Have you turned out this morning?

Winklepoker

Visit site
As title, I would never dream of keeping my horse in because its windy but it seems there are many that do... what do you do?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Mine are actually in which is very rare for me.

Not only is it blowing a gale it is hacking it down. There isn't really any shelter in their field and I won't be back at the yard til 6pm as I'm back at work now.

I think 11 hours in the pouring rain and driving wind is probably more than even my two would fancy! They'd only be dangerous to fetch in by the time I got there and I can do without being mown down the first day back to work.

Boysy

Visit site
Mine live out but i am just about to go and bring in for the day to give my field a rest as it is totally flooded and they get worn out chasing their hay around, theres working for your feed and taking the p*ss and they definitely think the second option this morning - LOL!

hunting mad

Visit site
i was just about to ask the same.
It seems so many are giving their horses a "duvet day"
For goodness sakes,they are horses and need to go out.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Mine are in today. Normally they're out at around 7.00am but their field is very exposed & wind swept. When it's like today they just yomp around, trashing the paddock, divots & skid marks everywhere. When I get back to the yard they are fence walking & waiting to come in. This is the weather when injuries occur in the paddock so I just skip out their stables, leave them plenty of hay & they'll be riden tonight to exercise them.

If mine weren't as highly strung I would probably turn them out but with them it's just asking for trouble .

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Mine is turned out in his small restricted paddock positioned next to a good hedge. I've no doubt he will be head down stuffing hay in his face most of the day :rolleyes:

canteron

Visit site
Mine live out :) they have plenty of shelter and contrary to my jokes and popular belief, they will not blow away :D

This ... and I think it is quite hard work for them standing in the wind, so looking forward to having a chilled out horse tomorrow!! The alternative is to keep them in today and have an unexploded bomb to sit on in the (lesser) wind tomorrow!

Dovorian

Visit site
1 is out because she will stress + her paddock is well sheltered, the other 2 are having a roam the yard/driveway day, access to stables and haynets tied on the fences. Up to them if they stand in or not then!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Mine are out - but they have a fab field for any kind of weather - 3 sides of the field have HUGE hedges - bit scary with all the killer (sparrows) wildlife in them though lol - but come rain or shine they can find what shelter suits them.

katherine1975

Visit site
My two normally live out as much as possible. The field is saturated and the weather is awful so they came in last night for the first time, I turned them out this morning but they will be in again tonight.

cblover

Visit site
My 3 are out, just as normal. Back in tonight at 5pm. Very windy here but all 3 seemed happy to canter up the hill and start munching!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I turnout mainly in the sand turnout in the winter. They go out in shifts and have never missed a single day in seven years. However, After putting the first of them out this morning I am seriously debating about turning the more fiesty ones out. But then, looking at the forecast, it is set to be very windy all week and so I will have more trouble tomorrow if they have been kept in today, so it looks as though they will all be going out. I hate this weather!

Flame_

Visit site
In. In this weather getting to the field is nothing but hard work and drama, while they're in the field all they do is circuits round a tree by the gate winding themselves up then getting the beggars back to their stables is more hard work and drama. It is so not worth letting them out.

TigerTail

Visit site
Mine live out so its not really an option :D

I rugged my mare for about the 3rd time this year last night as we were forecast snow and gale force winds. Temps cant have dropped that low as its rain and the winds.

I put two bales out last night, into our hay boxes, so as long as the buggars havnt yanked the whole bale out it shouldnt have blown away :D

Provided they have rugs on, why wouldnt people turn them out? Theyre 2/3rds dry and warm, can have a wander round etc. They may be waiting by the fence when you get there but thats cos they know what time you arrive! Its a tiny snap shot of their day and they wont be doing that all day.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am not worried about them being out, it's the bringing in I dread the most, especially if I'm on my own. It's really hard leading the last two in and trying to stop the gate from slamming onto them. The other day there was a huge monster behind us and both refused to face forwards. I had to back them all the way into the yard! :rolleyes:

Hedwards

Visit site
mine is out, although i have put a rug on her as she struggles when she gets soaked and with the wind i think it would get through the thick fur to her skin today!

hunting mad

Visit site
Into a field with no shelter when there is horizontal rain and you can't only put them out for a few hours?

I still stand by that horses need to go out,BUT in this less that ideal world,sometimes its not possible.
Im a firm believer that alot of problems,health,and mental well being of horses are caused by humans not allowing them to be horses,and standing in for the day,is one of them.

milesjess

Visit site
Mines been out all night and will be all day until 5-6pm... Will be bringing him in later though to get him out the wind for a bit.

Personally I like to just get him out the wind/rain as its hard work bracing against it 24/7!

Burnttoast

Visit site
Owner's two are in, the yard has instructions to turn out later if it looks safer :confused: Actually, am hoping they don't because I'm helping bring in later and they are fun to collect at the best of times :rolleyes: The ridden horse has a lesson later so at least he will work and the baby won't care where he is as long as there's food.

charleysummer

Visit site
Mine is still out 24/7 and has a shelter and a lightweight on. Although she wont be standing in the shelter because there is far too much grass to be eaten in the top fields! so long as she isn't cold then i like her to be out. Personally hate stables, I have to look away when I walk horses out with fluid filled stable legs! only go in if the others are in and she has no company

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Imagine that!! Flying horses!

News report: The A123 in Merthyr has been closed due to gusts of ponies. The met-office have issued a severe weather warning.