Have I made a mistake?

RHM

Visit site
Think I might have ballsed up the latest yard move. I need talking down from the ledge this morning ?‍♀️

I have just moved house with a substantially larger mortgage and was previously keeping my horses at a very expensive yard with loads of facilities. I needed to move if I wanted to keep competing so looked round some cheaper yards and thought i found one suitable. Lovely big fields, fatty paddocks for the ems pony and massive stables. All sounded good! There is no ménage on site but there is a yard opposite and I was assured I would be able to rent that. I was also told that there was winter turnout everyday unless the weather was terrible. Which is rare around here and I specifically asked about it.

So here comes the issues: I moved there a week ago and it has become clear I cannot rent the ménage opposite as the YO has had a falling out with them ?‍♀️ Don’t know if this is a temporary squabble or what at this stage.
The other liveries have also informed me that there is not winter turnout and she had lied. They go out on the fenced gravel area out the back while we muck out and that’s it.

I moved here primarily because of good turnout and it being so close to home. I could pop up and hack on my lunch break it’s so close!

The horses are surprisingly really settled already and I am getting a box (if the thing passes it’s inspection today) so could box to my instructors indoor to ride if necessary.

What should I do?!

P.S. I have also annoyingly paid up a month in advance and bought in a shit load of hay and bedding. Kill me now.

Widgeon

Visit site
What has the YO said rather than hearsay of the other liveries? Approach the menage place yourself, build a relationship and ask them if you can deal directly with them to hire the venue.

I was going to say this too but then saw that you're also faced with no winter turnout. So although the manege issue doesn't sound insurmountable, I'd be thinking about moving due to the turnout situation. What constitutes "winter", exactly? Are they only in and on the gravel for a few weeks a year, or will it be months at a time? I'd probably try to find that out before moving, but to be honest the yard owner doesn't sound brilliant - squabbling with the neighbours and not being straight with you re turnout doesn't bode well for the future.

RHM

Visit site
Yes it might be a good idea to a approach them myself. I think the issue had been around her advertising the yard with a ménage and assuming people would be able to use it. They had a issue with someone damaging it in the past also but they have now left.

I don’t understand why people aren’t honest when you look round. This isn’t the first time this has happened re turnout and that’s why I specifically ask about it in some detail ?‍♀️

RHM

Visit site
I was going to say this too but then saw that you're also faced with no winter turnout. So although the manege issue doesn't sound insurmountable, I'd be thinking about moving due to the turnout situation. What constitutes "winter", exactly? Are they only in and on the gravel for a few weeks a year, or will it be months at a time? I'd probably try to find that out before moving, but to be honest the yard owner doesn't sound brilliant - squabbling with the neighbours and not being straight with you re turnout doesn't bode well for the future.

Unfortunately it is months at a time. Never had these issues so early on in a move before! Normally it takes me much longer to realise they haven’t been entirely truthful!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes it might be a good idea to a approach them myself. I think the issue had been around her advertising the yard with a ménage and assuming people would be able to use it. They had a issue with someone damaging it in the past also but they have now left.

I don’t understand why people aren’t honest when you look round. This isn’t the first time this has happened re turnout and that’s why I specifically ask about it in some detail ?‍♀️

You are not the first and certainly wont be the last who was misled about winter turnout. My old yard still advertises all year turnout .. they emit the bit that says the horses wont physically touch a grass paddock for months and that the turnout is a few hours (max) a day in trash pens and a horse walker!

Reactions: TPO

RHM

Visit site
You are not the first and certainly wont be the last who was misled about winter turnout. My old yard still advertises all year turnout .. they emit the bit that says the horses wont physically touch a grass paddock for months and that the turnout is a few hours (max) a day in trash pens and a horse walker!

It’s so frustrating! Some people are more than happy with that, it’s just nice to know upfront so not to waste people’s time.

I seem to be in a area which is particularly bad for “eccentric” YOs and no turnout.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Firstly take a breath - I would at least speak to the YO before you rush into anything.

Speaking directly to the YO I would ask her whether you can approach the arena owner and to clarify the details of winter turn out arrangements.

A month up front is totally normal and you will need to give a months notice on that basis.

If her answers to the 2 question you have aren't satisfactory then I would look at option 2 or 3 on the list you had before you moved there. Maybe go back to them to triple check turn out etc and then give notice.

Leandy

Visit site
Yes, speak properly to yard owner and menage owner. If, after that it appears the yard is still not suitable then what you do depends on the options are so not sure we can advise? You will need to give proper notice if you wish to leave. Whilst you could argue that you shouldn't have to as you have been substantially misled, I wouldn't be broaching that subject whilst still at the yard. You will likely not get your month in advance back anyway. If you want to leave earlier then that is up to you. Likely you will have to stay unless and until you can move somewhere better, unless you can still go back where you came from, and look again from there?

Reactions: RHM

humblepie

Visit site
That is very annoying re the turn out - a yard by us used to advertise all year turn out when the horses would be in for months when it was wet. Yard has now changed hands and they are doing winter turn out but it was most definitely not the case before so very misleading advert. If the horses appear settled at least that gives you a chance to decide what to do.

Reactions: RHM

RHM

Visit site
Firstly take a breath - I would at least speak to the YO before you rush into anything.

Speaking directly to the YO I would ask her whether you can approach the arena owner and to clarify the details of winter turn out arrangements.

A month up front is totally normal and you will need to give a months notice on that basis.

If her answers to the 2 question you have aren't satisfactory then I would look at option 2 or 3 on the list you had before you moved there. Maybe go back to them to triple check turn out etc and then give notice.

A breath is very much needed, and a wine!

Yes I should probably ask current YO before approaching arena owner myself and mention to her what the other liveries have mentioned re turnout.

Yes I don’t mind paying up front and would obviously give the appropriate notice.

LegOn

Visit site
I would take the YO's word over the other liveries - you have agreed terms with her on turnout so if it doesnt happen the way you were told, you can take her to task over it.

But only deal directly with her once it becomes an issue - I wouldnt go to her saying 'the other liveries have said there is no winter turnout' because that is a recipe for disaster and she will go on the defensive. But I would make a point of talking to her about the turnout for your horses and where they are going/on which paddocks/ which horses they are with etc and just talk through the details with her - if she shows you this 'gravel area' then you can legit say 'this is not what we agreed' and go from there.

Definitely approach the other yard directly but I would go in & play dumb - just say you are looking to hire it, you dont have to say anything about where you are from or who recommended it!

RHM

Visit site
The plot thickens. Spoke to YOs husband tonight and can’t rent ménage as they are currently in a legal dispute about right of way and a very small 4 foot area of land ?‍♀️ Also asked about turnout and they get 2 hours out a day from November on gravel. Apparently that does constitute as winter turnout and I have not been misled. Can someone please remind me why I have horses?

Boulty

Visit site
I've left a yard after a day before due to being misled on t/o... Is there anywhere else on your original list of places you were looking at that might have space? Definitely approach the yard with the arena about if they have a wait list (if they have decent winter t/o)

Would advise specifically asking any prospective new yards how many hours on average they get in winter & whether this is in a field, small paddocks with hay or a surfaced area. (& If this is individual or with company). I've rooted out some yards advertising year round t/o with winter arrangements that wouldn't suit me this way. (Oh & the issue of whether they will hay the field when grass runs out or not is a whole other issue)

HashRouge

Visit site
The plot thickens. Spoke to YOs husband tonight and can’t rent ménage as they are currently in a legal dispute about right of way and a very small 4 foot area of land ?‍♀️ Also asked about turnout and they get 2 hours out a day from November on gravel. Apparently that does constitute as winter turnout and I have not been misled. Can someone please remind me why I have horses?
Like splashgirl, I'd be straight over to the yard next door to see if they offer winter turnout and have space...

Patch55

Visit site
It is so annoying when yards aren't honest, or very clear with their winter turnout situation. I handed my notice in after 5 days of being at a yard (in April, which I know can be wet but it hadn't rained the whole time I had been there).

Horse hadn't been out the whole 5 days due to wet fields, and yet when the managers were shocked at me leaving so quickly, they insisted they have all year turnout. I asked if I could turn my boy out, they said no.

Turns out it wasn't even their prerogative, the landowners dictated when horses could and couldn't go out.

I was fuming, and still am to be honest and I warn anyone who asks about the turnout situation.

Hope it figures out for you.

RHM

Visit site
I've left a yard after a day before due to being misled on t/o... Is there anywhere else on your original list of places you were looking at that might have space? Definitely approach the yard with the arena about if they have a wait list (if they have decent winter t/o)

Would advise specifically asking any prospective new yards how many hours on average they get in winter & whether this is in a field, small paddocks with hay or a surfaced area. (& If this is individual or with company). I've rooted out some yards advertising year round t/o with winter arrangements that wouldn't suit me this way. (Oh & the issue of whether they will hay the field when grass runs out or not is a whole other issue)

Very good idea with this line of questioning! Should hopefully expose the BS a bit more.

Approached other yard this morning and they are selling up as soon as land dispute is resolved. Don’t think many people would take it on as a yard as it only has 4 stables so more likely to go to a private owner I imagine.

Thanks everyone for joining my pity party! It’s strangely comforting to know that I am not the only one getting hoodwinked by yards.