Having a horse put down - Injection or Gun ?

lhamm

Visit site
I have to put my horse to sleep at the end of Summer, and i was wondering peoples thoughts on Injection or Shooting. People keep telling me not to have the injection, but i cant face having my horse shot. I just dont know what to do.

Flicker

Visit site
So sorry you are having to face this. Ive witnessed three horses PTS with injection. All three were calm and went peacefully. The vets were excellent, sedated beforehand and stayed to ensure the whole process was completed, doing a number of reflex tests at intervals. I wouldn’t hesitate to choose this method again if I had to.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's very personal and i don't think there's a right or wrong choice. all things being equal i would choose to have mine shot but the one i had pts this winter went by injection as the yard he was on would have been totally unsuitable for anything else due to all the comings and goings and other horses around.

I have seen a few go by both methods and most were very straightforward and quick. The only one that was not, the horse was not sedated before the injection began and i wish i had queried that at the time but it was not my horse (supporting a friend) or my vet so I kept my mouth shut, which was a mistake.

sorry you are facing this OP, have you got some support around to help you when the time comes?

ponynutz

Visit site
So sorry you are facing this OP.

I've seen a horse be put down by injection without sedation and it wasn't the quickest way. I like to think I would choose to shoot but injection with sedation seems to me to be the most humane option and would put my mind at most ease. A very personal choice though and it should be what puts you most at ease mentally and is the kindest for the horse.

I hope you have enough support - such a tricky decision and time for you. Sending hugs.

fankino04

Visit site
So sorry you are going through this. I was the same years ago when mine I had to be pts, I know shot is quick and effective but I just couldn't bear the thought of it so went with injection. She was sedated first and then 2nd injection quickly, it was very straightforward and as peaceful as it could be.

SEL

Visit site
I'm sorry OP. One of my livery yards used to call the hunt out and it is quick but not very pleasant for the human. I had one put down earlier this year by injection and it was a lot more peaceful.

TPO

Visit site
I've had both methods used and am familiar with the gun for other animals too.

There was a lot of bad press about the injection and that seems to have stuck. I actually had a conversation with my vet about different methods of pts the other week (as a general chat). He said that "back in the day" there wasn't as much anesthetic administered and the horror stories were from horses fighting the final injection.

I've had 1 horse pts by gun and then 5 by injection. I'd pick injection every time. Its very peaceful and controlled.

If you are not 100% comfortable with the gun then don't chose it. You don't need people forcing their opinions onto you so pick your friends and who you confide in carefully. It's a horrible time and you don't need anyone making it worse.

It might be worth calling the BHS Friends at the End helpline for some support too.

Sorry that you're facing this but hopefully some comfort knowing it's the final kindness that you can do for your horse. Take care

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had 2 pts by injection, years apart, and both times said 'Never again'. Each time it happened that the vet was there when the decision was made. The pony disliked injections anyway and the ID stood up on her back legs.
My preference is to have them shot, it's quicker, they can go with a mouthful of feed and they know absolutely nothing about it so that is what we have done with all the others, over the years.

Whatever you do, don't ask the vet to shoot the horse, the vast majority don't have enough experience to do a good job of it.

It is entirely your choice but if you have never seen a horse shot, I can see why you might not want that for yours.

Follysmum

Visit site
All mine have been Injection. Some planned some not. All sedated before hand and went very peacefully. Definitely as said before get a professional huntsman if you prefer to shoot as I have witnessed a vet making a complete mess when he missed my friends horse twice. Absolutely terrified the horse who reared and fell breaking his leg.

nagblagger

Visit site
I have been unfortunately involved with many using both methods, for my own and being 'the holder' for friends. To be honest a lot depends on who is doing it. Our knackersman is extremely good with the horse and owner, in an emergency i would call him every time . I have also witnessed very competent vets where the horses have gone peacefully, however a more junior vet started using clippers to 'see the vein', the horse had never been clipped so started to be upset, the owners who were just around the stable, were wondering what was going on, i did intervene and firmly but quietly told her to bl++dy well get on with it !

Summary - get it done by someone you know and trust, there is no right or wrong way.

Visit site
Always use a vet you 100% trust.

I have held onto horses to do both and I would always choose injection as its kinder to the human. I have had them go incredibly peacefully and equally have had some fight it to the very end.

Of the 3 I have held to be shot at home 2 went smoothly. The 3rd not so much. The horse moved its head at the last moment as the trigger was pulled and the bolt too the front of the eye off, the horse buggered off but thankfully just back to his stable and we had to blindfold him in the end. This was a professional knackerman who was horrified that it had gone wrong and I do genuinely believe he had never had that happen to him before. Having been through that I would not want the bolt gun without sedation.

I have been present when they have been shot at the track too and again very quick, very professional.

Do what is right for you.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I couldn't face shooting, I recently had the injection

He was heavily sedated as he was funny with needles, we then walked him to the spot where the deed was to be done, I held him until the vet was about to administer the lethal drug, she asked me to stand to the side as she explained they can fall awkwardly

Walked away, turned round as I didn't want to see him go down, however I turned back as he went down, and it was like he was lying down to sleep, it was so incredibly peaceful, I'd never seen a horse pts. I then sat with him for a bit after, I'm not sure whether you can after having the bullet?

Make sure you take some tail and mane hair, either just to keep loose or have a keepsake made if you would like that.

The vet was lovely as well.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I had mine PTS by the knackerman with a gun. He was incredibly kind and professional and it was over very quickly, my horse went eating a bucket of carrots and apples thinking she was in heaven. It was unfortunately very messy though which was upsetting as I had to clean it up - he did say it was unusual for there to be that much mess, bad luck I guess. That aside I'd have no hesitation in having one PTS by gun again.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Eta - you need to do what feels right for you and him, he's your horse so please try not to let other people at the yard bully you into the gun if you'd find it too upsetting

Also as its planned, you can choose a day in advance of the appointment and take some lovely photos of him/ you both, then get some of his favourite treats to spoil him beforehand on the day

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I've had my horses/ponies pts via injection using a Vet that I've known and trusted for many years. It was a very peaceful and dignified end for them.

I've witnessed many farmstock dispatched with a gun and only once it went wrong, a sheep needed a second shot. It wasn't pleasant, I was holding her, but she was a very very fit ewe.

BBP

Visit site
As above, whatever is best for you and your horse. I would never plan to have gun with BBP as he hates having his face touched but is absolutely fine with needles. And also for my own sake. I’ve been present and held 5 whilst they were done by injection including one that broke his leg at burghley at the point where I was stewarding (so he was full of adrenaline) and all 5 went quietly with no added dramas.

I’m sorry you are having to do this.

eggs

Visit site
Sorry you are having to go through this. Unfortunately I have had to have a fair few pts over the years and have always opted for sedation and injection. I do stay with them but hand the lead rope over to the vet after the sedation (she wouldn’t let me hold it even if I wanted to which I don’t) and step back. It has always been very smooth and peaceful.

You will probably hear it from others but do not stay to watch the body collection.

Ratface

Visit site
I've had two pts by injection by my trusted equine vet. Very peaceful end, both times.
I held one for a friend, who couldn't bear to be there. A brilliant professional knacker man. Kindness and efficency personified. Instant, and I believe the horse knew nothing.
I think that knowing and trusting your equine veterinarian/knacker is the key to a good outcome for both you and your horse.

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I had mine PTS by injection with sedation as an emergency due to colic, by my vet who had known him a long time.
He'd had a seizure so was already laying on the ground, but as horrible a situation it was, I was able to stroke his lovely as he slipped away.

It was as peaceful as it could have been given the circumstances.
Do whatever feels right for you, don't let people sway your decision of method if it's not what you want to do.