Have Myler bits had their day?

VioletStripe

Visit site
As title really.

A general musing while bit shopping on Bit Bank - I can't remember the last time I saw someone use a Myler! Nearly everyone I know has gone over to Sprenger or NS... I've never tried a Myler before, but I'm tempted. I've been hardcore NS for years now!

Have they decreased in popularity, or is it just the circles I ride with? Do people still rate them?

HelenBack

Visit site
My horse likes them best of all the different brands I've tried and there are a couple of others on my yard who use them too. Mostly those of us who use them have horses with little room in their mouths and the thin mouthpiece seems to suit them better. We're all generally in the happy hacker type mould too and I don't really see them used among those who are more into their dressage. Those people seem to be more into the NS and Sprenger type bits, I don't know why and if it's something to do with how the bits work or just what's fashionable at the moment. My horse hated all the NS bits I tried on him though so obviously I went with his preference.

I've only used the straightforward mouthpieces and haven't gotten into any of the more complicated stuff and don't really see a need for it but maybe some of that works better with other horses.

I think I did also something a while back that there were difficulties getting Myler bits imported into the UK but I can't remember the details now. Also a few companies have started making cheaper knock offs so maybe that makes a difference too.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Same, my horse loves the NS as she can do exactly as she pleases with it. The Myler gives me some semblance of control.

Haha love that, I tried so many NS bits as I had read all the hype and every one of them was a let down for mine, I've accepted they're not for my horse now lol!

VioletStripe

Visit site
My horse likes them best of all the different brands I've tried and there are a couple of others on my yard who use them too. Mostly those of us who use them have horses with little room in their mouths and the thin mouthpiece seems to suit them better. We're all generally in the happy hacker type mould too and I don't really see them used among those who are more into their dressage. Those people seem to be more into the NS and Sprenger type bits, I don't know why and if it's something to do with how the bits work or just what's fashionable at the moment. My horse hated all the NS bits I tried on him though so obviously I went with his preference.

I've only used the straightforward mouthpieces and haven't gotten into any of the more complicated stuff and don't really see a need for it but maybe some of that works better with other horses.

I think I did also something a while back that there were difficulties getting Myler bits imported into the UK but I can't remember the details now. Also a few companies have started making cheaper knock offs so maybe that makes a difference too.

That's interestingly enough what I have noticed too. At the end of the day what's important is what suits the horse best!

I wonder if it's the power of marketing? NS and Sprenger both heavily advertise and appeal to the 'high tech' and 'sporty' side of things - which makes it very fashionable. If I'm honest I've not seen much marketing from Myler, and they don't have the same sort of copy and immense detail/jargon (can you tell I work in sales and marketing...? :oops:)

I would love to try a Myler. My chap is an overgrown Connie, so small-horse sized with pony proportions - narrow head and not a huge amount of room in his mouth because of it.

Andrew657

Visit site
I hack in a Myler - but school in an unbranded lozenge snaffle. The myler gives me more control - but also with the hooks means as soon as I release pressure the bit is off his tongue - so he can relax

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'm predominately a happy hacker and went from a Myler to a NS based on an appointment with an independent bitting consultant.

Nothing to do with fashions, marketing or being high end but just what suited my horse the best.

I don't recall my Myler being that much cheaper to be honest. It was around the £90 mark whilst my NS was £130 ish from memory.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
I splashed out on a Myler for my little cob, thought it was a good fit for his mouth shape.

Turns out he much prefers the £15.99 full cheek half moon snaffle I bought for jumping, so now he goes in that for everything!

LegOn

Visit site
I think its that there is more choice than ever before!!! I used Mylers on my old horse and he loved them - literally had the worlds hardest mouth but he loved them!

Currently using NS turtle top but also have been recommended the new Avacello Jumpe Bit - which is bonkers, basically a lead rope with some rings on it!!! But then there is also Beris, Poponcini, Winderen, Trust bits, Bomber bits and I'm sure loads more!

I think NS probably are in favour at the moment cause they were innovating with new technology, testing and have developed new bits - so they seem to be very popular at the mo!

Reactions: TPO

Dia

Visit site
I’ve had the same myler for 17 years, used on four different horses who have all gone much better than in previous snaffles/gags. It was second hand then!

Steerpike

Visit site
The majority of mine go in some form of myler, they have quite big tongues and small mouths so I find they fit their mouths better

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
We're all generally in the happy hacker type mould too and I don't really see them used among those who are more into their dressage. Those people seem to be more into the NS and Sprenger type bits, I don't know why and if it's something to do with how the bits work or just what's fashionable at the moment.

Myler are designed in the US, unless things have change massively since I was buying bits, they don't have that many that are dressage legal. NS etc are developed in Europe with much more of a focus on dressage and I'd guess that not many are illegal, and then they work with the powers that be to get rules changed, more bits accepted, or they tweak the designs to make them legal.

ihatework

Visit site
I have the MB02 and MB32 dressage legal versions in my bit box. They come out every now and again, depending on the horse. I also have an MB04 with hooks that is a useful XC / galloping bit.

HelenBack

Visit site
Myler are designed in the US, unless things have change massively since I was buying bits, they don't have that many that are dressage legal. NS etc are developed in Europe with much more of a focus on dressage and I'd guess that not many are illegal, and then they work with the powers that be to get rules changed, more bits accepted, or they tweak the designs to make them legal.

Yes, that's a good point. I don't compete anymore so had forgotten about the dressage legal aspect but do now remember having to seek clarification about whether my Myler was legal when I did compete.

That's interestingly enough what I have noticed too. At the end of the day what's important is what suits the horse best!

I wonder if it's the power of marketing? NS and Sprenger both heavily advertise and appeal to the 'high tech' and 'sporty' side of things - which makes it very fashionable. If I'm honest I've not seen much marketing from Myler, and they don't have the same sort of copy and immense detail/jargon (can you tell I work in sales and marketing...? :oops:)

I would love to try a Myler. My chap is an overgrown Connie, so small-horse sized with pony proportions - narrow head and not a huge amount of room in his mouth because of it.

I think you're probably right about there being less marketing from Myler, maybe they focus their efforts in the US more?I believe they have loads more models you can choose from over there, as if the choice of bits wasn't already bewildering enough!

My lad is an oversized Connie and we've had great fun trying to get bridles and bits that fit him and he likes. He's very happy to tell me if he doesn't like a certain bit too, I once had to get off after about 15 minutes with a bit I was trying as he made it quite clear he wanted it out of his mouth now!

Can you still get the Mylers on trial from the Bit Bank? I would have thought it's worth a go if you can. The one thing I would say if you do decide to try one is that they come up big so you might have to go down a size depending in what you've been using so far.

VioletStripe

Visit site
Yes, that's a good point. I don't compete anymore so had forgotten about the dressage legal aspect but do now remember having to seek clarification about whether my Myler was legal when I did compete.

I think you're probably right about there being less marketing from Myler, maybe they focus their efforts in the US more?I believe they have loads more models you can choose from over there, as if the choice of bits wasn't already bewildering enough!

My lad is an oversized Connie and we've had great fun trying to get bridles and bits that fit him and he likes. He's very happy to tell me if he doesn't like a certain bit too, I once had to get off after about 15 minutes with a bit I was trying as he made it quite clear he wanted it out of his mouth now!

Can you still get the Mylers on trial from the Bit Bank? I would have thought it's worth a go if you can. The one thing I would say if you do decide to try one is that they come up big so you might have to go down a size depending in what you've been using so far.

It's funny you say that - my oversized Connie is exactly the same! Very overactive in his mouth too, if he's concentrating/finding something difficult.

You can, yes. I'm having a think about a low ported snaffle. Narrow head=not much room and he doesn't love a lot of tongue pressure. I've also been recommended on here a Bombers happy tongue bit, which I am looking into also.

alexomahony

Visit site
I use a Myler triple barrel as a thinner mouthpiece suits him well. After trying loads of bits, he seems to like this most and goes OK in it. Though I’m still not convinced he’s completely happy so I’m going to try something that offers some tongue relief such as a Fager Carl x

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
It's what ever your horse likes.

Mine wnet OK in a myler but goes brilliantly in the NS Team up.

I had a horse bit fit lady out and we tried loads.

spacefaer

Visit site
It's interesting what suits different horses and riders - I've never ridden a horse in a Myler that didn't go better in a different bit!

In the various Myler bits I've ridden in, I have hated the feel they give.

I took one horse xc in a combination bit and it was like riding him in a headcollar ??

For a small mouth /big tongue, I've had most success with variations on a Bomber bit.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
My horse and previous horses all used Myler bits.

I used to sell Myler bits when I had a bit bank, when I sold them the importer/wholesaler was Belstane, they did quite a bit of marketing, having whole page adverts in H&H, they would do clinics around the country with Dale Myler, campaigned to make more bits dressage legal and sponsored a few well known riders. I closed my bit bank and saw that Belstane was in trouble, sold all the bits they had in stock really cheaply at an auction, these then turned up on ebay for a fraction of their value. Belstane are now Shaws Equestrian and wholesaling the bits still, but a lot more quietly than a few years ago.