Half clipped horses- what rugs are yours wearing today? If any

Horsekaren

Visit site
As the title really
Half clipped cob, the rest of his coat is moderatly thick but not very dense. Temperature was up to 6 degrees for two hours , rest of the day was between- 1 and 4 degrees. Horse was out from 6 until 6 opted for a 50g and he came in with a right grump on :( didn feel to hot or to cold. Just curious to know what everyone else is doing ?

Griffin

Visit site
My half clipped pony was in a 200g combo last night because it was -2 but is now back in her 100g tonight and tomorrow (will take detachable neck off in the morning). She seems fine with 100g down to about 3 Celsius as long as it's dry. If it's wet, I put her heavier rugs on.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My half clipped young horse was in a 100g standard turnout today. Her fully clipped fieldmate was in a 200g with neck and her other very hairy but elderly fieldmate was in a 200g standard turnout. The 25 year old very nesh unclipped but short haired ISH was in a heavyweight with neck.

Jo1987

Visit site
My hunter clipped cob is out in a 100g standard neck and is plenty warm enough - if he was ‘half clipped’ I think he’d be in a lightweight or his 70g? He doesn’t really feel the cold and has as lib hay in the field so not sure if that makes much difference?!

JJS

Visit site
My unclipped horses were naked except for my old cushings pony, who was wrapped up warm in a 100g. I'd probably have gone for something slightly higher than 50g in your case, OP, but they're all different, so I'd just view it as a lesson learned, take your grumpy coblet's opinion into account, and try him in something heavier should the temperature drop again.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
100g rug with no neck - but he does have a massive thick mane. Lives out 24/7 on quite an open hill at the moment. Was quite toasty in 3 degrees this morning.

little_critter

Visit site
I'm mean. Pony is over weight, has a low trace clip but the coat she has left is thick. She was out rugless today. It was around freezing when I turned out and +5 degrees when I brought in. She was fine. I check her morning and evening to check she is coping without a rug and she has been fine so far.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Rain sheet with no fill and no neck on when I want to ride to stop him being a mud monster. Otherwise no rug. Live in Scotland and last winter he hardly had a rug on as was not in work due to injury. Helps me control his weight

Beausmate

Visit site
Nothing. It's going to have to get properly cold before they have any rugs on, as they are both too bloody fat!

The oldies (both tb) are unclipped, one is naked as he loathes rugs with a passion and the other is in a 200gm standard neck until the weather warms up to about 8 degrees plus, then he will be naked too, with the occasional rain sheet if it's pouring.

They have a field shelter, access to stables and haylage on tap. I'm not that mean :p

amandaco2

Visit site
My 4

Blanket clip done about 3 weeks ago...had 3 full clips in months before that..currently living out in combo fly rug.shes quite fluffy tho.

Big bib clip, living out un rugged.
Bib clip-un rugged.
Not clipped but not that fluffy.un rugged.

Auslander

Visit site
Clipped three today - one full clip, one chaser and one dealer clip. The full clipped one is in a medium weight at the moment, but will have a heavy on tonight, and every night until she has a- acclimatised to being hairless, and b- grown a bit of coat. Ideally, I'd like her in a mw again by mid December, so that I can use the hw when it gets really cold.

The other two have mw's on - they shouldn't need anything heavier. I'll be keeping an eye on them for the next few days though.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Chaser clip, and wearing an old 200g rug. He's grey and there's no flipping way he's being turned out naked til at least March. #hippo #whydoeshedoittome

claracanter

Visit site
My Tb has a chaser clip. He's in a 250g rug he's had for 5 years. I haven't put the neck on yet as he doesn't need it. For a TB he doesn't seem to feel the cold much and was fine in this for the whole of last winter

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Its a hateful time of year for rug decisions :(

isn't it just! Happily my partly clipped one has more or less grown out so she's gone feral and only has a rainsheet if it's going to be really wet... the other is fully clipped and such a hot thing she is also still in her rainsheet :D

Will need to think about giving salty a trace clip soon so will be back to rug dilemmas :rolleyes:

Fiona

Visit site
isn't it just! Happily my partly clipped one has more or less grown out so she's gone feral and only has a rainsheet if it's going to be really wet... the other is fully clipped and such a hot thing she is also still in her rainsheet :D

Will need to think about giving salty a trace clip soon so will be back to rug dilemmas :rolleyes:

Is M completely retired now?

Fionn is OK, because he has a PE rug with liners (so plenty of options), but S only has rainsheet/MW/HM and pony only has rainsheet and MW..

Fingers crossed its to get cold again at the weekend :)

Fiona

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Is M completely retired now?

yep, can't take the heartbreak of trying again even though she does seem to be perfectly sound...so she's well roughed off and getting up to mischief... nearly time to boot her off to a retirement field, will do that when the new one is out of quarantine.

Auslander

Visit site
The full clipped one is in a medium weight at the moment, but will have a heavy on tonight, and every night until she has a- acclimatised to being hairless, and b- grown a bit of coat.

Prime example of how you have to be adaptable, based on the horse in front of you. Madam is more than warm enough in her mediumweight, so heavyweight had a walk across the field, then went straight back into the haybarn!

pansymouse

Visit site
My TB x Section D has an Irish clip and is in a zero fill rain sheet; she's a hot horse and doesn't need any more. Her delicate flower cob chum who has the same hairstyle is in a 40g but he's always a couple of degrees cooler than her.

Fiona

Visit site
yep, can't take the heartbreak of trying again even though she does seem to be perfectly sound...so she's well roughed off and getting up to mischief... nearly time to boot her off to a retirement field, will do that when the new one is out of quarantine.

So sorry.. We've just been through the same with Flora (is away to retirement field), and we are hoping she is tough enough to winter out...

Fiona