x

Spanny

Visit site
Oh wow! Poor you, that sounds awful - I can’t believe you managed to hobble around at all. Pretty much just seconding what everyone else has said - lots of sympathy and healing vibes. Take plenty of time to rest (it’s probably taken even more out of you than you realise). It’s probably also worth getting in touch with a good physio (if you haven’t already), as when you’re ready for it I’m sure they could help guide your recovery/rehab. Hopefully it won’t take too long and you’ll be fighting again before you know it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh poor you and just before Christmas too!!! Lots of vibes heading your way.

<<<<<<<<vibes>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know rubbish timing I am eating out Christmas day will still be hobbling on crutches and in Jan my oh is 50 and we have a whole weekend booked in London with friends coming down, it really couldn't have come at worse time.

Velcrobum

Visit site
A slight positive plating stabilises everything so healing can speed up a bit. By Christmas you will probably be a lot more mobile than you think you will be so enjoy having people run fetch and carry for you!!

Most recent injury was dislocated ring finger last June. 2 years ago same horse was spooked by something when out in the field I effectively got booted into the fence 4 stitches in my head and some spectacular bruises. Worst injury fracturing at least 6 ribs where they join the spine - miles from anywhere in Argentina. They did not x-ray my thoracic spine but the fractures can be seen on the lumbar spine x-ray. I was also knocked out so concussion as well. That was not much fun especially as the strongest analgesia I was given was paracetamol.

windand rain

Visit site
I did much the same to my ankle the pony wrapped electric fence round him and me then b olted off dragging me behind him. I got up caught the pony cleaned his burns from the tape, walked him up then trotted him to make sure he was ok. I then decided perhaps I should go to A&E so went home had a showe,r couldnt get into the bath, shaved my legs and trotted off to hospital the biggest pain I had was in my knee but the doc ignored that and manipulated and put a pot on my ankle, my leg was at an odd angle but I was walking wounded so carried on. Ankle recovered really quickly but knee still hurt like hell. Walked about for 5 months with a badly smashed knee after me complaining long and hard they decided to do an MRI of my knee it was in so many pieces they had disintegrated and now I have no knee joint. I need a knee replacement but havent the time so will carry on while I can still walk. Only real pain issues is it bend the wrong way especially on stairs. I hope you recover quickly it took 4 weeks for my ankle to mend and I am old if you are young it could be a lot quicker

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
OUCH &#128547;&#128547; Poor you..... Are your horses on livery, or do you have somebody at home to help you?

Healing vibes and hugs from me x x x

Fiona

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Many healing vibes coming your way and wishing you a speedy recovery.

My worst horse related injury was dislocating my shoulder throwing an empty feed bucket at an aggressive horse when it attacked me and the horse I was with in the field. Overthrow of a lightweight object - very common apparently. But it was several hours till I was got to A&E (the wilds of Scotland in mid winter) and it was completely dislocated. After that, it kept on dislocating , even sometimes just if I’d laid wrong in bed. About a year later they finally offered me surgery to fix it, the recovery from which entailed 3 months with my arm strapped to my torso to immobilise it. Very unpleasant all round - especially the pressure sores on the inside of my arm and the side of my boob, from being strapped up. But I have an impressive, though very neat, 5 inch surgical scar across my shoulder as a memento...

katastrophykat

Visit site
best wishes- I truly feel your pain! pm me if you want a sounding board.

ooo... where to start. three years ago I had a rotational fall while jumping in the arena at the yard. smashed my collarbone into a few pieces and had an op to fix- bones took a good 6-8 months to knit and we had all manner of issues with it along the way. then last year they decided to take the metalwork out as it was catching on seatbelts etc. it came through the op intact then broke at 6am 5 weeks later when I woke up and stretched in bed. Then 10 days later it went at 2am while I was sleeping and they left it 2 months before operating to refit metalwork. 2 weeks later I missed a step and put my right arm out- same again. metalwork out and a huge full length plate put back in. so then 10 weeks after that I was given the go ahead to drive my horse again, so I did- he was fit and ready to go so off we went to a two day club event and turned over the carriage in the first obstacle. I knew it was a biggie, my foot hit the ground just before the carriage did and was crushed under the side of the carriage, then as my horse was still going forwards, my foot remained in the ground and the leg was taken with the carriage. so 6 or so fractures down the tibia, and a very dislocated ankle. two weeks in hospital in an x fix, a major infection and two operations and I was sent home with a big cast on for 6 weeks, then a boot for the next 6 or so weeks. I'm just starting strength work with the physio 5 months on and its sore. there's another op to come to remove a pin between my Tib & Fib, as it was put in to replace a ligament that was trashed and needs to come out before it shears... but then that's hopefully an end to it. I've decided that I've had my run of crap luck and that from now on it's all going to go to plan!!

Abi90

Visit site
Ouch! I broke my collar bone in July and whilst healed it's still not right.

Don't rush your recovery, let yourself rest, donot let yourself be rushed back to work (my collar bone is still painful because I was made to go back to work too soon m and then because I was in it was assumed I was fine to carry on as normal).

Weather is rubbish, no need to be outside anyway! Take it easy and enjoy being looked after if someone is!

Sending you healing vibes!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Ouch! Sending you big healing vibes, and make sure you don't try and do too much too soon! (Coming from experience).

My worst (and only) fall from my boy was at a camping weekend at the yard. We were doing gymkhana games (on a 17.3hh-er :D ) and he was waaaaay too excited. We finished a race so I was waiting with no reins or stirrups, and someone on his off side went to hand something to me and he shot off sideways and I came out the side door. Spent a few mins on the floor, very winded and a lot of lower back pain, but I was thinking it was coccyx; carried on the day, had drinks that night with everyone, slept in the tent on a camp bed.. missed the sports day the next day but help everyone put everything away and drove home. Then I took a tumble down the stairs as I couldn't feel my right leg properly and called 111 who sent ambulance. Turns out I had a compression fracture of the spine. Ooops!

cobsarefab

Visit site
Hope you feel better soon!
I think my worst fall was about a year and a half ago. I got put on a horse that was on steroids in a jumping field. I didn't know he was on steroids at the time and me being an indestructible 12 year old thought did it I'll just do a double straight with a horse I've never ridden before. I got bucked so very high and hit my head twice on the way down before landing on my head. I heard the noise of my head hit something and thought oh ***** before I hit the ground. I've no idea whether I had concussion as I didn't go to A&E. Instructor had me back on and jumping on the school in 5 minutes. What was not realised was that the most damage had been done to my back. It had been twisted and remains incorrect to this day. Wonder how much we'd get if we filed a lawsuit for that! :D

Wimbles

Visit site
Oh poor you! Really hope that your recovery is rapid.

I'm another victim of a trip! Finished jumping, went round the corner, horse tripped *slightly* and off I went, nearly removing my arm in the process!

I had a lot of metalwork put in and my advice is to follow your consultants instructions completely and when allowed crack on with the physio as much as you can. Swimming was a massive help to me.