has anyone every experienced a major blow up on a horse???

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
This has been an ongoing issue with my big but its gotten worse this summer.

He's a 10yr welsh d and he's a rig!!

Basically what he does is he gets all worked up over everything and anything prancing around snorting, striking out etc which is all fine as long as he settles.

But he doesn't all of a sudden he will freeze and I mean freeze, nothing I repeat nothing will get him to even turn his head and then

BOOM!!!

He blows up rearing going backwards and just generally losing it.

Today it reached a whole new level , he has never done this on the road but today we road past concord college and they were having a football match on the field which backs onto the road its a quiet lane so only the odd car or tractor is seen.

He started his usual cycle prancing down the road my friends horse was also snorting but not to the extent of my boy.

Then he just freezes for around ten seconds a car comes up behind us but luckily they keep a big distance.

Then it happened he reared up so quickly he almost flipped over because I pulled back on the reins to keep Fromm falling. He twists sharply unseating me and very luckily I land with both feet on the ground holding the dragon I call a horse

He's still going ballistic at this point so I try to lead him down the road when I eventually find a pull in I drag him in thank the car driver luckily they were horsey and congratulated me on my amazing dismount,

Then I hop back on board and carry on as if nothing happened and he's good as gold for the rest of the hack.

Now a couple of facts he's ridden 6 Days a week usually schooling 2-3
He's fed 1stubbs scoop hi-fi with carrots or apples
On limited grass - He's a fatty so is strip grazed once a day given about 2metres squared per day - The grass is about 10cm long but very green.
As I said he's a rig and a mare has moved in next door so there's the fact he paces the closet fence to her luckily she has been moved so is no longer in sight.

The first time he did this it was two years ago and not nearly as bad I just assumed it was because I had a tight contact and was throwing a tantrum but like today it was Avery light contact and I just held him with my seat.

So what do you think?? Have younknown a horse act the same???

I have zero spare cash for calming supplements so that's a no go.

I ride him as much as possible to try to channel hisnoutbursts into positive work but he just gets fitter... So what to do??

Lots of Jaffa cakes for anyone who read the whole thing :)
As I'm going t get fat sitting here with them all to myself ;)

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I had a similer problem with Merryn last year in november. Merryn is normaly a saint and good as gold so it came as a shock.
It was due to the fact that he had to much suger in his diet! It was mild and although he was on restricted grazing there was still alot of goodness in what little grass he was getting. At the time I was feeding happy hoof and carrots. I put him on Hi-fi molassis free and cut out the carrots (they contain alot of suger) and ristricted his grazing even further. I bought a calmer called Clop. It's cheap and it works it contains that root, the name escapes me but it begins with V, that is very calming and it realy helped.
What Hi-fi do you feed? Even the hi-fi light contains molassis. I'd get the molassis free and see if that helps.

I'm assuming his back, teeth, saddle ect are all ok. :)

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
I had a similer problem with Merryn last year in november. Merryn is normaly a saint and good as gold so it came as a shock.
It was due to the fact that he had to much suger in his diet! It was mild and although he was on restricted grazing there was still alot of goodness in what little grass he was getting. At the time I was feeding happy hoof and carrots. I put him on Hi-fi molassis free and cut out the carrots (they contain alot of suger) and ristricted his grazing even further. I bought a calmer called Clop. It's cheap and it works it contains that root, the name escapes me but it begins with V, that is very calming and it realy helped.
What Hi-fi do you feed? Even the hi-fi light contains molassis. I'd get the molassis free and see if that helps.

I'm assuming his back, teeth, saddle ect are all ok. :)

He's on the hi-fi original with the rest of the boys :) just bought a new bag today.. Typical.

Yep all been checked just been reading up and it might be his bridle putting too much pressure on his poll - He's had a previous injury there when he was 2 with his breeder so am going to try a sheepskin thingy on it tomorrow :)

Google clop it says its a cod liver oil supplement is that right or have I found the wrong one?? :) if its cheap I was considering camomile tea in his dinner.. :)

LauraWheeler

Visit site
The calmer is this http://www.animalmedicationdirect.co.uk/clop-liquid-calmer-for-horses-1l-pr-3955.html (Hope the link works.) it's band under FEI and jocky club rules so it must be good ;) worked for my boy anyway.
Good idea re sheepskin thingy. Esp if he's had an old injury. It could be that simple.

hi-fi origonal deffinatly has molassis in it :( the only ones which don't are the ones that state molasis free. Even all the ones supposidly approved for laminitics like happy hoof and healthy hoves contain molassis :(

LynH

Visit site
I have a TB exracer and she has always done the freezing then exploding thing. She does it if she is stopped too many times on a hack. Eventually she just freezes but her set ok concrete feeling can last minutes. She did it once in a showing line up and the other next to me said her eyes looked like she had gone into a trance. I can feel her heart rate increase and then she begins to shake. If I get off her before the explosion she will walk on like nothing happened. She's never just walked out of a freeze under saddle and it always ends in a an explosion. Usually she just goes up in the air off all 4 feet then fly bucks for ages. She was worse with other people and has done it on the road, in the park, fields etc but never in the school.
She has improved over the years and as it was less frequent with me I assume trust in her rider does help. I learnt to get off the second she started it and walk her on and then just get back on. With time they did lessen but I also made sure I didn't stop and start her too often.

Sorry I cannot offer any advice but wanted to let you know I have experienced this a lot and over a good number of years. I found her trigger and made sure I avoided stopping her several in a row.

BlackRider

Visit site
My guy (who was cut late) did this a few times at shows when he was younger, with him it was a sheer panic, and all the supplements in the world won't help when they're that would up.

He got better over time and taking it very slowly.

it might be worth adding a magnesium based supplement as that can sometimes help (and they usually quite cheap).

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
There's not a lot of true rigs about these days because if they have a retained testicle the vets won't castrate them unless it's done where they can also remove the retained one. (unless there's some dodgy people around castrating horses)

SarahWeston

Visit site
If he has a retained testicle it is really important to have it removed. They can cause real problems. This is a quote from our local vets: The Barn. Hopefully you can link to the photo of it. It could be causing your horse to be very uncomfortable in the first place and be affecting his hormone levels.

The retained testicle was in fact a teratoma which is a tumour containing abnormal tissues. The tumour weighed 1.6kg, was 20cm long and contained hair, bits of bone, cartilage and fibrous tissue! The pony recovered well and will be feeling much better and a bit lighter! This just goes to show how important it is not to ignore cryptorchid colts and to have surgery in order to locate the retained testicle.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/563506_641066902592911_727174620_n.jpg

justabob

Visit site
A rig can be very unpredictable, in fact they can be dangerous. It is not an easy operation to find the retained testicle as it could be anywhere and might require an abdominal operation. It could also be a bit of retained cord that causes rig behaviour.

ridefast

Visit site
Definitely cut the carrots and apples out. If he has been confirmed a rig you could maybe try Agnus castus to help with his hormones

This, carrots and apples are very high in sugar. Have you done a grazing analysis? Be worth it to see what he is lacking/getting too much of. Forage Plus does one. Grazing analysis is different to a soil analysis. Also if he always freezes before he explodes is that enough warning for you to get off?

RoyalGreyGlory

Visit site
Yes, my old share used to be a nightmare out at shows, at one particular show (Pony club team showjumping) it was extremely busy and this blew his head (bare in mind he was 5 at the time) in the warm up he did a spectacular capriole and proceeded to do rodeo style broncs down the ring ... we got to the fence and he continued to bronc on the spot! Luckily I stuck on (goodness knows how) but I lost my reins and stirrups in the process ... :lol:

He always bronked and reared at shows in the first 10 mins but settled. He eventually grew out of this, but a mixture of being cut late and being a strong willed welshie added to this behaviour.

However in your case I think you need to cut out unnecessary sugars from his diet (Carrots and apples) and consider giving him a magnesium based supplement as horses can act up when their diet lacks magnesium. Hi-Fi light has molasses in, so I'd recommend either Hi-Fi molasses free (dengie do this) or Dengies Healthy Hooves Molasses free, if you have to feed him but I don't think he needs anything :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Has your horse been confirmed a rig? Even if he is, it isn't necessarily connected to his explosive behaviours - which are not that uncommon with "hot" horses. Feeding calmers is generally a waste of time; learning to read him and cope with these sort of reactions before they start is not. I'm confused 'though; you say at first that you nearly pulled him over with the reins, then say you didn't have any contact - which?

amandap

Visit site
This has been an ongoing issue with my big but its gotten worse this summer.

He's a 10yr welsh d and he's a rig!!

Basically what he does is he gets all worked up over everything and anything prancing around snorting, striking out etc which is all fine as long as he settles.

But he doesn't all of a sudden he will freeze and I mean freeze, nothing I repeat nothing will get him to even turn his head and then

BOOM!!!

He blows up rearing going backwards and just generally losing it.
It sounds like something isn't right for him and this is an escalation of already established behaviour to me.

I don't think this will be a one wonder fix. Diet and management are obvious starting points. As already said, low sugar, balanced (as far as possible) minerals (especially adding pure salt to his feed and some gut support)and I would also review his general management to check it suits him. So a full review is the tack I would take.

I also think a step back in exposing him to stressful situations till you have a plan is an idea to consider, to help him and keep you safer.

amandap

Visit site
My gelding used to freeze and looking back, I think it was fear or him trying to resist exploding. I found out very soon after I got him he couldn't resist the girth being tightened and he would explode into broncing. I had ignored/not recognised (that he was trying) the severe tension of holding himself rigid meant he was really struggling!

Goldenstar

Visit site
D's can be a real pain .
Go onto hi fi molasses free when you buy the next bag and cut out the carrots and apples but unless you give him a lot it's unlikely to be the cause .
I have a D crossed Clydesdale he's very welsh ( I mean he's a pain in the bum at times ) he's definatly calmer when you give him magnesium oxide which is very cheap to buy ( progressive earth on eBay is where I get mine just search magnesium oxide )
You also should try to rule over causes little sore backs ulcers etc but it does sounds like a naughty bad mannered welshy perhaps try to get someone experianced to watch the behaviour and advise , be careful .

AliceCrail

Visit site
Magnitude calmer!! I swear by it! It is £20 for 6months supply and the other people I know who use it also recommend to anyone and everyone as they have been so impressed!
Good luck, this sort of behaviour can be so disheartening :)

cbmcts

Visit site
My D is a bit like this too. When he's in a stressful situation he stops, freezes and if you tense or try and push him through it he will go up and over. Bloody terrifying.He can also go backwards at high speed bouncing off what ever is behind him. He's not having a strop or even napping really, it's more panic than anything else and he just loses his mind. He will run blind if he gets a fright and he gets away from you. All you can do is sit quietly and wait for him to relax and start listening again.

His real problem is that you never know what he will react to, something that he's seen daily for months will suddenly flip his tiny little mind and set him off so he's now retired as he became just to dangerous to take out and about and he trashed my confidence which made him even more reactive.

No supplements made any difference (possibly Valium for me would have helped) and the only thing my vet could suggest was Ritalin for him as physically he was perfect despite going over on the road more than once. A much more confident rider would have had less problems maybe than me but many experienced people refused point blank to get on him as he was such a liability!

OP,

The only things I can suggest is sitting quietly if it's safe to do so or getting off and walking him if it's on a road or busy area but please don't underestimate the damage that can be done by rearer than will go over - I speak from bitter experience

Megibo

Visit site
No advice, but I just sold a welsh D mare who would be fine for a few months and then one day (always in the school, NEVER hacking or jumping) would just freak and not stop bucking/broncing until you were off. She'd also go very fast around the school. The minute you fell off, snap she stood there asleep! My other welsh D who I've had 8 years wouldn't dream of doing that. Sure she bucks etc but never to get you off !
I'll add I had everything I could think of checked, but she was fine.

faerie666

Visit site
Then it happened he reared up so quickly he almost flipped over because I pulled back on the reins to keep Fromm falling.

In addition to all the other good advice you've already had, I suggest you start riding with a neckstrap until you get his behaviour under control.
Grab it with one hand (or even both), when he starts playing up, it will at least stop you from catching his mouth and pulling him over. I know he didn't go over this time, but next time you might not be so lucky.

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
Has your horse been confirmed a rig? Even if he is, it isn't necessarily connected to his explosive behaviours - which are not that uncommon with "hot" horses. Feeding calmers is generally a waste of time; learning to read him and cope with these sort of reactions before they start is not. I'm confused 'though; you say at first that you nearly pulled him over with the reins, then say you didn't have any contact - which?

Hi sorry no when he reared I fell backwards pulling on the reins but before when he had all four feet on the ground my contact was very light :D sorry wrote it on my tablet last night :)

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
My D is a bit like this too. When he's in a stressful situation he stops, freezes and if you tense or try and push him through it he will go up and over. Bloody terrifying.He can also go backwards at high speed bouncing off what ever is behind him. He's not having a strop or even napping really, it's more panic than anything else and he just loses his mind. He will run blind if he gets a fright and he gets away from you. All you can do is sit quietly and wait for him to relax and start listening again.

His real problem is that you never know what he will react to, something that he's seen daily for months will suddenly flip his tiny little mind and set him off so he's now retired as he became just to dangerous to take out and about and he trashed my confidence which made him even more reactive.

No supplements made any difference (possibly Valium for me would have helped) and the only thing my vet could suggest was Ritalin for him as physically he was perfect despite going over on the road more than once. A much more confident rider would have had less problems maybe than me but many experienced people refused point blank to get on him as he was such a liability!

OP,

The only things I can suggest is sitting quietly if it's safe to do so or getting off and walking him if it's on a road or busy area but please don't underestimate the damage that can be done by rearer than will go over - I speak from bitter experience

Exactly like my boy, but the thing is I can stroke his face neck - he gets upset if you shout and looses his head if you do but even when I do this he still blows!...