has anyone ever sold a horse because they couldn't get a saddle to fit ....

Polos Mum

Visit site
I appreciate that sounds mad - but I'm close to having to sell a perfectly lovely horse because of saddle fit.

12 months, £1k in fitting fees (only £50-60 a time but it's really added up! with different girths, riser pads etc.) and really horrible back pain (that resulted in me stopping riding altogether for 2 months) and I'm no further forward

Lovely horse was backed last year, is weak and gangly - my qualified vet recommended physio said to get him out hacking, clock up the miles slowly to build up his strength and fill him out

But despite trying more than 20 saddles now - 90% of them rub badly (sliding forward as he's bum high) and the odd one that doesn't is so painful to sit on (all down my shoulder) maximum time I can do is 15 min before it's too painful and I have to stop. I then have to not ride for at least 2 days until the pain eases (and it's interrupting my sleep if I roll on that shoulder the night after having done 15 mins in walk!)

I'm riding my other horse (in his usual saddle) for 1.5 hours, jumping clinics etc. So I'm pretty sure it's not me.

I've tried treeless - even more wobbly and unstable for a youngster.

I've had 2 other fitters not bother to turn up.

Would i be mad to buy made to measure for a weak wonky youngster and then chuck it away in 6 months when he's in work and hopefully a totally different shape. And how would that work if it was made to measure and still rubbed / was too painful to sit on !

Thanks to anyone who's made it this far through my rant.

LegOn

Visit site
I think saddle fit is important for youngsters nearly more than 'finished' growing horses because their bones arent even finished growing together so a badly fitted saddle would cause much more expensive and serious problems in the long term.

I think if I was in this situation I would want to work with a brand that suited myself and the horse who would adjust, trade in etc as the horse grew! I know these are usually the more high end brands like Antares etc but you could end up spending more in the long term or selling the horse if you cant find another work around!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
What brand of treeless have you tried?

I started using Solution saddles about 17 years ago and I've put them on every make, shape and age of horse over the years, backed loads of horses and ponies in them, and have never had one they didn't suit/couldn't be fitted to. Although I would say I prefer the original models and not the Smart models.

Katieg123

Visit site
I would either turn him out to finish growing and filling out or invest in sending him to someone else to ride for a bit to build the right muscles.

On another hand have you tried the acavello seat savers? theyre shock absorbing and really help my back to ride in - even in saddles that dont fit me quite right!

maya2008

Visit site
How old is he? First thing I would do is ditch the fitter. Find one that can actually help you.

Bum high babies… older saddle company saddles with serge panels worked for me (and a string girth) but the hassle there is that good fitters for that make are few and far between. Current fitter really likes the Thorowgood saddles and can recommend which one fits which shape of horse. She’s good and accurate and having something the correct basic shape with a changeable gullet is really helpful. They’re inexpensive for baby years then you can get something really nice one the horse is 8 and settled in job and build.

Treeless…

Torsion with a Pro Choice girth is extremely stable - have used from TB to roly poly NF pony. I just pop the correct width front block in from the Barefoot site if the Torsion one isn’t correct. Currently using that on downhill NF. She also has an old saddle company saddle that belonged to her downhill built predecessor (both of whom levelled up mostly as adults with correct schooling). I tend to use the Torsion saddles while they are young and for hacking, then have something else for schooling. Our young ponies are in Thorowgood saddles and are very happy. One is only 4 and quite downhill with small shoulders, but the saddle is staying put so no complaints!

Highmileagecob

Visit site
No, but the horse we bought was a hard-to-fit short backed cob, and after many saddle changes we eventually settled on an original Barefoot saddle, from before the company was sold. If you get the saddle pads right, then the saddle shouldn't move, but they are not the best for defined withers. Have you got a saddle fitter that you have a good working relationship with, who would be willing to work with you and keep a rolling stock of exchanges to hand? Not an ideal solution, but given how youngsters change shape it may be the only way forward.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Where are you based?

I had 2 fitters tell me my mare would only fit a specially made saddle starting at £2,000 for a unbacked 4yo. Great!

I boxed her a hour away for a saddle fitting, she is very awkward (short back, huge shoulders) he looked and straight away found 2 main brands that fitted and several more.

Don’t give up, worse case you could have one made to fit by a reputable company (one I enquired about said it was adjustable to) but it’s difficult when you need to develop some muscle first.

There must be other treeless options for now? I’d try and find another reputable fitter, even if you need to box further away to someone recommended.

planete

Visit site
I also went down the Torsion route after the Solution Smart central channel proved to be too narrow for my broad spined pony. You need to get a good treeless pad and shim it to balance the saddle for you and the horse and make sure you have the right width pommel insert in it. I can mount from the ground if needed with this set-up. I also use a barefoot hip saver to give it a twist, a Ventech girth and a breastplate.

I only got resigned to this after having a brand new Harry Dabbs made for the pony declared redundant by two saddlers after a few weeks of use.

Abacus

Visit site
Even if you did decide to sell him, it might be hard to show him to anyone ridden, and they will have the same problem... not sure if you are serious about the selling bit or just wanted to rant 😊

He will probably grow and change a lot in the next few months of spring so it's worth bearing with it even if you can't ride. You don't say how old he is now (4? 5?) but it really won't harm him to wait longer. Would he be safe enough to ride in a bareback pad? I know nothing of these, just a thought.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think if he’s young and bum high and weak and wobbly, I’d turn him away for a bit let him finish growing? Somewhere on a bit of a hill so he can naturally muscle up, if it’s an option?

I totally agree and left him until he was 5 to start any backing, he will be 6 in April, turned out 24/7 with other youngsters in Yorkshire (definitely hills)

Reactions: tda

Polos Mum

Visit site
You could choose a saddle like a WOW or Sue Carson etc that are so extremely customisable that you can change it throughout life and different horses. My 4.5 year old is in my mares old WOW and it is changed to fit as she grows.

I thought WoW's were really heavy so avoided for a youngster on that basis (he's only 14.1 too)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Will he lead from another horse , because if he will I would do poles and posture work from the ground and lead him from another horse for six months and then start again with the saddles .
TBH sometimes you just have to suck up a lot of cost for saddles on some horses .

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
He's already had that for a year - 6 y/o now - physio thinks he needs to do something to build muscle as he's had plenty of sitting around time !

Would another year until 7 y/o make that much difference?
Ohhh my spectagoogles read that as 4 😂

so sorry … do plenty of long lining, tail pulls and get him working through his back 😬

tda

Visit site
I totally agree and left him until he was 5 to start any backing, he will be 6 in April, turned out 24/7 with other youngsters in Yorkshire (definitely hills)
I'm another who thinks if he is still so bum high at rising 6, I'd leave him a bit longer, sorry
Or just do lots of in hand le trec or similar

Marigold4

Visit site
I had a weak wobbly youngster who was very difficult to find a saddle for (different reasons to yours). I also spent a fortune on fitters and saddles. Tried Solution saddles but these caused horse back pain. I was at the point of giving up when someone on here suggested aTorsion. Horse became rideable and happy in his work. 18 months later (now 6 rising 7) he is much stronger and his back has developed to be a much better shape for a treed saddle. I'm hopeful we may find one to fit him now. Torsions aren't v pretty but they were a godsend for my horse.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I had a weak wobbly youngster who was very difficult to find a saddle for (different reasons to yours). I also spent a fortune on fitters and saddles. Tried Solution saddles but these caused horse back pain. I was at the point of giving up when someone on here suggested aTorsion. Horse became rideable and happy in his work. 18 months later (now 6 rising 7) he is much stronger and his back has developed to be a much better shape for a treed saddle. I'm hopeful we may find one to fit him now. Torsions aren't v pretty but they were a godsend for my horse.

Was that a Smart saddle?

Polos Mum

Visit site
Weak might not be the best description - very under muscled but physio thinks an unusual 'rear wheel drive' set up with power coming from behind (unlike my usual drag them selves around with the front end young horses). He looks a bit cut and shut with weak front and big bum

Have been doing in hand pole work and lots of riding a leading to make a start.

He also loves being out and I think needs something for his brain to do.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Will he lead from another horse , because if he will I would do poles and posture work from the ground and lead him from another horse for six months and then start again with the saddles .
TBH sometimes you just have to suck up a lot of cost for saddles on some horses .

Yep - effectively that's what we did all last year - with the odd trail and fail saddle in between.

I can do that for another year - he certainly looks more even and can stand square now - but saddle issue unimproved sadly.