Has anyone had the Equibiome test done?

mezereon

Visit site
Hi, as title please. Despite a brief improvement (couple of weeks) in summer, Fergus' diarrhoea is still there and he's deteriorating again - not scouring yet but definitely really sloppy cow pats. In desperation, I'm considering getting the Equibiome test done and just wondering if anyone has had it done and could tell me whether it's worth it? Does it give you information to work with? Thanks

SEL

Visit site
I did back in 2018 and although the reports have improved since then you are basically given quite a lot of data then left to sift through it on your own. Specific advice like you need isn't really there although you can pay extra for a test that looks at pathogenic bacteria and that thought to be involved in grass sickness.

Incredibly useful for a friend who has a mare with recurring laminitis - it showed the horse had an incredibly low level of any good bacteria. Basically a major part of her immune system was stuffed. She's had 3 tests since and seen gradual improvement.

It's interesting and i think in a few years we'll understand a lot more about cause and effect, but right now still in its infancy. That's not to say don't do it - it may be that part of the puzzle you need - but don't expect clear answers or a quick fix

mezereon

Visit site
I did back in 2018 and although the reports have improved since then you are basically given quite a lot of data then left to sift through it on your own. Specific advice like you need isn't really there although you can pay extra for a test that looks at pathogenic bacteria and that thought to be involved in grass sickness.

Incredibly useful for a friend who has a mare with recurring laminitis - it showed the horse had an incredibly low level of any good bacteria. Basically a major part of her immune system was stuffed. She's had 3 tests since and seen gradual improvement.

It's interesting and i think in a few years we'll understand a lot more about cause and effect, but right now still in its infancy. That's not to say don't do it - it may be that part of the puzzle you need - but don't expect clear answers or a quick fix
. Thanks SEL, that's what I was worrying about. Seems a lot to pay just for data and no help with interpretation but I still think I might have to do it. Much appreciated.

SEL

Visit site
. Thanks SEL, that's what I was worrying about. Seems a lot to pay just for data and no help with interpretation but I still think I might have to do it. Much appreciated.
There's a FB group you can join once you've had the report which is full of "been there, tried this" owners - lots of great advice on all sorts of problems.

cauda equina

Visit site
I'm interested in Equibiome due to having an atypical laminitic (am suspicious that it might be at least partly due to hind gut flora) but I'm a bit put off as the test is expensive and the results seem rather opaque and designed to make you buy the 'cure' from the same company

mezereon

Visit site
I'm interested in Equibiome due to having an atypical laminitic (am suspicious that it might be at least partly due to hind gut flora) but I'm a bit put off as the test is expensive and the results seem rather opaque and designed to make you buy the 'cure' from the same company
Absolutely! I think we've exhausted all other avenues though and have already spent an absolute fortune, so.......I know how you feel though.

SEL

Visit site

Actually for an atypical laminitic I'd probably say its worth a shot because that's what my friend was faced with! She didn't use the Equibiome supplements and actually a lot of people don't - the FB page set up for people who have had the test isn't run by the Equibiome crowd so people discuss all kinds of supplements on there. It isn't a quick fix though, so even if you had the test then getting on top of anything its highlighted is a really long journey.

mezereon

Visit site
Just had a look at the Equibiome website and it does now say "The Equibiome report will tell you how and what to feed to increase overall health by improving the good gut bacteria" so perhaps they now give more help with the interpretation.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just had a look at the Equibiome website and it does now say "The Equibiome report will tell you how and what to feed to increase overall health by improving the good gut bacteria" so perhaps they now give more help with the interpretation.
Bumping this because I have been recommended by an equine vet to get my mare’s poo flora assessed by Equibiome. Mare has hind gut issues which are now fairly well managed, but she can still get reactive to, for instance, changes in grass growth.

Vet knows of several horses which have responded very favourably to diet tweaks suggested after the test. It’s £150, eek, but I’m going to go for it.

cauda equina

Visit site
Me too
I'm still considering it as I can't understand why a good weight rising 4yo would get laminitis on the same grass that an overweight cob ate with no problems

GinaGeo

Visit site
I never actually bit the bullet and got the test done on my allergic to life horse, who's immune system didn't seem to functioning right.

I did and still do use their Prebiotic which has done a brilliant job and is the only thing that keep him hive free. If that hadn't work the Equibiome Test would have been next on the my "to try" list...

Interested to hear how you get on...

FFAQ

Visit site
I have a couple of clients who have done it and the horses have significantly improved following the diet tweaks. The reports are lengthy, but these days they tell you what to give and then offer you the biome food so you do have the alternative of sourcing the items yourself.

SEL

Visit site
I've seen some of the more recent reports and the quality is a lot better. My friend with the ongoing laminitis issues (horse off grass) has about 3 tests now and the changes in the biome are fascinating.

Good to hear a vet is recommending it!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Faecal test kit duly ordered. Rather than get the poo sample caught up in the Christmas post and lab down time over Christmas/New Year, I’ll wait til early Jan and send it in then. Then it’ll be a bit of a wait for the results.

DNA extraction and analysis is complex please allow 8-10 weeks from the time we receive your sample to receipt of results by email.

It will be interesting to see what it shows up. Chiro vet said that many vets still have mixed views on it, but she’s seen for herself the improvement in her clients’ horses. My mare has already been scoped for foregut ulcers, which came back clear (to everyone’s surprise), and regular vet suggested putting her on Succeed supplement to support her hind gut. Since going on Succeed she has drastically improved, but can still get a bit niggly to groom, rug etc at times, like now. She’s very sensitive to feed changes.

I’m glad that Equibiome offer much better interpretation of results and follow on diet advice now, that’s a big improvement.

I will report back later whether good, bad or indifferent, but it’s going to be a few weeks yet.

PurBee

Visit site
I did a similar test for myself costing 300 quid. DNA sequencing of poop!

I got a very long list of bacteria, with % detected. The info on what many of the bacteria actually are and do is in its infancy so really i didnt glean much from it due to this.

Despite the company saying ‘no info on this bacteria’ - and i googled loads of them to find out more and drew a blank mostly - they did add a diet and supplement regime anyway....based on what i dont know - but i was already eating and taking a broad supplement regime anyway.

All i came away with was deciding to continue with a treatment plan i was already doing - and taking an assortment of beneficial bowel bacteria!

So although its a really indepth test, due to lack of info and therefore ‘science fact based’ interpretation, i felt i wasted 300 quid that i couldve spent on excellent quality probiotics and more supplements.

I didnt know the industry was now offering this for horses. I guess if youve got a really ill horse with severe digestive issues it’ll be revealing, but the treatment plan seems to be the same - give loads of different kinds of beneficial bacteria to help repopulate the gut.

As an aside....the only time my horses had really bad loose poop..(.I'm avoiding spelling dye-a-rea!) - was when he was on a forage source that had a hefty amount of NPK applied. High nitrogen/nitrates can cause a horse to produce cow pats! Once i changed forage the problem resolved.
It’s generally forage from large forage companies producing ryegrass heavy haylage, than in meadow hays you’d get from a small local farmer.
Also high magnesium intake can cause very loose stools too. In humans aswell as horses. Its worth reducing the mag. if the horse is on it as a separate supplement.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would like to know how tailored the proposed diet changes are. Are they really any different for one horse than another?

Andalucian

Visit site
I did it with one of mine 2 years ago, such technical, scientific report I was left reeling. Honestly, it may be of use, but be prepared to need a science degree to interpret it and not feel completely overwhelmed by it.....as I was.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I did it with one of mine 2 years ago, such technical, scientific report I was left reeling. Honestly, it may be of use, but be prepared to need a science degree to interpret it and not feel completely overwhelmed by it.....as I was.
The reports now apparently, and thankfully, come with dietary advice.

The results have been so beneficial that vet’s clients haven’t bothered to go on and get follow up faecal analyses done. Job done for them.

We’ve gone as far as we can by the conventional vet and management route, so IMHO it’s worth a go for this mare.

SEL

Visit site
I would like to know how tailored the proposed diet changes are. Are they really any different for one horse than another?

It's more "you're horse has too much or too little of a certain bacteria compared to average so try feeding X" rather than a bespoke plan per se.

The friend I know with the odd laminitis case (been off grass for years, still gets it) spent a year feeding various mixes of herbs & plants which have compounds in them designed to address certain deficiencies in the biome. She's tested a few times and seen huge improvement and is finally seeing improvement in the mare's feet.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Adding certain herbs to the diet post results to encourage growth of specific beneficial bacteria was mentioned - I think oregano was one herb to be recommended? Very dependent on the individual results, though.

Sounds rather wacky, doesn’t it, but the horses all improved ?‍♀️.

cauda equina

Visit site
Unfortunately yes. I had a mini who was already showing foot inflammation with a red ring at the coronet at two and unable to eat any grass at all by four. Never fat.
Oh bugger! I did ask my vet at the time if it was worth looking for an underlying cause, but she said there was no point as it wouldn't change the management

It's more "you're horse has too much or too little of a certain bacteria compared to average so try feeding X" rather than a bespoke plan per se.

The friend I know with the odd laminitis case (been off grass for years, still gets it) spent a year feeding various mixes of herbs & plants which have compounds in them designed to address certain deficiencies in the biome. She's tested a few times and seen huge improvement and is finally seeing improvement in the mare's feet.
I read something on Kentucky Equine Research's website (they make EquiShure) about how horses prone to laminitis may have too many lactate-producing bacteria in the hindgut, and too few lactate utilising ones.
That sounds perfectly reasonable to me but I'm slightly suspicious as I haven't been able to find anything linking microbiomes to laminitis anywhere other than on the websites of companies who sell stuff to fix microbiomes

mezereon

Visit site
Quick update for those wondering about the Equibiome test. I've just had Fergus' results back and it all seems to make good sense. The report explained the effect of the various imbalances in bacteria and provided specific advice on how to improve things. Most involved their own Biome foods (which I guess are tailored toward likely known issues) but not all - some general over the counter things were suggested too. Hope that helps and good luck - sadly my beautiful boy didn't make it and was put to sleep on January 8th.

SEL

Visit site
Quick update for those wondering about the Equibiome test. I've just had Fergus' results back and it all seems to make good sense. The report explained the effect of the various imbalances in bacteria and provided specific advice on how to improve things. Most involved their own Biome foods (which I guess are tailored toward likely known issues) but not all - some general over the counter things were suggested too. Hope that helps and good luck - sadly my beautiful boy didn't make it and was put to sleep on January 8th.

I am sorry. Hopefully not sounding insensitive here but the researchers have been very interested in the outcomes of those horses who has tests when they were seriously ill.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I didn't get around to sending my hind gut acidosis mare's poo sample for a while 'cos I'm a forgetful idiot, but I did eventually, and have today got her 32 page equibiome report back.

As suspected, she is way out of kilter :oops: in a number of areas. This despite careful feeding and being on Succeed supplement.

I will be implementing the dietary changes recommended, inc buying the equibiome supplements. As per my earlier post, it was my chiro vet who recommended that I ran the test.
A28D392E-E7C7-4478-90E3-37E4142C1866.jpeg

EE071FA0-0AEB-4D0D-9933-9ABCEEC6EB0C.jpeg

A758AA2C-213B-43E2-8DD9-DB1CF6964384.jpeg