Have you ever seen this as a sign of Laminitis? ..

Rueysmum

Visit site
It really looks like pus dripping to me - or am I seeing things? When I noticed it I wondered if he had had an infection there causing the lameness which has come to light now that you have clipped the hair off? If he is using the leg now that would tie in with the pus starting to come out i.e. he's more comfortable.

I hasten to add I am not a vet - I have just seen a lot of pus in my time and am just recovering from an abscess on my thumb which was excruciating!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
not a big ergot at all, you should see franks! agree def ergot tho not pus! :). He doesn't half like to make you worry am keeping fingers crossed for him and taking using it today as a good sign.

cptrayes

Visit site
Hmmm that's what I was thinking :confused:

This is the leg he tweaked his DDFT way back in 2002 (I think) :rolleyes:

Do you think this could be why he is behaving the way he has been, with this leg?

Quite possibly. It's close to where the annular ligament is too, I think, and that can cause restriction in the other tendons it runs over. Your vet needs a look and a scan I think.

Rosehip

Visit site
I second (or is it 3rd?) the reaction that it looks like pus in the ergot, there is 99.9% chance that the ddft/superficial flexor tendon has been well tweaked in that leg (my old lad ripped his SFT in both front legs several times), but I would also investigate the possibility that there is an infection aroung the tendon sheath that is emerging through the ergot....xx

Sorry, hope you dont mind but Ive cropped and resized the pic of his leg to show the ergot area more. Really hope you dont mind!

2012-02-23180109-1.jpg

Last edited:

Eaglestone

Visit site
I second (or is it 3rd?) the reaction that it looks like pus in the ergot, there is 99.9% chance that the ddft/superficial flexor tendon has been well tweaked in that leg (my old lad ripped his SFT in both front legs several times), but I would also investigate the possibility that there is an infection aroung the tendon sheath that is emerging through the ergot....xx

Sorry, hope you dont mind but Ive cropped and resized the pic of his leg to show the ergot area more. Really hope you dont mind!

2012-02-23180109-1.jpg

No I don't mind you cropping and resizing the pic ;)

Anyway, what you are seeing is where I cut off his Ergot and a little bit got left behind ... his Ergots are always very crumbly and a bit like an oversized wart, so what is seen here is one little bit that's left. But I will double check, in the morning.

Vet came out today and xrayed all round and found that as his soles are so very thin, then this is what is causing his foot pain. Has recommended Steward Clogs all round and Farrier booked for Monday afternoon.

I asked about the swelling on his bad leg and she felt is was due to his previous DDFT injury and a reaction due to the extra strain (or something like that :confused:) .... so not duly concerned about this :confused:

Will upload the xrays, when I get some copies next week, hopefully.

Thank you all, for all your help, advise and support :)

Rosehip

Visit site
Ahhhh, that would make sense!! I thought it looked like an ooze of pus that had sort of solidified, so if he has crumbly ergots that would account for it! My old cushings lad went the same - I wonder if it is a cushings thing? He always had lovely ergots and chestnuts till he came down with it, and from then on they went soft and a bit like wensleydale cheese!
Would bandaging down his leg, over the fetlock and down the pastern help Motors leg do you think? Just to support under the fetlock and the tendon area incase there is a tweak that is sore? I know there is the thing now that one shouldnt bandage tendons, but I always did with Sunny, and still do with Mel and Seri if needed.

Good luck with the steward clogs, will you post piccys of his new tootsies??
How is he feeling today xx

Eaglestone

Visit site
Ahhhh, that would make sense!! I thought it looked like an ooze of pus that had sort of solidified, so if he has crumbly ergots that would account for it! My old cushings lad went the same - I wonder if it is a cushings thing? He always had lovely ergots and chestnuts till he came down with it, and from then on they went soft and a bit like wensleydale cheese!
Would bandaging down his leg, over the fetlock and down the pastern help Motors leg do you think? Just to support under the fetlock and the tendon area incase there is a tweak that is sore? I know there is the thing now that one shouldnt bandage tendons, but I always did with Sunny, and still do with Mel and Seri if needed.

Good luck with the steward clogs, will you post piccys of his new tootsies??
How is he feeling today xx

Wensleydale Cheese, just about sums them up lol.

Thank you so much for asking about my special boy :D

Well today he is putting weight on the foot, but he is still sweaty between his hind legs, but the opposite side of the 'bad' one :confused:. He had a LW rug on and his stable is very cool, as it is brick built .... I think this is a sign of pain, as he had the same problem, when he was on box rest in 2005 with the Cushings induced Lamintis .... but he is as happy as larry and has an opinion on things, and he also keeping at eye on me, so that is a very good sign :D

Now I want to know who is going to look after me, as my little Cob decided that his big foot was going to squash down on mine today and it hurts like hell :mad::mad: ... do I cold tub or hot tub it :rolleyes:

PS .... will definitely post pics of the Steward Clogs .... hmmmm I wonder how much they are going to cost me :eek:

Rosehip

Visit site
If he has an opinion then he cant be in too much pain! I always know when Mels or Seri arent right as they dont chatter and they dont rumage around me! Normally its like having 2 large labrador dogs x siamese cats whiffling round me! I know if the foal isnt right if she doesnt boing onto me!

Ouch, thats not good with your foot!! I'd say ice and arnica...and wine!

I know what you mean about the sweating being a sign of pain, but if you are keeping him as happy as you can then that is all you can do, and it sounds as if you are doing everything humanely possible for him. My guess with the clogs..... close your eyes, put your fingers in your ears and hand them your card, and dont look at your bill!! :( xx

Eaglestone

Visit site
Ouch, thats not good with your foot!! I'd say ice and arnica...and wine!

My guess with the clogs..... close your eyes, put your fingers in your ears and hand them your card, and dont look at your bill!! :( xx

You have certainly put a smile on my face :D .... I have been such a grumpy and grouchy old bat recently :eek: ... I have my foot in a bowl of warm saline water, with a Whisky in my my hand and it feels soooo much better ... I could not bear the thought of ice (on my foot, not in the Whisky :rolleyes:)

Oh and I forgot to answer your last, but one, suggestion about bandaging his leg. Well, as the Vet did not suggest it, I think I had better not, however, I really do think that years ago, this would have been the choice of treatment .... but lets hope I do not live to regret it :(

x

Rosehip

Visit site
Oh Im so jealous now! I want a whiskey....or balieys....or a port and brandy.....:( Dont think Im allowed to have anything at the mo, although Im off my meds now....hmmmmm, maybe I should give it a try??! I'll pass on the warm saline though, Im not allowed to lift the kettle!
Ive been rather a grumpy pants myself lately, (I find sarcasm really helps! :D) with my health not being great and the ponies not being quite right, so i know its nice to have a smile sometimes.

I find it really odd that for years 'the' thing to do with tendons was to bandage, and now suddenly its really frowned upon because of the possibility of "overheating" the leg. I know for certain that Sunny wouldnt have lasted as long as he did without his support bandages when he needed it. I wonder if it has anything to do with people not learning/knowing how to bandage properly these days?

Hows that whiskey going down? Give Motor a snuggle from me and my girls next time you check him :) x

holt889

Visit site
Sorry to join this so late on but my pony was doing the same thing... Resting one hind leg, looked very stiff when walking on it, holding it up high now and again. He is 26 so got vet out as I knew he wasn't right in himself ... Diagnosed with cushings and laminitis ... Up until then he showed no signs of lameness so I was really shocked !! Just thought I'd share that incase you want to get yours checked next time vet is out. Hope he gets better soon.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Sorry to join this so late on but my pony was doing the same thing... Resting one hind leg, looked very stiff when walking on it, holding it up high now and again. He is 26 so got vet out as I knew he wasn't right in himself ... Diagnosed with cushings and laminitis ... Up until then he showed no signs of lameness so I was really shocked !! Just thought I'd share that incase you want to get yours checked next time vet is out. Hope he gets better soon.

Thank you holt889 ... Motor is already a Cushing's horse and has suffered Laminitis and yes you are right, that is what it was again, but more so due to bruising, as he now has such thin soles and is on a Healthy4hooves to get some growth ... so fingers crossed :)

How is your pony doing?

Eaglestone

Visit site
Hows the old boy doing? Hope hes ok.

Thank you so much for asking :):)

He is doing well and had his new Steward clogs on his hinds.

Not allowed out for his walks again yet! He has been as happy as larry since having them fitted and I have now been able to walk him to his lovely deep bedded Field Shelter, where he can be with his mate :D ... and is now on "box" rest outside 24/7 ... easier in some ways, but not others, but the main thing is that he is happy ... I owe him that :)

I keep him busy hanging a 2nd hay net off his fence and he is convinced he is stealing the hay ;);)

Fingers crossed for him ............

Sandstone1

Visit site
Glad to hear hes doing well, I hope he continues to improve. I lost my mare to lammi a couple of years ago and it was horrid. Good luck with him.