Has anyone bought a house with land and then relationship with partner not worked out?

Visit site
The house doesn't lend itself to being split in half and I did try a livery once but it doesn't have enough land for another horse to live out, if I had a 3rd horse here id have to go back to using the stables and changing their routine which I'd rather not do here. Plus I'd rather start afresh than stay here with memories of my relationship.

My parents are divorced and not in a position to help me financially unless perhaps one sold their own home to move in here, but the house cannot be split and I don't wish to live with my (love her) mum and her partner when I'm in my mid 30s.

I've made the land work for us here now over the years but I'd gladly start afresh with a new piece of land. But that's in short supply around here so I will probably never have another smallholding nor my own land again. (That's how it feels) I really can't bare the thought of parting with my horses, but sometimes think maybe I'd have to re-home them so they can have the retirement I can't offer them, since moving across the country myself is not something I can see happening :(

Visit site
Sorry to read about your partnership coming to an end. After nine years you ought to have built up quite a bit of equity in your property. Can you use some of it this to buy land, get registered with local land agents and see what comes for sale rather than rent?

I have thought that perhaps I would use my equity to buy a field and then the remainder (if anything) to put down on a small house nearby. Or rent a house, but house rentals have really jumped up in price lately to more than an average mortgage. It's all just very daunting, wondering how I'm going to get from where I am now to where I want to be. Life isn't dreadful currently so I've not got the massive push to make the leap. But I have been unhappy for a long time and can't face the thought of spending the rest of my life with my partner.

Melandmary

Visit site
Not mortgaged but extortionately rented a farm house, with 5 acres of grazing and 5 stables. When the relationship ended I couldn't afford the rent by myself and wasn't allowed to sublet to lodgers. This was in the North East and my family was in Nottinghamshire so I decided to move back home and gave notice to my liveries. Ultimately the big decision is where you want to live. I don't know how far your family is but if it is a different area completely can't ask you ask on their local fb pages? There will be so many things going on in your head but I think once you know your horse situation is sorted the rest will be easier. I closed a business and packed up a whole house by myself in 3 months and relocated and found a new job. Perhaps if you could tell us which areas you are considering someone on here will know of either some land or 24/7 livery

Horse2018

Visit site
Nope my parents are separated. Who payed for the horses because sometimes ex can be nasty and try to claim the horses are there so they can sell it . Make sure the horses are in your name . Try and find retirement livery if you can’t find anywhere and your horses are sound I would loan your horses to someone until you get yourself sorted.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Don't underestimate the power of leaving notes on gates. Years ago I thought I would have to give up the pony (yes, only one back then!). I left notes on the gate of every rough, sorry looking, unloved piece of land in the area, hoping to get him out of livery to something cheaper. I was offered the use of a block of water meadow in return for stewardship, and some years later I was able to buy it.

Kat

Visit site
Could you afford to take over the mortgage if you got a lodger and a livery (or two)?

It would be worth getting some mortgage advice to see what can be done to make it affordable in terms of increasing the term or going interest only for a few years.

You could consider whether you could rent the house out and continue using the land. Hopefully the rent would pay the mortgage. You could maybe consider a caravan on the land to live in until you can afford the mortgage on your own.

mini_b

Visit site
Not mortgaged but extortionately rented a farm house, with 5 acres of grazing and 5 stables. When the relationship ended I couldn't afford the rent by myself and wasn't allowed to sublet to lodgers. This was in the North East and my family was in Nottinghamshire so I decided to move back home and gave notice to my liveries. Ultimately the big decision is where you want to live. I don't know how far your family is but if it is a different area completely can't ask you ask on their local fb pages? There will be so many things going on in your head but I think once you know your horse situation is sorted the rest will be easier. I closed a business and packed up a whole house by myself in 3 months and relocated and found a new job. Perhaps if you could tell us which areas you are considering someone on here will know of either some land or 24/7 livery

did you manage to keep your horses?

Melandmary

Visit site
Yes, I only had 1 and the rest were liveries. I moved to a livery yard. I have since met someone else who had land at home so she is now here along with 2 companions. Funny how life turns out.

Backtoblack

Visit site
are the horses yoursw or do they belong to you both. ? do you work or does yourOH pay for everything? theyre was an article in H&H a couple of years ago where a couple divorced but the husband was made to pay for the upkeep of his ex wives horses as this is what he had always done.

Visit site
are the horses yoursw or do they belong to you both. ? do you work or does yourOH pay for everything? theyre was an article in H&H a couple of years ago where a couple divorced but the husband was made to pay for the upkeep of his ex wives horses as this is what he had always done.
Not married, my horses, he's not slightest bit interested in them. I pay for everything horsey including fencing land maintenance etc, split household bills evenly