half halts, roundness

JFTDWS

Visit site
Virtually nothing stops me cantering :p We've just been going for mega long walks out after doing fast work (on a surface) to cool off.

Mule

Visit site
I payed a lot of attention to keeping my shoulders square when I was riding today. It definitely helped. If I'm not vigilant about my them I can get a bit hunched... Sometimes I just feel sorry for my poor horse;)

Mule

Visit site
Virtually nothing stops me cantering :p We've just been going for mega long walks out after doing fast work (on a surface) to cool off.

I love our long walk hacks. Very relaxing, but still lots to look at. I was planning on hacking him around the fields the other day and I did get up on him in the field but then he marched off into the arena. Apparently he wanted to work. Makes a change!

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I love our long walk hacks. Very relaxing, but still lots to look at. I was planning on hacking him around the fields the other day and I did get up on him in the field but then he marched off into the arena. Apparently he wanted to work. Makes a change!

I have 3 horses in work - long walk hacks, especially after a fast session, are a bit of a drag by the time you get to the third :eek3: I get through a lot of audiobooks to ease the tedium of it - I vary the routes, but I still end up on some tracks on each horse one after the other.

Mule

Visit site
I have 3 horses in work - long walk hacks, especially after a fast session, are a bit of a drag by the time you get to the third :eek3: I get through a lot of audiobooks to ease the tedium of it - I vary the routes, but I still end up on some tracks on each horse one after the other.

I find audio books great. I always have them on in the car. I've started listening to them when I'm hacking aswell.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Anyway, we are digressing.
Horsekaren, I also applaud your constant effort to do well by your gorgeous pony & I follow your posts closely, as I also have the same lack of confidence in myself & you ask GOOD questions, although I have some good friends with lots of knowledge close at hand.

Dave is also my first pony, so we're in it together!

Mule

Visit site
I'd kill for all weather gallops. Would make my life complete!

I used to have access to gallops about a 20 minute drive from me. There was also a hard surface at the perimeter that was perfect for off-road roadwork. I used to love letting the horse fly on the gallops. His racehorse side of the family used to come out. He loved it:)

The man who owned it passed away last year and unfortunately the new owner isn't hiring out the facilities anymore.

Last edited:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I used to have access to gallops about a 20 minute drive from me. There was also a hard surface at the perimeter that was perfect for off-road roadwork. I used to love letting the horse fly on the gallops. His racehorse side of the family used to come out. He loved it.

The man who owned it passed away last year and unfortunately the new owner isn't hiring out the facilities anymore.

I'm looking forward to riding the tracks at the new yard & hopefully having a lead so Dave can let his handbrake off & find his canter properly.
The tracks are hilly & cover 68 acres, so we might get some of the flab off both of us!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I used to have access to gallops about a 20 minute drive from me. There was also a hard surface at the perimeter that was perfect for off-road roadwork. I used to love letting the horse fly on the gallops. His racehorse side of the family used to come out. He loved it.

Everything seems to be going that way - what a facility to have (and to lose). I have a quarter horse with an epic turn of speed, but I've not had a chance to let her burn yet - the ground's been rubbish, either deep mud or rock hard all year, and my arena is only big enough for short bursts.

Mule

Visit site
I'm looking forward to riding the tracks at the new yard & hopefully having a lead so Dave can let his handbrake off & find his canter properly.
The tracks are hilly & cover 68 acres, so we might get some of the flab off both of us!

68 acres:eek: I'm jealous

Mule

Visit site
Really good schooling session this evening. I was inspired by this thread. So I completely focussed on my own position, shoulders square, arms bent, quiet hands and quiet seat. Also made sure to do lots of half halts for balance.

So, I ignored my horses outline, whether he was on the bit or not and guess what.... He rounded his back and he dropped his head and felt lovely. Sometimes we'd lose our balance and the feeling would go, but overall it was great. It's much more pleasant than constant fiddling. Horse seemed very happy. Big breakthrough:thumbup:

Also I must be turning into a dressage person, as I was thinking about how the jumps in the arena were in the way instead of wanting to jump them:D

Last edited:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Really good schooling session this evening. I was inspired by this thread. So I completely focussed on my own position, shoulders square, arms bent, quiet hands and quiet seat. Also made sure to do lots of half halts for balance.

So, I ignored my horses outline, whether he was on the bit or not and guess what.... He rounded his back and he dropped his head and felt lovely. Sometimes we'd lose our balance and the feeling would go, but overall it was great. It's much more pleasant than constant fiddling. Horse seemed very happy. Big breakthrough:thumbup:

Also I must be turning into a dressage person, as I was thinking about how the jumps in the arena were in the way instead of wanting to jump them:D

Brilliant! I also just pootled about in walk & Dave also felt happy & aside from a bit of stress when 2 horses left the yard for a hack, he was being so relaxed & comfy. It seems that sometimes just chilling & feeling it all in a slow & peaceful way might be good for us all!

Mule

Visit site
Brilliant! I also just pootled about in walk & Dave also felt happy & aside from a bit of stress when 2 horses left the yard for a hack, he was being so relaxed & comfy. It seems that sometimes just chilling & feeling it all in a slow & peaceful way might be good for us all!

Absolutely. Mabey it's like when you try too hard at things. It doesn't tend to work. I'm finding it really useful to spend time figuring stuff out on my own. I find having the time to think things through and experiment is very important for me. I also find competitions stressful so I think I'll focus on learning new things instead, for a while anyway:biggrin4:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I've recently found an absolutely wicked instructor who is really making it click for me & guess what? My new yard is too far away for her. Bah!

So I am having a final lesson with her on Saturday & she's always on the end of the phone, so I'm hoping to reinforce what I've been doing since our last lesson & weld it into my brain!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I love that you're constantly learning with riding. When you figure one thing out then there's something else to learn. It's a great sport for the less athletic among us;)

But it is athletic. You use your body constantly! Weight, hands, legs.

OK, we're not running or cycling or high energy stuff, but we use & train our bodies (and we shovel ****) so we are fit!

Mule

Visit site
But it is athletic. You use your body constantly! Weight, hands, legs.

OK, we're not running or cycling or high energy stuff, but we use & train our bodies (and we shovel ****) so we are fit!

Good point it does take lots of muscle control and body awareness especially. And shovelling **** is great for the arm muscles!

Horsekaren

Visit site
soo i worked loads on myself, being soft and trying to get him to stretch down but he just wont take the bit and stretch, he just puts his head up and gives me washing lines :S
I was watching a lot of those art to ride videos which i thought were amazing how the horses stretch down on a long rein but he doesn't. Is there a way to encourage him to do that? if he works hard then has a stretch but he always pops back up

LMSmith

Visit site
soo i worked loads on myself, being soft and trying to get him to stretch down but he just wont take the bit and stretch, he just puts his head up and gives me washing lines :S
I was watching a lot of those art to ride videos which i thought were amazing how the horses stretch down on a long rein but he doesn't. Is there a way to encourage him to do that? if he works hard then has a stretch but he always pops back up

Your reins should never get long enough to become washing lines when trying to encourage him to stretch. You always want to have a good contact down the rein. Try widening and lowing the hands whilst slowly lengthening the reins but still keeping a good contact.

I have a new horse at the moment who dosnt know how to stretch either. It can be a long process teaching a horse to stretch but if you keep practising after each ride you will get there. When you have finished schooling and are cooling him down, don't just let him wander about at his leisure. Keep asking him to stretch and make use of this cooling down period as part of the schooling session.

Mule

Visit site

I use a technique to encourage stretching called combing the reins. It's best to do an internet search for it but I'll try to describe it.
You want to comb the reins through your hands by using a hand-over-hand motion and let the reins slide through your fingers. The horse takes contact with the reins by stretching down and taking the reins through your fingers. The reins will glide through your fingers when the horse takes up the contact. Keep combing until the horse takes the contact and stretches into it. You can ask him to stretch lower by continuing to do it.

They seem to enjoy the feeling of it because even the types that aren't natural stretchers respond to it. Use smooth reins, without any grips so when you're combing the reins you're doing it smoothly rather than jerking.

Here's a video showing it. Although the rider in the video is showing it in the halt I'd only do it when the horse is in motion because you have forward momentum to encourage the stretch. If done at the halt it might feel constricting to the horse. http://thequestforequipoise.blogspot.com/2011/12/combing-reins.html?m=1

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
This is a link to a really good YouTube series.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emiller1234

The rider explains how to give the aids according to learning theory. It makes them easier for the horse (and rider) to understand. There are videos on groundwork as well as ridden work. There's no flowery language and it's explained clearly.

Last edited: