Haven't fallen off yet (surprisingly)

Isa7182

Visit site
Hey everyone.

I can't believe I fallen off yet! I'm not even bragging, I'm quite surprised, I actually want to fall off, weirdly.

I've been riding for 6 months now and I've had plenty of near falls and recently sat my first proper buck and a gallop, both of which were unplanned (duh!) and managed to keep my seat even if my feet went right through the stirrups on my gallop. What an adrenaline rush that gave me!

All I can say is my time will come soon and the sooner the better ;) I'm just waiting for my first fall :rolleyes:

Isa7182

Visit site
Oh and this was in the paddock doing some independent riding, which went wrong, my friend fell but she was unhurt. I wouldn't have let him take off if I could stop him but I couldn't, he was far too strong. Live and learn!!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
If you are looking forward to your first fall might I suggest you make some attempt to sort your stirrups out, otherwise your first fall might be your last.

oldie48

Visit site
How strange you are! I've spent the whole of my riding career trying to ensure I stay on, unfortunately I haven't been entirely successful. Mostly when I've taken a fall I've been fine but I've had the occasional one which has resulted in an injury which is a real pain in more ways than one. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll fall off soon just make sure you always ride in a proper hat and if it takes a real knock then be prepared to buy a new one.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
my feet went right through the stirrups on my gallop.

It might be worth your while buying your own stirrups in the correct size for your feet. Maybe even get some toe stoppers (they do come in other colours, not just pink :)) like these Zilco ones and then put your stirrups on the saddle for your lesson, then put the owner's ones back on when you've finished your lesson. I knew a very tall man with big feet who did this as he couldn't fit in 4 3/4 or 5 inch stirrups that are normally used, so he had his own 5 1/2 inch ones which he brought with him for lessons.

dbimage_file_ZGJfaW1hZ2VzL3Byb2R1Y3QvcHJvZHVjdF83NS5qcGc=_type_fill_width_208_height_170_bgcolor_F2F2F2.jpg

Auslander

Visit site
If you are looking forward to your first fall might I suggest you make some attempt to sort your stirrups out, otherwise your first fall might be your last.

This. Your foot should not be able to go right through a stirrup, and if it can, the equipment you are being provided with is not fit for purpose. Most of your posts about the establishment you ride at bother me from a welfare and safety point of view, and this just adds to them.

Isa7182

Visit site
Hmm, I'll look into that. I have trouble when they are too long to. One legs longer than the other and it messes everything up. I think they we're a bit long that day.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
Don't jinx yourself. Whenever I say to someone I haven't fallen off for ages I end up hitting the deck not long after!

Agreed!

However I kind of know what you mean, OP. I hadn't fallen off in 11 years, and I started to get worried that because I hadn't fallen off in so long, when I did it was going to be horrific. So it was almost a relief to fall off hacking in an open field (horse spooked, slipped, and fell), just to get that first one over with!

Isa7182

Visit site
Agreed!

However I kind of know what you mean, OP. I hadn't fallen off in 11 years, and I started to get worried that because I hadn't fallen off in so long, when I did it was going to be horrific. So it was almost a relief to fall off hacking in an open field (horse spooked, slipped, and fell), just to get that first one over with!

Exactly! I'm just waiting for my first fall and I seem to have this stick-ability to the saddle :p. I wouldn't say I'm good rider, I'm far from it yet, but the more i wait on it, the more nervous I get hat something bad will happen. Likely possibility that I might fall off this week because I'm having a operation and the anesthetic might make me a bit un coordinated for a couple of days :p

TrasaM

Visit site
It took me 14 months before my first fall .. It was a non event of horse tripping and slipping which catapulted me off and resulted in a badly broken collarbone. I still think the wily old bag knew what she was doing and it was deliberate! Never rode a Her again :eek:

Exactly a year later ..same date even! I fell again when the horse refused a jump and sent me on ahead..I was wearing a body protector and didn't feel a thing but my poor RI almost had a fit! I got back on board laughing because I was so pleased that I'd fallen without hurting myself.
Next fall I had no chance and was still in the saddle when horse slipped and fell on me..that hurt a lot!
So be careful what you wish for ;)

gunnergundog

Visit site
As well as checking your stirrup irons, check the footwear that you use. A proper riding boot with a heel should not allow your foot to slide through an iron that is the correct size. As someone else said, another fall like that and it could be your last. :(

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
As well as checking your stirrup irons, check the footwear that you use. A proper riding boot with a heel should not allow your foot to slide through an iron that is the correct size. As someone else said, another fall like that and it could be your last. :(

Agree with this and Jemima. Please check stirrups and your boots. DON'T ride in trainers/plimsolls as they have no heel and they can go through the stirrup. You do NOT want to fall off and have your foot caught.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I came off once alone, in an open field. I fell off and my foot was twisted and caught in the stirrup. As I lay on the ground, I couldn't free myself for several minutes. The scariest thing was being trapped and desperately hoping the horse wouldn't spook and run dragging me behind. I could have been killed.

Please be careful, your other thread about the lame horse worried me about your RS and this is another indication that you are not doing yourself justice by riding there. It's a shame because you obviously love riding and horses. You could learn so much more at a reputable place.

Dunlin

Visit site
I hope it wasn't Sarge that you were galloping and jumping? That horse was severely lame and needs time off and rest at the very least.

Your stirrups did look a little long in the video on your other thread as you couldn't seem to get your heels down, but your boots are fine as they are proper jodhpur boots with a good heel.

I'm not going to scaremonger you with regards to falling off but please don't brag about it and certainly don't look forward to it. You would not look forward to a car accident, treat this the same.

I hope you continue to enjoy your riding but I'm with dogatemysalad on this one. I think you will gain so much more by attending a fully insured and licensed riding school who do not work lame horses and have them 'unintentionally' jumping and galloping. Sorry if you do not like my post but I simply care.

charli_

Visit site
An instructor I used to have as a teenager always told me that every real rider has fallen off at least seven times - in that case I think i must have about 10 real rider spirits trapped inside!:D As others have said, most falls have resulted in a few bumps and scrapes but nothing serious. A few have been hospital visits but I've always been fine afterwards. Just a side note - don't want to sound too serious about it but always make sure you get back on after fall (unless you are in complete agony) Last week I managed to fall off landing from a jump as Prince slipped - which resulted in me on the floor and crying for - yes - my mum because I had broken my coccyx. She was watching us jump and I have to say, looking back, as a 25 year old this does seem a little childish!:D It hurt a lot but she convinced me to get back on and have one last ride round. Even if it's just a walk, it teaches the horse (and you!) that you won't just give up if you fall. Good luck with your fall and always wear as much protection as you can. If I wasn't wearing a fitted hat I could have seriously damaged my skull last week and I wasn't wearing my body protector (which would have meant I hadn't broken it) as the buckles have broke so I have since bought a new one:) Good luck!:)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Be careful what you wish for. A few weeks back I was joking to a friend that H naps and spins so much that I've developed the stickiest bum ever and doubted he'd ever have me off with one of his silly maneuvers. 10 minutes later I was eating dirt when H took offence to some men playing tennis alongside the bridleway and dropped his shoulder and spun mid-canter. Totally deserved and won't be bragging about my sticky bum again in a hurry!

showpony

Visit site
Something just isnt sitting right about where you are riding... Firstly you are riding a lame horse then you get a rush from galloping another horse when your feet go through the stirrups... You are lucky not to be in hospital, if you had come off you would have been dragged by the horse at speed.

_GG_

Visit site
Op, be careful what you wish for. I do understand wanting to get it over with. I hadn't fallen off in 16 years and this time last year was wishing (not seriously) it would just happen....then it did and I wad on the tarmac with my horse on top of me. I was lucky.

Please, find a better and more responsible place to ride and address the issue with your feet going through. Your instructor should be doing this really.

Just be careful please. X

AmieeT

Visit site
OP I know how you feel- been riding 18m and by some miracle have stayed in the saddle- nearly came off jumping lasy week when my head was suddenly by his knee, but I have absolutely no recollection of pulling myself back up!

YO is now taking bets in when I'll eat dirt! All with lighthearted intent though.

Considering he quite liked to buck when I first started lessons (He's the only horse I've ridden) I'm quite chuffed lol.

Will be riding mine's owners other horse, a very marish TB, in a couple of weeks- she throws a nasty buck amd I'll be on a lunge so we'll see how sticky my bottom is then!! She's lovely on the ground anf I've been grooming her to butter her up, so hopefully it'll be fine lol.

Ax