Has anyone buried their horse at home.

debsflo

Visit site
Sorry for the gloomy post but im just wondering about the practicalities,legalities of this. I have a 22 year old and would like her buried at home having previous horses removed. I have a large garden which adjoins my field and local farmer has a digger. Access to my field is difficult if she died at home and previous horses had to be removed by tractor which was awful. Does anyone have experience of this. We have dogs,cats chickens and many small rodents already buried but realise a horse is a lot bigger.

Cahill

Visit site
there was a vid of this on your tube which was carried out with respect. I cannot find it now.

I expect if you enquired to the proper authorities they would try to dissuade you, but who would be to know ?

buddylove

Visit site
Many years ago I lost my first horse to a strangulating colic, he was PTS at home in his paddock. Devastated, I went to bed and my dad promptly rolled into action with a digger, by the time I woke up he was buried in his paddock and it was done and dusted. I don't think anyone needs to know as long as you don't have nosey neighbours who will cause trouble. It was always a comfort to know he was "home"
ETA when my dad passed away 3 years ago he was also scattered at home, as he wanted, I like to think both people and animals should have a happy resting place x

Last edited:

chocolategirl

Visit site
Vet advised me as long as it's isn't near a water course it's perfectly fine to bury at home. It's given me huge comfort over the years to know mine are all still here. As you can imagine over 40 years I've had to say goodbye to a few. All very elderly bar 2 that were taken far too young but that's a whole other post!!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
You can bury at home as long as it's a personal horse ie: not kept for profit, and as long as the burial place is not near a watercourse.

Char0901

Visit site
Not at my home, but my late mare is buried on my friends farm where we kept her and she was PTS. She was put to sleep close to where she was to be buried but my friends OH (farmer and owner of the farm) still had to use his tractor (she was a big 16.3 mare) I didn't watch this part but within half an hour of her having her PTS he came back in and gave me her head collar. It made it easier that it was all over so quickly, I don't think I could have bared the waiting for someone to come and take her away.

Mixedbag

Visit site
Agree with all the above. I have three now across the field and in due course others will join them. Sometimes go for a "chat" with them, don't stop loving them because they've gone. Sorry that you are having to go down this route but it is comforting having them nearby.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Many years ago I lost my first horse to a strangulating colic, he was PTS at home in his paddock. Devastated, I went to bed and my dad promptly rolled into action with a digger, by the time I woke up he was buried in his paddock and it was done and dusted. I don't think anyone needs to know as long as you don't have nosey neighbours who will cause trouble. It was always a comfort to know he was "home"

ETA when my dad passed away 3 years ago he was also scattered at home, as he wanted, I like to think both people and animals should have a happy resting place x

It is when you see a post like this you know that H&H needs a "like" button!!(sniffle sniffle)

Spring Feather

Visit site
Yes I have quite a few horses buried on my farm. I'm in a different country to you but I suspect the rules are the same; so long as you don't bury them near a water course you're usually fine but you may have to check with your local authority.

I am having two PTS this coming week and both will be buried in one of the back fields near the others.

3Beasties

Visit site
As others have said, it's fine to bury at home as long as not near to a water course.

A couple of years ago my friend had her old horse pts, he was buried in her field. Then suddenly two weeks later she found her younger gelding dead in the stable. He was buried next to his best friend. No one was informed, she just did what had to be done to get the job done.

ladyt25

Visit site
We do it. Have 6 old faithfuls now buried in our field!
I quite fancy joining them when my time comes to be honest! :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes - mine is at home and my dog is next to her. Just a practical consideration - make sure you have some extra earth as the initial grave does drop slightly after a bit. Not really an issue with smaller animals but quite apparent when a large animal has been buried.

happyclappy

Visit site
I have buried/ several horse/ponies/donkeys/large dogs on my land.You do need permission in case they can affect water courses, but a JCB soon enabled me to bury them at home with non problems.

DJ

Visit site
You mustn`t be near a water course, and you need to make sure you can get the hole deep enough/wide enough (so be aware of roots from trees and where water/sewage/gas pipes run), also the graves sink after a while when things settle so it`s handy to have some extra soil to top it up with. x

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Three of mine are buried at home and it is fine as others have said as long as it is not near a water course. All my others will be buried here to when their time comes. I have a 'grave stone' where they are and there is room for the five I have to all be buried in the same area. When the farmer next door died his wife thought he would want to stay in his beloved garden so she had planning permission from the local council and he is buried in his garden too. In fact the same farmer and JCB was used for my horses and my neighbour's graves.

Orangehorse

Visit site
OMG! You are not supposed to bury farm fallen stock, but if a horse is a "pet" it is OK. I gulped to see 7 buried, but I know it happens. One of those things where it is best to bury the evidence as quickly as possible.

How far from a watercourse is it supposed to be?

_HP_

Visit site
https://www.gov.uk/fallen-stock

According to this....

According to the 2005 ABPR, horses are generally categorised as farm animals and their carcasses must be promptly disposed of at an approved site, in the same way as any other fallen stock.

However you can ask your local Trading Standards officers, who are responsible for enforcing the ABPR, to treat your horse as a pet. If they agree, you may bury your horse, following your local Trading Standards guidelines. These are likely to require horse burial sites to:

be at least 250 metres away from any well borehole or spring that supplies water
be at least 30 metres from any other spring or watercourse, and at least 10 metres from a field drain
have at least 1 metre of subsoil below the bottom of the burial pit, allowing a hole deep enough for at least 1 metre of soil to cover the carcass
be free of water at the bottom of the hole, when first dug