Harry Hall Insurance - Not Impressed

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Not sure whether I am being a bit OTT because it's a sensitive subject to me right now, but just a warning to Harry Hall Vet Fees insurance takers, you cannot cancel before the years' premiums have been paid in full, and should you want to cancel early they will then debit the full remaining amount from your card.

I had my boy PTS a week or so ago, he was fully insured with Insurance Emporium who I am in the process of making a claim with, I just had the Harry Hall insurance to cover me for a month whilst his old policy lapsed and he wasn't doing much (took it out in January 2021). I was under the impression it was a 3 month rolling contact, and unfortunately didn't read the vast number of small text T&C's properly.

I am not quibbling the £40 for annual 'membership' (public liability) as that insures the rider and I am still here, fair enough. But I am unhappy they want me to pay another 2 quarters of the vets fees premium, despite the fact I am not claiming for my vets bills from them and the insured animal is now deceased, so there is zero risk of any future liability.

I have half a mind to close the (largely unused) bank account down that they intend to take it from just because I am annoyed, they wouldn't chase the money through small claims as it isn't really enough. But I hate knowing I owe money, and think it would just stress me out. I have asked to raise a complaint however.

More fool me I suppose.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
I had my old boy insured through them as he had lots of exclusions and thought this was a good deal.

However I found the same that I couldnt cancel, I tried to swap it onto my new horse which they said ok to. But they never actually swapped the name over!

I have now cancelled as at the end of my policy but cant say I was impressed with their customer service!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think that is the same with all insurance providers - it is an annual premium for an annual policy (the same for your car or your house).

They are helpful and let you pay in instalments to help your finances - the fact you wish to cancel is unrelated to their financing option of allowing instalments.

You aren't buying one months insurance with one months payment - it is an annual policy.

Usually it's cheaper to pay in one lump sum as they aren't charging you interest for the benefit of paying monthly (again the same for car or house insurance)

Leandy

Visit site
I think that is the same with all insurance providers - it is an annual premium for an annual policy (the same for your car or your house).

They are helpful and let you pay in instalments to help your finances - the fact you wish to cancel is unrelated to their financing option of allowing instalments.

You aren't buying one months insurance with one months payment - it is an annual policy.

Usually it's cheaper to pay in one lump sum as they aren't charging you interest for the benefit of paying monthly (again the same for car or house insurance)

I agree, although some policies do let you cancel and refund pro rata, although they may take a cancellation fee also. It is a point you always need to check with all insurance (and mortgages, and loans etc re ability to repay earlier). The point is that often the underwriter has passed on the risk to another and may well have locked themselves in annually on terms to match yours. So it isn't just a case of them agreeing to cancel and refund you, there is a whole chain of risk transfer down the line.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have always had insurance that would be cancelled (with reasonable cause, and a fee) and pro-rated for my cars, boat, cats and horses unless a claim was made - but if this is a common clause then fair enough. I think perhaps it's just a sensitive subject for me at the moment, and it unfortunate that I was already having a terrible day!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When I've paid monthly it's been a separate arrangement with a finance company so may be out of their control.

However to give an example of sympathetic treatment, I lost my horse a couple of months after starting the Westgate subscription package. I had had a worm count and tapeworm test which worked out more than the monthly payments. So I emailed fully expecting to have to pay some sort of cancellation or a couple of months, but they just cancelled the next month's payment and left it there.

dixie

Visit site

that’s not strictly true. If you have insured a horse for 12m and sell it within say 6m, then you’ll get a 6m refund
I insured a new horse with NFU and paid monthly. After 2m she was written off as LOU and they paid her value and even refunded the premium I had overpaid. I only paid 2m premiums on that horse.

tiga71

Visit site
I had my show jumpers insured with NFU (one) and the other with Pet plan. When we sold them I received a refund pro rata for both. I paid the annual cost up front.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Slightly different situation but I tried to cancel insurance a while back. Insurer had added some exclusions that I felt were excessive - entire leg excluded because of an overreach cut about 4 years previously etc. This was after just over a month as soon as I saw the exclusions. I would have got some refund but not much, about a quarter of what I'd paid.

I ended up staying with them and working with my vet and getting all the unreasonable exclusions lifted and didn't renew.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
As far as I'm aware Harry Hall insurance is provided by SEIB, the same as BHS so you would be at their mercy rather than HH. I'm sorry for your loss x