Has anyone clipped yet?

PoniesRock

Visit site
As per title. Was just wondering if anyone has braved first clip yet?
My little Connie is getting pretty fluffy and I'm wishing I had rugged her a bit more the last couple weeks while the weathers been so patchy! I just know the sooner I start clipping the more I'm going to have to do it and I hate clipping with a passion!!

Surbie

Visit site
He's getting distinctly fluffy round the edges, but hates the clippers. Am leaving it as long as possible.

Amye

Visit site
No but I'm thinking of it! I've left it the past because I don't have my own clippers so have had to borrow but J is shedding like crazy and becoming fluffier and the past few days has been getting quite sweaty with work...

emfen1305

Visit site
I was just thinking about this last night, the foam coming off Toby after half an hour of schooling was ridiculous - what do you all rug with once clipped? I am torn between a no fill or a fly rug with the waterproof top bit.. this will be the earliest i've clipped him as don't usually do it September!

Jo1987

Visit site
I'd like to but the flies are driving him crazy at it is (anyone else noticed they've gone a bit 'dozy' and aren't flying off when horse twitches??), I usually try to wait until October, but often end up giving him a tiny bib clip mid September 😂

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
None of the horses here are getting at all fluffy, although a couple of them have started to shead their short summer coats so I doubt it will be long before I have to think about it. My mare has never been clipped before as not been in work until this year.

First Flame

Visit site
not yet but think I will be at the weekend! Mine gets really itchy with shedding her coat so clipping helps with that too but just have to be prepared to re-clip every 3 weeks from now till Nov, the joys!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Not yet but am thinking about it. The elephant is getting fluffy and very itchy so it needs to come off before he rubs him self raw. He is currently on box rest (hopefully tomorrow will bring good news) so it's as bit of a pain but I don't like seeing him this uncomfortable

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
(anyone else noticed they've gone a bit 'dozy' and aren't flying off when horse twitches??)

I noticed that, was wondering what it was about.

I'm dreading clipping. so don't want to do it. Got away with not clipping last year due to not enough work being done so gonna play it by ear this year and see. Normally I whip it all off, but I might just do a trace this year.

BBP

Visit site
Good lord no! You lot are making me sad about winter, its bad enough that the nights are drawing in so fast. The little bonkers black pony does not believe in getting fluffy, or in sweating. That said, the connemara x's are starting to look a little fluffy, which makes it hard for me to stay in denial for much longer. (In fact BBP's mid winter fur is about the same as the connies now!)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Mine has cushings and took ages to shed his winter coat but unfortunately has to be sedated heavily to clip so didn't or id have clipped him out.

He is booked in for the dentist end of October and needs sedation for that so I'll clip him then

I haven't clipped the last couple of years to avoid the sedation costs but now have a hacking buddy so will probably still be hacking at weekends on quite long hacks. I actually really like clipping and missed doing it as he usually looks so smart when done 😂 just dont miss the extracting horse hair from your mouth and nose for about 2 days after!

Last edited: