Has anyone stopped riding?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I am assuming that I won't see mine until at least September. Where I am there is nothing to stop me going, but since they are not complicated and I can arrange the necessary care from on site staff, I don't feel that visiting the yard is the right thing to do in the middle of a public health crisis. Of course I miss them every day, but there are so many people suffering, and so many people on the front line risking their own health every day, so I really feel that if not seeing my horses for a while is the worst that happens to me then I will have been very fortunate indeed.

& this is what I am doing too. Yard rules no riding, so I am staying away & getting my daily photo & video from staff & friends.

exracehorse

Visit site
I’m still riding out. Sticking to familiar route. Close to yard. On my steady Eddie who gets fat if not ridden. Today, I took my mare into the school to do in hand pole work. Trod on the pole itself, was concentrating on where her feet were going instead of mine lol and went flying onto my back. I broke my leg last summer getting the washing in. Am painting my son’s bedroom up a ladder tomorrow. There is risk everywhere.

racebuddy

Visit site
I have kept mine in work , just no jumping , eventing fit and not fair just to drop him in the field as ee have full access to the yard , and allowed to ride , as long as sensible, horse also does not cope being off work ethier thrives off the work and do not want him to be stressed and end up with a vets bill due to previous ulcers / ibd issues , understand completely strain on nhs and everyone has to look at there own situation And assess risk ecr however on the flip side collegue went out in a bike today fell off and ended up in and e totally not horse relates at all xx stay safe

Spotherisk

Visit site
I have a new horse, arrived 18th March so just before everything really started closing down etc. I haven’t ridden her yet, she is footy, farrier due (I hope) on Wednesday to put fronts on. I’m aiming to lead out after this and just get to know her more. I might ride so long as OH comes with me on foot, and it will be short distances ie 20 minutes then lead, as she’s very broad and I’m very riding unfit! No school here (kept at home) she is loaned to me as she finds schooling terribly boring but she is steady to hack.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
For everybody worrying about riding and suggesting people don't do it as it puts unnecessary pressure on the nhs can I let you all know I had a horse rear and come down on my foot 2 weeks ago and break a bone. I've never had a serious injury riding but leading one out of its stable I was injured and needed NHS assistance recently. I've lost track of the number of inflammatory threads created on this forum that keep going over this issue. I think we all need to make our own choices based on our yard rules and our horses personal exercise needs (that only the owner/loaner is qualified in making a decision on, as some horses are downright dangerous if they are not exercised regularly and some have EMS, laminitis, rehab needs etc so riding is a must) without all this awful judgemental attitude that the horse world is so famous for. Ride, don't ride, I couldn't care less, but stop using the pointless argument that riding is wrong as it puts extra pressure on nhs. You are more likely to be injured handling on the ground so maybe if you think riding is dangerous put your horse on full livery and stay at home if you are so bothered.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I haven’t seen my horses in 3 weeks now, as they’re on livery and the yard is on lockdown. I’m utterly miserable and miss them like crazy. That said even if I were allowed to ride I’m not sure I would just in case.

I miss Dave too. I saw him on Monday for 15 minutes, just so I could give him a check over. It was emotional.

Winters100

Visit site
It is interesting in that there are so many interpretations of the guidance, I am not in the UK, but looking at the gov.uk website:

"You may leave your house to exercise once a day and you should combine this with leaving your house to provide care for your horse or livestock.
It is essential that you minimise the time spent outside of the home"

So does the part about it being essential that you minimise time spent outside the home mean that one should not ride unless essential for welfare issues? I would assume so. Of course it is only guidance, but I suppose with almost 1000 deaths a day in the UK there is some obligation to follow any government guidance, or am I missing a point?

maggiestar

Visit site
It is interesting in that there are so many interpretations of the guidance, I am not in the UK, but looking at the gov.uk website:

"You may leave your house to exercise once a day and you should combine this with leaving your house to provide care for your horse or livestock.

So does the part about it being essential that you minimise time spent outside the home mean that one should not ride unless essential for welfare issues? I would assume so. Of course it is only guidance, but I suppose with almost 1000 deaths a day in the UK there is some obligation to follow any government guidance, or am I missing a point?
People are interpreting 'essential' as broadly as possible. It's tedious and inconvenient to have to sacrifice any hobby or pleasure so we have people riding horses, throwing parties, sunbathing together in the park, and shopping three times a day.
Brits are too individualistic to follow any rules we don't like and this is why the virus is overtaking levels in Germany.
In France people have to fill out a form and carry it with them to prove their journey is essential. Maybe it's time to introduce that here seeing as we can't regulate our own behaviour.

Last edited:

SBJT

Visit site
Im still riding thankfully as that’s what keeps me sane. Some of the boarding barns in the area have closed totally, others gone to private only for boarders (like mine). We’re taking less chances though out and no crazy stunts. Lol.

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site

Two observations. Why is the 'once a day' not written into the legislation, apart from in Wales?

Where in that statement does it tell people not to ride their horses? Particularly if they are kept at home?

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’ve made the decision to stop riding for now. My mare has FJD, so on vets advice, I’m not supposed to give her more than 2 weeks off at any one time, as she’ll lose too much muscle tone. I did ride a couple of times, but found myself feeling very nervous, and weirdly, very guilty, like I just shouldn’t be doing it. Have owned my mare almost 11 years, have never had a fall from her, but just couldn’t shake this sense of impending doom! Being asthmatic, hospital is the absolute last place I want to be right now, but if the situation goes on much longer, I may have to have a rethink. We are lucky enough to have a Theraplate machine on the yard, so she’s having daily sessions on that, plus she is turned out 24/7 currently. It’s a tough situation, and I think the decision to continue riding is something individuals have to weigh up on various levels. God I hate this!?

Wheels

Visit site

So does the part about it being essential that you minimise time spent outside the home mean that one should not ride unless essential for welfare issues? I would assume so.

Why would you assume that?

To me it says that you should combine your one exercise a day with your visit to care for your horse. I interpret that as someone is allowed to visit their horse for mucking out or other care needs and also, whilst out, can do your exercise slot. One person might walk their dog, one might ride their bike, another might ride their horse.

I think we've been through this on the other thread several times winters so if you dont understand now then you never will. There is a specific page for animals on the gov website and if they really wanted to ban riding I am sure they would. And let's say there may well be a time that they do and if that is the case I am sure we will all abide.

RHM

Visit site
For everybody worrying about riding and suggesting people don't do it as it puts unnecessary pressure on the nhs can I let you all know I had a horse rear and come down on my foot 2 weeks ago and break a bone. I've never had a serious injury riding but leading one out of its stable I was injured and needed NHS assistance recently. I've lost track of the number of inflammatory threads created on this forum that keep going over this issue. I think we all need to make our own choices based on our yard rules and our horses personal exercise needs (that only the owner/loaner is qualified in making a decision on, as some horses are downright dangerous if they are not exercised regularly and some have EMS, laminitis, rehab needs etc so riding is a must) without all this awful judgemental attitude that the horse world is so famous for. Ride, don't ride, I couldn't care less, but stop using the pointless argument that riding is wrong as it puts extra pressure on nhs. You are more likely to be injured handling on the ground so maybe if you think riding is dangerous put your horse on full livery and stay at home if you are so bothered.

This is also the only serious injury I have ever sustained around horses too *touch wood* I know how painful that one is, hope it feels better soon!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
This has been done to death. I doubt anyone is going to change anyones mind but can I politely point out that there is nothing in the legislation or the government guidelines on social distancing or the new advice to horse owners that says anything at all about reducing risk of personal injury to avoid pressure on the NHS.

The BHS came up with that and it then filtered through to various other equestrian disciplines. The government guidelines are about reducing disease transmission so the NHS is not overwhelmed. 'Overwhelmed' in this context means exponential growth ie a doubling of cases needing critical care every few days. That is what they are trying to stop with social distancing/ lock down.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
All yards and riding centres over here are closed except officially for staff to care for the horses (including riding out for exercise for the many yards that don't have turnout).

President Macron is due to talk just after 20h00 today and is expected to announce an extension of The Confinement until the middle, or perhaps even end, of May.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I've not ridden since last September. Was getting excited as B2 was about ready to start short rides out. But we've just put it off for a while and carried on with ground work. B1 really needs his mind stimulating in order for him not to be a menace in the field. But again we are only doing ground work as he isn't ridden yet.
It's all about risk for me - I don't want to go into A & E at the best of times. But I really don't want to end up in there now.

I wouldn't judge anyone though. I have a family member who is still hacking on quiet lanes on a very safe pony. She works with in the NHS and uses this as her down time. She got a mouthful off a driver while out the other day. If they knew her job they would probably feel very silly now!

Equi

Visit site
Where I’m at at the moment is we are all taking advice from England and it just isn’t the same here in ni. I don’t think we have reached our peak yet but we are very prepared for it and we have a smaller population anyway so I may crack on. My horse is old and trouble holding muscle which is critical for his hind end. I’ve been doing lots of walking over poles and stretches etc and walking out but he can’t cope with too much lunging and I can’t walk fast enough to really make him walk out so I’m thinking about riding walking around the arena.

Dusty 123

Visit site
We have to be very careful in my yard since people are complaining to the police about us riding at check point and they said no riding after I show them my latter (I live in Ireland) Most yards in my area have been shut down by the police. My yard is saying we aren’t aloud to jump or hack it’s flatwork only . Yes I am riding my horse is very safe and I am only doing the basics.

Fragglerock

Visit site
I have twice nearly been flattened by 17.2hh of spooked horse when I was leading him in the last week - this is a sensible horse who will face any traffic/tractor/motorbike going, but he is much braver when someone is on top. Today a runner came up behind without warning and he spooked and trod on my foot. It hurt. I'm going back to riding which for me personally I think is safer.

Bs_mum

Visit site
We have all stopped here. Hunters have been turned away, groundwork has started on the youngstock, everything else is just being ticked over.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine was eventing fit before lockdown. I've been lunging her a couple of times a week but the school is deep when its dry and I don't want to knacker her legs. Shes a very good doer and is turned out on a small dry lot and its not working. Shes over the top and doesn't know what to do with herself and is slowly gaining weight. I've chucked the 2 yr old in with her hoping they will play and it will take the edge off, but her version of playing is galloping laps! I'm going to have to start working her before she gets any fatter and/or does herself and injury.

Anyone who has been to A&E recently will tell you its deathly quiet, so that's not a valid argument. I'm also getting very sick of the judgy comments and posts from people who are still drinking. Alcohol is the biggest cause of admissions to A&E. If people were genuinely interested in reducing risk the first thing they would do is stop drinking.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Anyone who has been to A&E recently will tell you its deathly quiet, so that's not a valid argument. I'm also getting very sick of the judgy comments and posts from people who are still drinking. Alcohol is the biggest cause of admissions to A&E. If people were genuinely interested in reducing risk the first thing they would do is stop drinking.

Not to mention DIY!!

I agree LW. I think it is a real shame that the BHS decided to go much further than the actual guidance and take this 'reduce injuries to reduce burden' angle. It sounds intuitively sensible but when you look at the data, horse riders are a small group of people. And accidents - while common per participant hours - are actually a very small proportion of A&E attendances even when including the accidents from high risk parts of the sport like XC riding/competing and horse racing. Covid and non Covid services are entirely separate so you aren't diverting resource away from Covid patients anyway.

The government has scientific advisors and data and modelling to make decisions on how to reduce the spread of disease. The BHS doesn't. It just 'thinks' that sounds like a good idea which to me is a bit of an over-reach of their role. They should in my view- have simply explained the implications of the guidance for riders and let people use their own judgement as to whether their own circumstances warrant going further than those guidelines.

Last edited:

Abi90

Visit site
I put an article on another post about the fact A&E are seeing a surge in DIY eye related injuries!

I have been wondering if the UK’s high death rate is somehow related to our general health as a nation. Some Scandinavian countries have not imposed any sort of lockdown and have seen far fewer cases and deaths (admittedly smaller populations).

We are a nation of fast food eaters and binge drinkers! Can’t be helping

Upthecreek

Visit site
The government hasn’t said that people must stop riding so if you are completely comfortable with your decision to continue riding and you can honestly say you are not bending or breaking any rules on essential travel, social distancing or being outside of the home for the minimum time possible then you don’t need to justify your reasons for riding or explain yourself.

The potential burden on the NHS if you should fall off or risk to you of contracting Coronavirus if you need to go to hospital and the potential consequences for your family thereafter is something everyone should think carefully about and risk assess dependent on their own circumstances.

If you can continue to ride with a clear conscience and be certain that what you are doing does not have a detrimental effect on anyone else and you are not breaking any rules, then why wouldn’t you?