Hay Bar fitting problems?

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Just took delivery of a 'Hay Bar' today. Husband very kindly offered to fit it ..... Got to the yard armed with all the necessary tools, and OMG, did we have problems. The hay bar fits to the wall with 4, yes only 4 fixings. I thought this was going to be a doddle. How wrong was I? :( An hour later after freezing our bits off in the barn we still have no hay bar attached to the wall. The problem is getting the drill at the right angle to drill the holes, and then you have to screw the dam things up. Has anyone got one of these and if so how did you get on fixing it to the wall? Do you have any tips/special bits of equipment? Please share your stories as my darling husband (who may I add is usually excellent at DIY) has steam coming out of ears and that's not mentioning the bad language that was coming out of his mouth at a rate of knots !! :mad:
Any feedback muchly appreciated, :)

scots

Visit site
Hubby added more fixings just drilled through plastic with self tapper. To drill he kind of just twisted it.. We have moved mine 3 times so has it down to a T now

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Thanks Scots. I'm also wondering whether or not mine is too big for the horse intended. I purchased the 'horse' size one on advice from the haybar people for a 15hh :confused: What size did you go for? How big is your ponio?

jellyshark

Visit site
I had mine for years it has been moved about 8 times, last time by the yard owner from one stable to the other with no problems. Mine is full size and used easily by 14.2 ponies:)

scots

Visit site
Mine is the large size - my girl is 16hh - I put mine right on the floor rather than raised up though. ( another tip is put a rubber feed bucket in bottom to collect the seed heads etc)

scots

Visit site
By on the floor I mean they recommend it being about 6 inches off floor to sweep under and I haven't done that

3Beasties

Visit site
Is it into a wooden wall? If so you shouldn't have any problems. I just added more holes to mine by screwing through the plastic. If you can seem to get the edge that you screw through to fit flat against the wall don't panic, there is some flexibility to them so they tend to go flat as you screw them up.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I fitted all four of ours, three on to double skinned wooden walls, one on to single skin wall. I drilled the holes in the hay bars on the marked bits, held them in place on the wall, marked up where the holes in the walls needed to be, moved hay bar, drilled holes :) The double skinned ones, I used butterfly bolts (intended for plaster board) worked a treat, been up about ten years. The single wooden wall, I just used ordinary bolts and nuts. Hope that helps.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
When I fitted our Haybar I rested ther Haybar on a piece or timber that lifted it off the floor. That gave me a gap so I could get a broom under the Haybar the sweep out the fallen grass seeds etc.

I think I used 4 fixings down each side, I actually used round headed screws through washers into rawl plugs in the brick wall. I didn't use countersink screws as they would damage the holes in the haybar & the round head with washer would spread the load around the hole.

I'd drilled the holes through the flange on the haybar, had someone rest it on the piece of timber, hold it securely against the wall & mark the wall through the holes with a felt pen. The holes were drilled, plugs in, bar offered up to the wall & I screwed the screws in using my old trusty Stanley Yankee screwdriver. The chuck on the drill driver doesn't allow you to get the screws lined up properly & causes the issues your husband had. ;)

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Yep, yep, the blasted Hay Bar is finally up ! :) Thank you so much to you all who took the time to help me out. I have used a lot of your ideas and in actua fact we had the bar on the wall in no time at all. I say WE, (I had to be my husband's assistant and pass him the relevant tools at the right time!) I actually feel a prat posting my help comment last night. You must think I'm a right numpty, lol. The mare came in the barn tonight, walked into her stable and just froze in the door way and promptly snorted at the 'big black monster' in the corner. Obviously curiosity got the better of her and before too long she was munching, albeit with one eye firmly fixed on me peeping around the corner :D
I only hope the stable looks half decent in the morning and she's not used her haybar as a potty !!! .......:(

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Ha ha, i'm waiting for my hubby to put mine up for me, but I just know my mare will react in exactly the same way as yours op!