Hard ground and riding

SEL

Visit site
When I rode in Spain we cantered up stony tracks and the horses still lived to a rip old age. Not sure hard ground is as much as a problem as we make it out to be.
For various reasons over past 5 years I've had hoof X rays done on 3 horses

One is ex logging and vet said she'd only seen damage like that (ringbone, sidebone) in horses who had done significant trotting on roads. He's got harness scars so that's highly likely.

Another has been a broodmare so can only have driven for 2 years max but her hooves show similar bone damage. She wasn't "foot lame" when they were taken (ligament injury higher up leg) but now I know the damage that's there she'll be walking on tarmac for ever more.

The other has never been hammered on hard ground and has no damage despite her legs being too fine for her body. Lots going on elsewhere but feet are great

Maybe some horses are more adapted to harder terrain but just because you can't see the damage doesn't mean it isn't there.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Yes I've just shared a FB post pleading people not to canter on stubble in dry areas for that reason.

I think I may have stated the same post. It said 100 horses already have been put down due to people being idiots ( not quite worded like like that!!)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
When I rode in Spain we cantered up stony tracks and the horses still lived to a rip old age. Not sure hard ground is as much as a problem as we make it out to be.

My horse (from Spain) doesn't think twice about stony tracks (he's unshod), and has hooves that are well adapted to hard and rocky terrain. So this weather is no problem for him, but his hooves are made for it. So I can imagine others not having such an easy time. I've tried steering him onto "better ground" aka not the rocky or gravel part of the path, but he usually wanders back onto the worse bits, unphased ?

Fortunately, no cracks in my immediate area, yet. There is rain in the forecast for next week and I'm considering doing a rain dance so that it actually happens ? maybe then there is a hope for a 2nd cutting of hay.

I think you can slowly condition a horse to be more tolerant of hard ground, but the key word being slowly. For the most part, even though mine is ok, we've been walking, a bit of trotting, and some cantering after inspecting the ground. We're in a valley that has wetter ground naturally, so some of it is ok.

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
Mine decided he was bored of just walking, and spent 10 minutes cantering round the field yesterday ?

luckily our field is nice and flat, just done dry.

J&S

Visit site
I do mainly walking road ex when I ride and lead my two but yesterday I actually cantered my elderly mare up a grassy track which at other times of the year is a bit heavy going! My friend who takes the companion pony out can ride on her daughter's farm and she has been getting some canters. I check the pony's legs constantly and they are super hard and cool despite being like Sel describes, quite fine for the size of her body.

A sad tale: Some years ago during a very hot dry patch of weather the manager of our local equestrian centre on the edge of the New Forest, would only allow rides to be taken out in walk to save the horses' legs, prolong their active life and generally for their welfare. Riders complained to the owners of the establishment who were not horse people, just business men, and the manager was summarily sacked!

AntiPuck

Visit site
Only walking hacks for the foreseeable over here, I won't risk the concussive force to the legs, especially for a shod horse.

We have access to a hay field to ride in, but it feels like concrete under foot - such a shame as it's only open over Summer. Hoping for some rain soon!

Hallo2012

Visit site
school is fine so schooling as normal, hacking we managed a few canters last week (Cheshire and we had some rain, plus sandy going)

this week will be walk only again but nice to be out and about regardless.

scruffyponies

Visit site

It depends what they are used to.
We regularly steam around on tarmac, so the (barefoot) ponies feet and legs are properly conditioned to it. As a result, they're OK in canter on the fields now. That said, I would say the tarmac has more give in it than the grass at the moment.

We have a young horse who is just starting ridden work. He is in walk and occasional trot only. I estimate 3-4 months before his legs and feet are ready for anything else, and I would treat most arena-soft horses the same.

Annagain

Visit site
The good thing about our woods is that the tracks that are like concrete now are dry enough in the winter for a canter and the tracks that are underwater in winter still have a bit of give in them now. We're also not too far away to box up to the beach, the closest one is only a 10 minute drive away and the really decent one about 30 minutes. The common is far too hard though.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
It depends what they are used to.
We regularly steam around on tarmac, so the (barefoot) ponies feet and legs are properly conditioned to it. As a result, they're OK in canter on the fields now. That said, I would say the tarmac has more give in it than the grass at the moment.

We have a young horse who is just starting ridden work. He is in walk and occasional trot only. I estimate 3-4 months before his legs and feet are ready for anything else, and I would treat most arena-soft horses the same.
I'm not sure their legs can ever be ready to be twisted if they hit unlevel ground ...

Steerpike

Visit site
I've just blocked someone on the Through the horses ears fb page as all she seems to do is gallop her cob everywhere, I winced when I could hear the hard ground under her horses feet in the latest video she shared, I'm not doing fast work, I only trot uphill on the roads if i want to trot on them or in the fields here but they are old turf and still have a tiny bit of spring in them.

Widgeon

Visit site
I'm not sure their legs can ever be ready to be twisted if they hit unlevel ground ...

Well no, but I don't think SP is claiming that - for all we know the fields they have to ride on are not cracked, just harder than might be optimal. And with practice, horses definitely get better at coping with unlevel ground. No one is advocating flat out gallop on a cracked and rutted baked field.

FourWhiteSocks

Visit site
Walking only hacks. CBA with the school as its been so hot. I've been grooming a lot more than riding recently so that must mean i'm VERY bored of walking hacks.

Cob Life

Visit site
It's not just the hard ground, there cracks that are big enough for a foot to go down, so I'm being very careful when off road.
I got my foot stuck down one yesterday!

I have ridden in our hay field as it’s my only option but I was able to check the footing and we only did walk, I think He will really benefit from a few weeks of walk work

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine all still have a scamper around in their fields but the ones that are a bit creaky definitely show how hard the ground is, i would not want to be going any faster than a walk under saddle around here. Never been more grateful to have access to a waxed surface... i know not everyone likes them but for extreme weather they really do provide consistency ;)

Fieldlife

Visit site
Mine all still have a scamper around in their fields but the ones that are a bit creaky definitely show how hard the ground is, i would not want to be going any faster than a walk under saddle around here. Never been more grateful to have access to a waxed surface... i know not everyone likes them but for extreme weather they really do provide consistency ;)

Do you not trot on roads? I do with barefoot horse (with thin pads in front boots). Our drier ground that is flat is no harder than the road, I do some trotting on it.

milliepops

Visit site
Only to get out of the way of cars. stopped trotting my horses up the roads on purpose years ago :p I used to use fields and tracks for fitness, have access to gallops now.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Only to get out of the way of cars. stopped trotting my horses up the roads on purpose years ago :p I used to use fields and tracks for fitness, have access to gallops now.

Not sure if that is a grass or artificial surface gallops?

My vet's advice is that horse soundness odds are increased it they have access to a wide range of types of surfaces, hard / soft / artificial / natural and terrains and gradients.

He said more than 50% of work on an artificial surface increased the risk of future injury. I do work in an indoor / outdoor school. I hire a surfaced gallop about once a month. I also use roads, grass downs, tracks, old turf canter and gallops etc. I also have a grass arena that still has some give in it. I try and balance workload to avoid more than 50% being on a man made surface.

milliepops

Visit site
both. plus they obviously spend a fair bit of time walking on tarmac or stony tracks (and currently 99% of the time walking on rock hard ground). Not sure why the concern just because i choose to not trot on roads?

Fieldlife

Visit site
both. plus they obviously spend a fair bit of time walking on tarmac or stony tracks (and currently 99% of the time walking on rock hard ground). Not sure why the concern just because i choose to not trot on roads?

I am not concerned what you do with your horses. I asked as you said you work on a waxed school and have local access to gallops. I wondered if a high percentage of your work was on artificial surfaces.

Not connected to whether or not you trot on roads (aside from the fact, you have clearly given ground conditions and concussion a fair bit of thought, so was interested in a wider sense in what you do).

Michen

Visit site
Just walking with the very occasional trot uphill on road if horse being silly. Haven’t used school at yard for months as too deep.

SEL

Visit site
All mine decided to have a gallop round this morning, thankfully avoiding the holes. I was muttering rude words under my breath at them.

I'll put waxed surface on my lottery win list ?

SheriffTruman

Visit site
I do in-hand walks on the road, and road-sides. Don't have good hacking anyway.

On the plus side, we have a brilliant outdoor school (surface is with sand mixed with pieces of carpet, don't know if this has a specific name in English). Rideable in all seasons. Their field is bone hard, but this morning mine showed off his fasted gallop nonetheless. Wondering how he manages to stay sound, and in one piece, given his daily shenanigans.

lynz88

Visit site
I'm wondering if mine is feeling the ground more than normal. He has some pretty bad arthritis and struggled in shoes so would not be surprised if he is struggling with this ground now. I've not experienced this level of dry before. The past few weeks he's started to get stuffy but notice a huge difference as soon as he gets onto ground that has mostly been shaded. I am going to get him the squishy hoof boot pads and see if that helps him