Have you turned out this morning?

Kat

Visit site
Mine stresses when kept in so she'll be out. The others will be standing behind a wall keeping watch over the gate, mine will be in the middle of the field on her own grazing :rolleyes: and pretending she can't hear her name being called at bringing in time :rolleyes: someone forgot to give her the memo about warmbloods being wimpy and liking their home comforts.

Capriole

Visit site
mine are out. They will be down in the valley out of the wind. Im sure there will be a few stable roofs off today, its awful!

Gracie21

Visit site
I swore when I bought my youngster (arab) that I would never keep him in during the day...

Well he stayed in this morning!!! He HATES the rain, and he ripped his rug to shreds yesterday, so I need to get a new one! He's gone out this afternoon, now the rain has stopped, to burn off some of that energy before its time for bed again!

proctor

Visit site
My boy lives out, and the weather doesnt bother him in the slightest! He's stood happily grazing in the middle of the field and it's blowing a gale and hoofing it down! I would much prefer them out in windy weather than in, I've seen a stable roof ripped off in the wind and the poor horse badly injuring itself as it was so frightened. And these stables were lovely, not ramshackled run down things either!

Kenzo

Visit site
I'd rather them be out, but that's them and its me who turns them out.

All horses are differnt and I can appreiciate YO's/grooms etc not wanting to turn some out due to how they behave while being led out or doing an injury in the field.

tilly_monster

Visit site
All of mine are in and out every horse has its own yard attached to their stables so it's up to them if they want to be in or not, all of my field are waterlogged, also while they are in they get turned out in the school for about a hour

sandi_84

Visit site
My wimpy cob is out in his h/w after a few days of being in, quite pleased coz he was a gentleman about it. He was obviously excited to be getting out again coz he was walking faster when he saw where he was going but otherwise he was as good as gold. Don't feel the least bit guilty turfing him out either :p

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Mine are usually in at night and out during the day but the forecast looked dire so I brought them in at about 4 ish yesterday, turned them out in the track for an hour or so whilst I mucked out this morning and then brought them in again. Jazzy was most keen to come in, Mouse was undecided and Thunder was damned right awkward about coming in and if one does, they all do, and Jazzy is the priority!!!

When it stopped sheeting down and blowing a gale I put all the electric fencing up (which had ALL come down overnight) and threw them all out, and mucked the boxes out and got them all ready again. Looking at the forecast though, they might be out for a while now (even overnight) as mouse has RAO (COPD) and is better off out. It's not due to rain again for a bit :)

Clannad48

Visit site
Mine stresses when kept in so she'll be out. The others will be standing behind a wall keeping watch over the gate, mine will be in the middle of the field on her own grazing :rolleyes: and pretending she can't hear her name being called at bringing in time :rolleyes: someone forgot to give her the memo about warmbloods being wimpy and liking their home comforts.

Ha ha, just like our dumbblood but she doesn't stress if kept in - she went out this morning at 6.30 in the dark - she actually took me mud skiing as she was so eager to get to the grass - I never knew that warmbloods had a rep for being wimpy - they've never met mine then :)

cm2581

Visit site
I would never turn horses out in the sort of wind we had earlier because there are very large trees on one side of the field. If I turn them out, go away to work and a tree falls on the fence, it could burst at any point and the horses could end up anywhere. If there were no trees and no other reason the fencing should be affected by the wind (eg post and rail can blow down!!) then I would double rug (two lighter rugs) as I find the wind and rain seems to go between the rugs rather than under, and chuck them out.

fruity

Visit site
My boys were out last night,couldn't sleep last night worried about them. Ones a dartmoor and the others a welsh d,so built for it really but the one night i had to leave them out (early start at work) it peas it down! I did bring them in at 11 and there still in now,will stick them back out at 7pm tonight,just hope it doesn't pour down again! They were soaked through the poor things!

Visit site
My two are in and have been for about a week now as my yard has limited winter turnout. They have been going on the horse walker/being turned out in the outdoor school.

Syrah

Visit site
Horses were kept in today. The rain was horizontal and there was a tree blown down just up the lane, far too dangerous.

Did hack out once it had calmed down a bit and there was a bit of a lull in the storm.

B_2_B

Visit site
Ours were kept in today, they very rarely are, but it was chucking it down along with the wind and the suitable fields don't have much shelter and half of ours are elderly so they'd just be standing in mud getting wet and miserable lol.

They are in a large barn though, not stables.

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
Mine are in today, my boy hates the wind and will just tear ass it around the field until hes back in, and my tb will point blank refuse to go out, and will just stand by the gate kicking until shes back in.

They are fine in the stables thou as they are in a bit of a dip, so wind tends to miss then. I'd prefer them out, but sometimes you have to look at what keeps the horses happy!

Ali27

Visit site
I turned mine out at 6am this morning and mine seemed happy to go out! I turn mine out whatever the weather unless it has snowed and iced over and to slippery to get them up track to field! Mine were in for 3 days last winter!

muddygreymare

Visit site
My mare stayed in this morning but went out for the afternoon when it had calmed down a bit. She was totally chilled, she wandered around and eat, it doesnt really bother her - she only really starts if the other horses with her are going nuts :)

Wildforestpony18

Visit site
Ours were in today BUT it was chucking it down, blowing a gale (so much i thought the barn roof was going to come off! :eek: ) and at one point thundering! :eek: they are normally out but today was an exception! xx

fathoms-groom

Visit site
My 2 TB's were out well rugged up ,had to tighten the fillet strings, but the boys would rather be out, they turned their bums to the wind and rain and went straight to grazing brought them in at 4 had to fetch them the worst was over by then , and they were in no hurry for their feed and bed

Piglet

Visit site
Mine went out at 6.30 this morning even though there was a horrendous wind with horizontal rain and no shelter from the wind whistling up the valley from the estuary. He has a good rug with next cover. Don't think it would be fair to keep him in as he likes his routine of been out during the day

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Three of mine live out, so they didn't have much choice! The others went out for a bit in the morning (they were NOT impressed!), then they came back in (as per their usual routine). I arrived back to ride this afternoon after the worst of it, and turned the 'in' horses out again. They were keen to go. In contrast, caught two of the 'out' horses and tacked up in the stables, and they were ever so happy to be inside out of the weather for a while!

starry94

Visit site
put mine out just like every other day at around 8 30, it was windy and raining but not bad enough for me to keep him in. it did get awful at around 11 while i was at home & i did think about bringing him in but didnt.
when i put him out this morning none of them went into their field shelter to eat the hay, they just wanted the grass. i went back at 3 & the sun was out & was told none of them were bothered by the weather.
i prefer to put him out as he has a shelter & hay & grass & he can get stressed, he prefers to be out so he can move around

summerguest

Visit site
mine went out while I mucked out....but were very eager to come back in till the worst of the rain stopped. The ones left out stood by gate with heads on the floor not at all impressed. Mine had their stable doors open while I was pottering about and none of them made any attempt to venture back out!

sakura

Visit site
I left my mare's stable door open tonight whilst I was doing various things, if she ever wants to go out for a play in the arena when she's been kept in for whatever reason, she'll let me know and head that way but tonight she stood there just looking out at the trees bending - I guess she meant that as a "no way am I going out in that!"

all horses are different, I never kept my previous horse in for a whole day in his life, he hated being in

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mine stayed in today. Normally they go out whatever the weather but a) mine is worried by high winds, 2) I was meeting a friend, so wouldn't be around to get them in if the weather got worse, 3) I was worried the electric fence would blow over, or they would gallop around and skid into it, 4) a branch of the tree might blow down on them.

The wind and rain was horrendous when I was mucking out, so I changed his rug to a lighter one and gave him plenty of hay and water and left them in. Horse seemed quite pleased to stay in, although clearly a bit p.o. when I eventually arrived home, nearly in the dark to give him his tea. He still had some hay left,, so not starving. Take him out for a ride first thing tomorrow.

unbalanced

Visit site
I had to keep my pony in because the electric fence separating her from the boundary fence between the edge of the field and the road is down. It's not that I think that she's likely to get out, it's that when I tried turning her out some men walking a dog called her over and started feeding her goodness knows what! So she is in until the weather leaves me alone to untangle the mess of electric wire, which is getting worse and worse.
I don't think she's too upset about staying in as I put her out for half an hour at 6am this morning (supervised) and she spent it calling to come in (even though she could get to the bit of the field that hasn't been grazed since August so is lush and she's normally banned from it). I'm not happy though as I haven't got time to be riding for over an hour after work (without floodlights) and the light is broken in my stable and I am waiting for the farmer to have time to fix it so I am mucking out in the pitch black. Oh back to work was miserable today :(.