Harry Meade

ecb89

Visit site
I think he uses traditional irons, he's a traditional sort of bloke and never seen him use anything else.
Yes, looking at his Instagram pics he is mainly using traditional stirrups and in some pictures Sprenger looking ones.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Oh gosh, that's terrible. He comes across as such a lovely and interesting man on his commentary and I've always enjoyed watching him ride cross country.

He has never had the luck he deserved but has overcome so much in the past. I wish a full and speedy recovery.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
That sounds nasty. I hope he recovers soon.
I came off at speed once and got my foot stuck in the stirrup. Fortunately, my horse stopped really quickly and stood like a rock. It's incredibly difficult to free your foot when you're lying on the ground with no one around to help.

ecb89

Visit site
I can’t upload the file, however on looking at his Instagram again, it looks like he was wearing sprengers at the event

teapot

Visit site
I can’t upload the file, however on looking at his Instagram again, it looks like he was wearing sprengers at the event

On one of his horses yes, he had five there. Something else to consider - stirrup bars on saddles have changed dramatically over the years too.

Another Charles Owen hat doing its job!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the update. Harry doesn't deserve all this bad luck, he is one of the nicest blokes in horses. All best vibes for a full recovery.

Hadn’t realised that the horse had needed an op after the fall, so am glad to hear that Merrylegs seems to be doing well.
That sounds terrible. Whatever stirrups he was using, I'd like to avoid those.
The pic of Harry and Merrylegs apparently to start the XC shows him in what look like Sprengers. Harry doesn’t seem the type to have used a rip off copy. I have Sprengers...:oops:

6E0561B0-7CAA-4C70-B94A-6225B2F89201.jpeg

Last edited:

Lammy

Visit site
The pic of Harry and Merrylegs apparently to start the XC shows him in what look like Sprengers. Harry doesn’t seem the type to have used a rip off copy. I have Sprengers...

I know, I use Sprengers too...now researching some affordable safety stirrups to replace them ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Poor Harry! Wishing him the best in his recovery.

I know they're not always popular but I always use swan neck stirrups and I'm yet (touch wood) to have ever been caught in them.

Bent irons?
I've used them for years, particularly when hunting.

However, in spring last year when taking B Fuzzy xc for the first time, she over jumped, we landed intact but my right foot had shifted forwards on landing and was completely jammed.
I thank the stars that B stopped when I asked her to and I had to lift my knee to lean over and yank my stirrup off my foot and it wasnt easy!
Never had it happen before, yes it was plenty wide enough too (as still space when using grassmeres at home). They are now consigned to the pile of stuff to move on.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Bent irons?
I've used them for years, particularly when hunting.

However, in spring last year when taking B Fuzzy xc for the first time, she over jumped, we landed intact but my right foot had shifted forwards on landing and was completely jammed.
I thank the stars that B stopped when I asked her to and I had to lift my knee to lean over and yank my stirrup off my foot and it wasnt easy!
Never had it happen before, yes it was plenty wide enough too (as still space when using grassmeres at home). They are now consigned to the pile of stuff to move on.
To be honest if your foot jams really far forward in the stirrup they're all going to get stuck unless you have ones that detach at the top or the leather comes off.

The only ones that really stop it are the cages or the detachable ones but they have their issues too.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To be honest if your foot jams really far forward in the stirrup they're all going to get stuck unless you have ones that detach at the top or the leather comes off.

The only ones that really stop it are the cages or the detachable ones but they have their issues too.
It is the only time it's happened in my life, I'm not taking any chances going forward.
I've got a fair bit of mileage over 5 decades on a goodly amount of animals and very rare has a foot gone home in a stirrup even in some extenuating circumstances. Something like this will never get a 2nd chance, even if it was a fluke!

palo1

Visit site
Poor Harry and Merrywell T :( It is a very sobering accident in relation to stirrups too. I thought that Sprengers were the bees knees tbh. I have been considering getting rid of my cages and finding a sleeker option but this is really making me think again. What an awful set of injuries for the poor man. :(

DirectorFury

Visit site
Iirc another poster on here had an issue with the Sprenger-style flexi stirrups where if they're pushed forward they flex into a position where your foot goes straight through and then when they return to normal you can't remove your foot without flexing them all the way forward again. I've described that really badly, I'll dig out my old pair and do a video of what I mean tonight!

Short of using cages or Barnes buckles, I think the latter are allowed BE but the former aren't, this is a risk with any pair of stirrups if things go wrong in exactly the 'right' way :(.

Last edited: