Has anyone else aged since owning horses?

Daisy2

Visit site
Love them to bits and enjoy them immensly but together with work, a family and the trials and tribulations of family life I think the constant low level worry owning two good doers, muzzles, strip graze, lameness, lami, rug, not to rug little food not enough food, tying up, runny eye, sloppy poo, stubborn bots, poached field, ragwort alert, la di da has actually made me look rather glum and drained when I am not smiling, yes I have lost my youthfulness. I do scrub up ok though.. thankfully, Quite honestly my mother looks younger than me... now of to exvoliate and hope that a facepack will help..

mrussell

Visit site
absolutely !!!!!!!!

Add that to getting home to bring in because its too hot/too cold/too bright/too dark... the visit from the local hunt/shoot/children, fertilising the paddocks, emptying the muck cart, levelling the menage, the odd unexplained lame step, frozen pipes, flies and other vermin....

its no wonder I look like I'm 90 !

Farma

Visit site
I do notice that the ladies that work full time at yards look alot older than they are - obviously being out in all the elements takes its toll after a while!

kylie88

Visit site
oh god!! and I thought being out in the great outdoors would keep me youthfull!

I will make sure the OH doesn't hear about this! lol

riding_high

Visit site
i've definately aged! this last 2yrs have been the worst as well what with sick/injured horses and family life!
my hands are the equivalent of a 90yr olds hands, my hair is grey and i'm now too nervous to dye it anymore (after what happened to starzaan!)!

Firewell

Visit site
I do worry that being out in the elements have made my face more wrinkly then friends my age but then again I don't smoke and that can age peoples faces so it's hard to say.
My hands definitely are horrible!! Dry and ancient looking. I never let anyone look at my hands.
Figure wise horses definitely keeps you younger! Approaching 30 I've noticed some of my friends figures are starting to get a little baggy since we were 18, still gorgeous of course but if I'm hyper critical myself and my horsey friends are firmer lol.

My mum who is 50 and has ridden all her life has a tremendous figure, better then a lot of women half her age so riding and staying fit has definitely helped her.

So yes horses and being outside ages faces but keeps bodies looking younger. That's what I think :)

PIP17

Visit site
Totally, I always worry even if only in a low key way. This week has been horrendous because I cant get to him, so constant worrying - not eating much and a bit snappy with long suffering hubby. :rolleyes:

paisley

Visit site
Well, the years spent squinting into the sun, or scowling from the rain have given me serious 'laughter lines'. I sure as hell don't remember finding anything that hilarious!

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
Don't know about aged but I'm definitely falling apart. In the past 12 months I've had a fractured wrist,fractured back and a hysterectomy. Am beginning to feel I'll never be back to normal!! But I love my horse, even though she is a bucking bronco with ASBO stamped right through her!

Daisy2

Visit site
I do worry that being out in the elements have made my face more wrinkly then friends my age but then again I don't smoke and that can age peoples faces so it's hard to say.
My hands definitely are horrible!! Dry and ancient looking. I never let anyone look at my hands.
Figure wise horses definitely keeps you younger! Approaching 30 I've noticed some of my friends figures are starting to get a little baggy since we were 18, still gorgeous of course but if I'm hyper critical myself and my horsey friends are firmer lol.

My mum who is 50 and has ridden all her life has a tremendous figure, better then a lot of women half her age so riding and staying fit has definitely helped her.

So yes horses and being outside ages faces but keeps bodies looking younger. That's what I think :)

Yeah thats true the old body bares up looks good but noticed it sounds rather creaky at times, perhaps I should start taking some horsey supps. Well I did exfoliate and put a face pack on cant say it made much of a difference but sure felt good, pink lippy is my saviour.

Paisley.. Your comment made me laugh so thanks to you I have more lines now:D

monikirk

Visit site
I was slightly alarmed the other day - I'm a teacher and a rather special child let out a shriek and exclaimed that she had never seen such wrinkly hands. Well I put it down to children having grannies that are only 40 and have not experienced much living in the 'elements'. I used to hope that the glycerine in saddle soap might help but all that does is remove deeply embedded gunk from my wrinkles. Come on time to get the heavy duty moisturiser out! (Thou I have just invested in a vat of pig oil so might see how that performs - just need to ignore the aroma! :D

Faro

Visit site
Of course I've aged since I've had horses - I've owned horses for at least 15 years and no, I can't pass as a 21 year old any more!

I think Mymare's got the right answer. It's having kids that ages you - not horses. I've thought about this before - If you took a wide selection of my friends of a similar age, it's obvious to me that those with children seem to have aged much more than those without, irrespective of whether or not they have horses.

And no, I don't have kids of my own and, without meaning to be conceited, but I do think I've done a bit better with the old-self preservation than most of my friends who are mothers.

That sounds really vain, doesn't it? I'm not really that bad, honest!

Last edited:

Lakelandcross

Visit site
Yes. I feel like i've aged 20 years in the 30 years i've had horses.

I'm fitter, healthier and happier than the majority of people I grew up with and the horses have a lot to do with it.

Last week I met up with 5 i hadn't seen for years and they were all overweight and miserable. Then again I don't have kids so Mymare may have hit the nail on the head.

maxapple

Visit site
Yes. I feel like i've aged 20 years in the 30 years i've had horses.

I'm fitter, healthier and happier than the majority of people I grew up with and the horses have a lot to do with it.

Last week I met up with 5 i hadn't seen for years and they were all overweight and miserable. Then again I don't have kids so Mymare may have hit the nail on the head.

Totally agree. I reckon I have more 'laughter lines' than I should too from being out in a all weathers - but I am also much smaller, fitter and healthier that lots of people I went to school with, and lots of people my age. I'm a secondary school teacher and from behind often get mistaken for one of the kids!! Maybe as we all get older we'll become ... BOBFOC's (Body off baywatch, face off crimewatch) :D

CobSunshine

Visit site
cold icy weather won't add wrinkles/age skin at all.

UV rays will, and its excess time spent in the sun which will show over the years.

9tails

Visit site
No, I feel better, my skin is clearer, I rarely get any illnesses and haven't had a cold in 3 years. My wobbly bits are firmer, my hands are always gloved so no aging there. I don't have kids so I'm convinced they're the ageing factor.

fitzaud2

Visit site
Errr, yes! If you looked at my hands you'd think I was over 100 years old!

Definitely, and also, because I have horses, I dont get to pamper myself like i should. Look way older than my years. I was bridesmaid for my friend back in august, and because of professional make up, everyone thought i looked 10 years younger. (Now i want her to move in, so I can look like that all the time). Wishful thinking!!!

Luci07

Visit site
I have the lovely permanant rosy cheeks that a lot of horsey women get. i am fixated at slathering on the thickest and cheapest face cream I can find before going up to the yard and now - actually do put on heavy sunscreens as well. But there comes a point - looking good when you are really riding/working your horses does not equate to looking equally attractive yourself. How many times have you slaved over cleaning up/plaiting/prepping a horse and when you get to the show, - what a pain to try to stay clean!! Still some people can - I came off my first ever Novice event course feeling about 20 feet high. Mare was sweating and I was walking her back to the lorry. My hair was plastered and my face a lovely shade of beetroot. Real catch me. A woman strolled past on her horse back to the lorry, got off it and handed it to her groom and then took off HER helmet and swung her hair around like a timotei advert!. Jealous? you bet!

tristar

Visit site
i try to arrange the horses the best i can , deal with all horsey ailments and potential problems immediately, attend daily to all their needs and management ajustments then think well i've done all that's humanly possible so if goes wrong i don't stress, and someone said recently, who knows my age, but you look so young!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I expect so, it's 36 yrs since we got the first one.
I'm pretty certain my blood-pressure is higher than it was then.
I certainly identify with the 'wizened hands' brigade. I usually manage to remember moisturiser for my face twice a day but I NEVER remember to apply handcream, until my hands are so dry and rough they are almost beyond repair.