Happy hacker horses

TPO

Visit site
If you are purely looking for a stop gap then why dont you look for a loan or share for 6-12mths?

The risk with a stop gap is that it's a year or so older when you want to sell it and anything could happen in that time.

I'm a big pathetic soppy so and so but if the horse is just "the stop gap" will you feel as motivated to do as much and will that horse be enough to keep you enthusiastic if your heart isn't in it?

Personally I think if you can find something you feel comfortable on, enjoy riding and it's safe to hack and handle then buy it. All the spit and polish can come later via the work you put in if you have any competitive aims.

Look at how Bailey improved with the work you done, imagine what putting serious work into a more established horse would achieve. I think the poster is HorseKaren and even in the short time I've seen their posts there has been an improvement in her cob with all the effort she is putting in. Her dedication to her horse certainly inspires me.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Personally I think if you can find something you feel comfortable on, enjoy riding and it's safe to hack and handle then buy it. All the spit and polish can come later via the work you put in if you have any competitive aims.

This. I don't think I understand what you are looking for, any more. If you want to hack, buy something that will hack, don't even consider something that is nervous in traffic. Most horses that will hack will do anything that I understood that you want to do - a bit of low level competition. Have you now decided you want something to do higher level competitions on you are going to have to spend considerably more than £3000, I'm afraid.
And I would bother about calling the next horse a 'stop gap', you are quite used to selling horses on, this will just be your next horse until you decide to sell it on.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
An interesting thread this, particularly the mixed reactions to the phrase "happy hackers", and people's perception of "happy hacking" horses.

All I will add to the pot, is to say that a true "Happy Hacker" horse is like hen's teeth to find: and if you do, you can expect to pay a very silly price indeed for it!! Simply because this is what everyone wants, particularly with the roads getting ever more lethal and horses having to deal with stuff they never used to have to face years ago when some of us oldies started riding!

When I was looking for a happy hacker horse not so long ago, it took me eighteen months to even find anything half decent that did what it said on the tin - and the asking price for this sort of horse tends to be round about the £3000 if it IS as good as they say it is!

Happy hackers are usually adaptable little horses who'll quite happily pop round a course, or are even up for a little WH class or whatever, simply because they are a pretty unflappable variety!

I know of a certain well-known Devon (female) eventer, who "happy hacks" all of her youngsters and they go out on to the roads and see all sorts of stuff right at the start, which stands them in good stead for the future.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
This. I don't think I understand what you are looking for, any more. If you want to hack, buy something that will hack, don't even consider something that is nervous in traffic. Most horses that will hack will do anything that I understood that you want to do - a bit of low level competition. Have you now decided you want something to do higher level competitions on you are going to have to spend considerably more than £3000, I'm afraid.
And I would bother about calling the next horse a 'stop gap', you are quite used to selling horses on, this will just be your next horse until you decide to sell it on.

No, I dont particularly want to compete.
Sorry I know I'm confusing, you're not the only one to say it believe me.
It's extremely hard to explain things via the written word to be honest.
I suspect the last paragraph of the above was a little barbed but frankly it's not far off the mark, which is why I'm "trying" to do the right thing to get my keeper. It's not like I'm enjoying this crap to be fair...having to sell Jester broke me, I never ever thought I'd have to part with him and since then no other horse has made me feel the way he did, I think that's the bottom line. And yes, I know partnerships have to be worked at etc but if you aren't "into" it then it's very hard.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
No, I dont particularly want to compete.
Sorry I know I'm confusing, you're not the only one to say it believe me.
It's extremely hard to explain things via the written word to be honest.
I suspect the last paragraph of the above was a little barbed but frankly it's not far off the mark, which is why I'm "trying" to do the right thing to get my keeper. It's not like I'm enjoying this crap to be fair...having to sell Jester broke me, I never ever thought I'd have to part with him and since then no other horse has made me feel the way he did, I think that's the bottom line. And yes, I know partnerships have to be worked at etc but if you aren't "into" it then it's very hard.
What do you actually want that you currently cannot find?

TPO

Visit site
no other horse has made me feel the way he did, I think that's the bottom line.

And yes, I know partnerships have to be worked at etc but if you aren't "into" it then it's very hard.

I think you've hit the nail on its head.

Personally I'd say stop looking so hard, actually take a real step back. The right horse WILL find you. Dont force it, settle or make do. Like you knew with Jester you'll know with your next new one.

Don't go looking for a "band aid" pony.

It sucks being horseless and it sucks paying rent for a space but it sucks more having the wrong horse and throwing good money after bad.

Heck I'd even say blow some of your money on a holiday/weekend away and properly chill out. Based on your posts since getting Bailey it's been really full on for you and like you're pickling yourself. Be kind to you!!

Horse shopping/finding your new "one" should be enjoyable

Michen

Visit site
Just had a look at this.
The hunting photo looks to have him in a slotted kimblewick on the bottom hole. That suggests strong as iron and takes a bit of getting through to?

Why? My horse is in a snaffle for absolutely everything, including XC. Hunting I've yet to find a perfect bit but a Pelham with two reins is the best I've got.

OP doesn't hunt. Lot's of horses need bitting up for hunting when they don't in any other aspect of their lives.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so why are you looking for something which can compete as per your previous thread. any decent horse will do low level riding club, pleasure rides etc so you need to look for is a horse that is safe out hacking. however if you want over 16 hands weight carrier that is safe, you are looking for a very popular type of horse. as i have said many times before, they are out there if you are prepared to have something that is a little older and are prepared to be quick to get to try them...over the last week or so there have been a few that looked suitable a little over your budget but you need to be quick.....i think the idea of a stop gap horse is a bad one, it means you will have to go through selling and then trawling through ads again and maybe the stop gap wont sell because if it is cheap, it will be cheap for a reason. slightly smaller horses are cheaper but i believe you sold one that you felt wasnt tall enough. maybe stop looking until you have at least £4000 saved.....

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm not looking for something to compete, I said I wanted to do some low level jumping and xc but for fun not competition.
I am open to something older, though it's not my preference and have actually looked at 2.
I have been trying to get to look at horses asap but can only go when the sellers allow..!!

Summit

Visit site
I think to loan in your situation is the best bet. It wouldn’t be fair to have a horse as a stop gap, to be sold on again in what could be a short period, plus what if you found your ideal horse but couldn’t sell your stop gap? :(

siennamiller

Visit site
An interesting thread this, particularly the mixed reactions to the phrase "happy hackers", and people's perception of "happy hacking" horses.

All I will add to the pot, is to say that a true "Happy Hacker" horse is like hen's teeth to find: and if you do, you can expect to pay a very silly price indeed for it!! Simply because this is what everyone wants, particularly with the roads getting ever more lethal and horses having to deal with stuff they never used to have to face years ago when some of us oldies started riding!

When I was looking for a happy hacker horse not so long ago, it took me eighteen months to even find anything half decent that did what it said on the tin - and the asking price for this sort of horse tends to be round about the £3000 if it IS as good as they say it is!

Happy hackers are usually adaptable little horses who'll quite happily pop round a course, or are even up for a little WH class or whatever, simply because they are a pretty unflappable variety!

I know of a certain well-known Devon (female) eventer, who "happy hacks" all of her youngsters and they go out on to the roads and see all sorts of stuff right at the start, which stands them in good stead for the future.

I disagree, my mare was £1100 because she was a bit skinny. She was absolutely the best happy hacker, bombproof to everything she came across, lovely nature, and then also took me BS most weekends up to 1m, around BE80 very easily, and open Huntertrials (that’s her in my avatar), I took her on my own everywhere and had a great time.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Why? My horse is in a snaffle for absolutely everything, including XC. Hunting I've yet to find a perfect bit but a Pelham with two reins is the best I've got.

OP doesn't hunt. Lot's of horses need bitting up for hunting when they don't in any other aspect of their lives.
I didn't mean the comment to paint the horse in a negative way.

Mine would need bitting up to go hunting as she is strong, willful and has a neck of iron.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

here is the advert -
Striking looking Cob x Shire mare , 8 year old ( 9 this year )
Not a novice ride as forward going but dose not buck or rear just likes to get on with the job .

Does not like working in the school - gets anxious

But loves hacking ,and jumping , very brave XC - has team chased and showjumping has been out with the drag hounds too

Has bred a foal with previous owners so potential as a broodmare also .

Perfect manners , loads , farrier , clipping , worming , dentist ,
Stands at the mounting block , great in stable , no vices at all .
Would suit a teenager or someone that just wants to hack , jump etc and not trot in circles like we do lol....

Sold from field as not ridden since Christmas due to new horse .
Good home essential

Priced for quick sale and reflection of not in work
( although did tack up and jump on for pictures and not an issue)

Let me read it for you. IF there is Shire in there, that will be where the anxiety comes from. Not a novice ride - might not buck or rear but likes to go forwards - you will need nerves of steel and like speed. Doesn't like the school - uneducated 9 year old thug. Brave XC - team chased, show jumps and hunts - in your dreams. Sold from field - owner terrified of it. Suit a teenager - with no fear and no idea of what a safe horse feels like. Broodmare potential - awful conformation and resembles a boat.

The advert is truthful - it is rubbish and the owner has admitted it.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Whilst I wouldn't call a horse "rubbish" - it's the product of poor breeding and training, but it's still an animal and it's not its fault - I think AA's reading between the lines is a reasonable interpretation of that sort of advert.

Mule

Visit site
here is the advert -
Striking looking Cob x Shire mare , 8 year old ( 9 this year )
Not a novice ride as forward going but dose not buck or rear just likes to get on with the job .

Does not like working in the school - gets anxious

But loves hacking ,and jumping , very brave XC - has team chased and showjumping has been out with the drag hounds too

Has bred a foal with previous owners so potential as a broodmare also .

Perfect manners , loads , farrier , clipping , worming , dentist ,
Stands at the mounting block , great in stable , no vices at all .
Would suit a teenager or someone that just wants to hack , jump etc and not trot in circles like we do lol....

Sold from field as not ridden since Christmas due to new horse .
Good home essential

Priced for quick sale and reflection of not in work
( although did tack up and jump on for pictures and not an issue)

Let me read it for you. IF there is Shire in there, that will be where the anxiety comes from. Not a novice ride - might not buck or rear but likes to go forwards - you will need nerves of steel and like speed. Doesn't like the school - uneducated 9 year old thug. Brave XC - team chased, show jumps and hunts - in your dreams. Sold from field - owner terrified of it. Suit a teenager - with no fear and no idea of what a safe horse feels like. Broodmare potential - awful conformation and resembles a boat.

The advert is truthful - it is rubbish and the owner has admitted it.
Do shires tend to be anxious?

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Mine has a % of Shire and yes she can be anxious but I wouldn't necessarily link the dots.

I read the advert above as likes to get on with the job - regardless of whether the rider is involved or not, or even on board.