Ham Spam

scats

Visit site
Beautiful hams!!! ??? Such good photos as well, I feel like I take 90 for one where she isn't a blurry monster

Videos are easier!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love it. I never think of taking videos, I must give it a try!

I bought the girls new water bottles that suction onto the tank. I don’t have bars so I was relying on free standing water bottles, but Ffion was always knocking hers over.
Anyway, these suction bottles have 2 sucker cups and seemed good and secure... put them in and both hamsters climbed up and nibbled one sucker cup so they no longer stick and the bottles kept tipping forwards and dripping everywhere. Fortunately a bit of DIY fixed the problem. Little horrors!

smolmaus

Visit site
Oh no! Honestly I could have told you not to bother with the suckers, I did the same thing a few years ago and they all just got chewed to bits. As did industrial velcro I replaced it with and the gorilla tape I used to try and save the velcro ? They're all horrors!!

The most horrific of my girls I used a thick cardboard tube (the stripey ones from p@h) with a slit cut in it for the water bottle spout and sunk that in a plantpot holder full of sand (and shaped like a hedgehog). She never successfully tipped this over, though she did climb it and loudly fall off quite a lot.
blLsH69l.jpg

And a better photo of Jin (rip) with them mid-construction because that one is just terrible of her
3sKb6P4l.jpg

IrishMilo

Visit site
Oh I missed all these cute new pics!

My two are 'officially' tame now. Betty (chocolate and white) is definitely the more inquisitive of the two and will happily climb onto my hand. She's basically free range - I make a ramp up to her cage and when she's had enough of running around will take herself back off to her house to bed. Dylan's discovered the fun of climbing the radiator.

151889248_735149430726931_1449324022741239914_o.jpg

152466937_735149474060260_3908896508326856255_o.jpg

152022511_735150307393510_4662373966392536303_o.jpg

scats

Visit site
Oh I missed all these cute new pics!

My two are 'officially' tame now. Betty (chocolate and white) is definitely the more inquisitive of the two and will happily climb onto my hand. She's basically free range - I make a ramp up to her cage and when she's had enough of running around will take herself back off to her house to bed. Dylan's discovered the fun of climbing the radiator.

151889248_735149430726931_1449324022741239914_o.jpg

152466937_735149474060260_3908896508326856255_o.jpg

152022511_735150307393510_4662373966392536303_o.jpg

They are so gorgeous!

smolmaus

Visit site
My first ham used to climb the curtains. The first time she did it I was looking for her for ages, until I looked up and saw her sitting on top of the curtain pole!
WOW ? stuff of nightmares!!! I had one would try and climb the curtains but was luckily terrible at it

The worst I've had was Jin I posted above, up the radiator, onto the bed, onto her cage lid, across to the windowsill, somehow getting across gap onto the sill that should have been impossible then jumping off the windowsill and biting through my finger when I caught her. All within about 40 seconds ? so smart but also so so stupid

IrishMilo

Visit site
So upset - just went to check on the hams and Betty has died. No idea why - she was fine yesterday. I feel l did something wrong ?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
So upset - just went to check on the hams and Betty has died. No idea why - she was fine yesterday. I feel l did something wrong ?

Oh no, poor you! I'm so sorry, what a shock.

But looking at the pictures of your lovely set up, I'm sure you've done nothing wrong, sometimes things go wrong unexpectedly with their bodies, just like it can with ours. Or perhaps she simply was older than what her seller told you.

R.I.P. Betty. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Last edited:

IrishMilo

Visit site
Oh no, poor you! I'm so sorry, what a shock.

But looking at the pictures of your lovely set up, I'm sure you've done nothing wrong, sometimes things go wrong unexpectedly with their bodies, just like it can with ours. Or perhaps she simply was older than what her seller told you.

R.I.P. Betty. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Thank you FL x

smolmaus

Visit site
Oh IM I'm so sorry :( Please don't blame yourself at all. It could have been a dozen different things you couldn't have known about. The way they have been bred for so long means they can have so many thing wrong with them that you just can't predict. I've lost two girls very suddenly with no warning myself, I know it's difficult not to think you must have done something but there's no point torturing yourself.

She was loved and well cared for while she was with you and bless her, at least she wasn't suffering. Rest in Peace Betty ???

IrishMilo

Visit site
Oh IM I'm so sorry :( Please don't blame yourself at all. It could have been a dozen different things you couldn't have known about. The way they have been bred for so long means they can have so many thing wrong with them that you just can't predict. I've lost two girls very suddenly with no warning myself, I know it's difficult not to think you must have done something but there's no point torturing yourself.

She was loved and well cared for while she was with you and bless her, at least she wasn't suffering. Rest in Peace Betty ???

Thanks Smol. It sounds ridiculous to anyone who doesn't understand how you can get attached to something so little, but I cried like a baby!

smolmaus

Visit site
Thanks Smol. It sounds ridiculous to anyone who doesn't understand how you can get attached to something so little, but I cried like a baby!

Small in stature, huge in spirit! It does seem hard for people to understand who've never fallen in love with them but don't let anyone make you feel ridiculous for mourning. She was your friend and she deserves to be missed.

I'm getting teary myself here tbh. You just end up with so many small holes in your heart with rodents. If the world was fair they'd live to 30.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Love doesn't care about the size of your pet, or how long you've owned, or cared for them, love just is.

Hamsters are cute, adorable, and liven up your home in the evenings. I read somewhere that regardless of size, pets offer non-judgemental companionship.
Some people thinks it's only a pet that have died, even when the pet was a huge horse weighing almost the same as a small car. However, I don't think it's always a matter of ignorance, or lack of empathy, I think it sometimes is a matter about people not knowing how to handle grief. So they try to brush it under the carpet, or minimize it, by saying things like "Oh, but they're so small"/"But it's just a pet"/...

But you're not alone @IrishMilo , there is those who understand how much it can hurt to lose a small pet. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

1*lAW25ZyzNTVCGrMP74xmoQ.png

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
My sincere condolences IM.
Size doesn’t matter, you cared so well and loved Betty so dearly because she was Betty, and I’m another who is saying you did absolutely nothing wrong. RIP beautiful girl.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Happened to come across a Hamster Time song video on YouTube. Not the best song I've heard, but I thought it was somewhat cute, so decided to share it, in case it might amuse someone else who like Hamsters:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.