Hay Bars

Peanot

Visit site
I think they are expensive but I have also thought about getting one as my mare has her hay off the floor, but she isn`t messy with it so I don`t really need one. I think they attach to the wall and so it would be a struggle to clean up all the seeds and bits if you wet your horses hay.

TLL67

Visit site
I have one and love it, mine is set a couple inches from the floor( well room enough to get a dustpan brush under it) so no problems in sweeping bits out from under it. my lad has soaked aswell and we have no problems @ all :)
haybar.jpg

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Fab brill well worth the money - I got mine for half price on ebay, but having had one would happily pay fully price.

Wet hay drains as it would if you put it on the floor and fit about an inch or two off floor, so can brush out, easy.

Sparks hay lasts longer too now she hasn't got to wrestle with a hay net.

miss_bird

Visit site
i have not used the hay bars, but i rent stables from a local farmer, these were originally used to house cows and calves together so they have the hay rack's used for cattle in them. The farmer very kindly blocked in the fronts with a bit of plywood.
As 3 of my horse have soaked hay the water and dust was able to run out of the bottom. They are big enough that if i fill them up, there is pleanty of room for ad-lib hay to last over night.
This would prob be a cheaper alternative to buy, or check with any local farmers.

Happytohack

Visit site
Love them. Bought them last year, including one pony one which is really cute! Great not to have to fill haynets up. Make sure you set them off the floor as previously posted, and you need to clean out any left overs so it doesn't go musty. Wouldn't be without mine.

showjump2003

Visit site
I take it they just come in corner units? My only worry is that my stables are home made and not completly square!

Also, what size do you think I will need, I need one for as 15.2hh horse and one for a 14.3hh?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Won't matter that stable not completely square as they are plastic, so do have a bit of flex. I have a 15.3hh Cob who has the bigger size (which can hold a whole bale), however would have thought the 14.3hh would be fine with the smaller one (but I've never seen the small ones). Can try and get the dimensions of large one tomorrow if you want.

Bossanova

Visit site
I dont really see much advantage over traditional hay racks- we've got metal mesh ones-theyre sturdy, safe, very easy to feed from and clean and theyre far cheaper!!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Traitional hay rack go on the wall, so seed dust etc can drop into horses eyes. You also get covered in hay (if your short) trying to get the hay into them in the first place.

Hay bars are like feeding hay from floor, so more natural (god I sound like a tree hugger). Hay bars are apparently used by a lot of dressage and showing yards as horses eat with head down, thus helping build topline (in theory).

_jetset_

Visit site
I am in the process of ordering one at the moment... I need one because Hannah trashes her stable when she has hay on the floor and then won't eat the hay that's mixed with the shavings. I need something for when Hannah has her foal in March, so she might as well get used to it as soon as possible!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My 15.3hh reaches fine, but will measure from floor to top of haybar tomorrow if you like. As they slope towards the wall they can get up close to them, without banging their knees.

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Traitional hay rack go on the wall, so seed dust etc can drop into horses eyes. You also get covered in hay (if your short) trying to get the hay into them in the first place.

Hay bars are like feeding hay from floor, so more natural (god I sound like a tree hugger). Hay bars are apparently used by a lot of dressage and showing yards as horses eat with head down, thus helping build topline (in theory).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ours arent fitted high though- theyre fitted high enough so that the horse cant paw and get a foot in, about chest height so they feed from the right level and filling them is easy (our physio says it's bad for the competition horses to constantly eat off the floor)

Bossanova

Visit site
No idea!! Just what she says- she likes the weediest one to be fed from up higher too. Hold on I shall go take a pic.....

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Ohhh have always been advised to feed from floor. Seems to suit my girl anyway, guess its just a case of horses for courses. Took hay rack down as fed up of looking like a scarecrow (5ft 2ins short arse!!!). Anyway luvvvvv haybar and wouldn't be without it, but each to their own.
smile.gif

TLL67

Visit site
I've always been advised to feed from the floor as well, as its how they would eat/graze anyway,heres a snippet from a Physiotherapist on haybar website
"A horse should eat the way the body was designed, with the neck and back stretched through its top line to a low level and the teeth and jaw working in a natural position.”

and yep very much each to there own :)

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to be able to nip out and see my horse in my dressing gown...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it has it advantages
smirk.gif

Sorry, it's not the best light for pic taking but seriously, these are sooo much cheaper and work really well. Most have them in the corner, I just happened to pick one which doesnt!!
PICT0317-1.jpg

Bossanova

Visit site
ah- now I certainly wouldnt use a hay bar with a foal... *prepares to be slaughtered*
With our baby with replaced that one with a green square tub one with a grill thin on top...hard to describe but basically absolutely no way foal can get leg in but keeps feeding height the same and holds enough to keep mummy happy. Shall try see if it's light enough to get a pic....
smirk.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
Boss can i just ask why you wouldnt use a hay bar with a foal? just out of interest, not wanting to slaughter you as you are font of all knowledge. Just that Ebi & Willow have a haybar

Bossanova

Visit site
I just have visions of baby rearing and putting one leg down then struggling to get it back up, panicking and snap. I know, highly, highly unlikely to happen and theyre designed well but I just wouldnt quite trust it!!