Haycube

holeymoley

Visit site
Does anyone have one? Really tempted to buy one but they are pricey. Looking for something that soaks hay but can drain it mess-free. Previously used a large tub but goes everywhere when it's emptied and new yard isn't too keen on the amount of water that would go everywhere. Need something that will empty in the one spot.

Auslander

Visit site
We've got one - and it's great! You can't completely drain it though, as the drain hole is in the back, not the bottom, so there's always a bit of water slooshing around in the bottom

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hi, Yes i have two. They do save a lot of hassle and mess. My beds are a lot dryer as even when i think I've drained nets long enough i guess some must drip back into the bed.
The tap on them is slightly too high so you do need to drain then tip back and drain again (there are holes in the handle) otherwise you get really wet yuck in the bottom.
I rinse mine out daily with a hose as find they can get smelly.
My horses are perfectly happy to eat from them and they are easy to use.

Evie91

Visit site
I’ve got one. It’s fab. Not used it for soaking hay. Have horse on small pen rest and has been fab for giving hay in the pen. Nowhere to hang a net. Easy to fill and move. Horse was initially worried about it but soon got over herself when’s she realised it contained food!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I really want one but can't this month (need new tyres :( ). I have a couple of large planters I use for soaking hay but I like look of the portability of the hay cube.

although not much cheaper and less portable-but probably useful if you have a lot to soak is one of these-you can have a bung put it for no extra cost. I have a couple of their duck ponds and they're a good company and a good product.

http://www.qps-pets.co.uk/2011/08/13/hay-soaker-trough/

Evie91

Visit site
Worth keeping your eye on the fb page. Occasionally sell off seconds. Mine is a second as the colour is not true - has a few flecks of different colour plastic. I wasn’t worried about what colour the thing is as long as it works.
I spoke to the company owner/designer she came up with the idea whilst at uni and is really trying to make a go of the business. I like to support small business wherever possible so would encourage anyone considering to buy one :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yup I have one and if I ever have any spare cash I'll buy another. I don't currently need to soak my hay but I have done for several years. The haycube takes all the hassle out of it, I fill it with the hose outside and let it drain somewhere convenient, tip up fully for 5 mins and then it's ready to go. No mess, no drips. I'm using it just as a feeder at the moment, Salty puts her feet in haynets but would pull her hay through her bed if I just put it on the floor.

holeymoley

Visit site
Brilliant thank you guys! It looks like I'll need to try and scrape some cash together for one.

Is it a tap at the back? The ones on their page it's a little screw plug thing.

I seen they're selling seconds today but I don't have the money until next week :(

MoC- that looks like a good idea too, a friend who had her own 3 stables used something similar for soaking hay and it had a wee tap at the side tondrain

Northern Hare

Visit site
I've got one gathering dust - we're in the NE.

They are very good, but there is a lip around the top of the Haycube, and my horse (16.1hh TB x WB) decided that a good game was to wait till he'd finished his hay, and then somehow get both front feet / legs into the Haycube - and then see if he can get his feet back out.

He hadn't reckoned on the lip though which meant that he couldn't get his feet / legs back out and his feet got caught.

He did this overnight one night and we reckon he'd been standing like that for several hours patiently waiting to be rescued....

I was trying to work out a way to stop him doing this. I don't know if this is a common problem - I'd be grateful if anyone had any suggestions on how to prevent this!

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've got one gathering dust - we're in the NE.

They are very good, but there is a lip around the top of the Haycube, and my horse (16.1hh TB x WB) decided that a good game was to wait till he'd finished his hay, and then somehow get both front feet / legs into the Haycube - and then see if he can get his feet back out.

He hadn't reckoned on the lip though which meant that he couldn't get his feet / legs back out and his feet got caught.

He did this overnight one night and we reckon he'd been standing like that for several hours patiently waiting to be rescued....

I was trying to work out a way to stop him doing this. I don't know if this is a common problem - I'd be grateful if anyone had any suggestions on how to prevent this!

Blimey! Good job he stood still! Do you have the wall bracket in place? I don't but I'm not sure in a situation like this if being fixed would make it worse or better!
I do think they could be smoother/more moulded in design maybe as it would also make cleaning easy.

I got one of mine off EBay cheaper. It was direct from the company (under a different name) I guess it was a second but no difference to my other one.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't use the wall bracket. I did put it in the first stable I used the haycube in but Millie always took the haycube off the bracket anyway so I decided it was pointless.
Millie is a climber, she climbs into most things but she only got into her haycube once that I know of... she may have been in it more times but she must have managed to get out again! :D Before the haycube she trapped herself in a sawn-off barrel that I used to soak her hay in, her water bucket, a big pallet-style box etc... fortunately when she knows she's stuck she just waits to be rescued :rolleyes3:

Northern Hare

Visit site
Blimey! Good job he stood still! Do you have the wall bracket in place? I don't but I'm not sure in a situation like this if being fixed would make it worse or better!
I do think they could be smoother/more moulded in design maybe as it would also make cleaning easy.

I got one of mine off EBay cheaper. It was direct from the company (under a different name) I guess it was a second but no difference to my other one.

Thanks for your reply!

We weren't using the wall bracket - I used it when I first bought the Haycube but then we moved to a new yard and the walls of his stable are made up of metal partitions as it's an inside stable in what used to be a milking parlour / barn.

Tbh, I don't think it would have made any difference because where the Haycube was placed at the front of his stable, he can stand with his head and neck over the partition anyway, so he'd still have been able to get his front feet/legs into it....

Honestly, horses sometimes need to be saved from themselves, don't they??!!

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Bought one a few weeks ago and love it. No more wet backs lugging wet haynets around. Horse does move it around a bit so we must put the bar in place. So much quicker than stuffing a haynet as you can just break off large bits of hay (we use large square bales) and "fold" the hay into the cube. We feed ad lib and there is plenty of room in the cube.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Dammit, I've succumbed and ordered two :D.

I paid full price as I wasn't too sure about the little air holes in the current offering of seconds, but I'd have jumped at ones with wonky colours like Evie91 got.

I now steam my hay, and I wanted something to pack the freshly steamed hay in to keep it moist. I currently put it loose on the stable floor and they do like to kick it about and into the bedding, wasteful creatures. Fingers crossed that neither mare is inclined to climb into their haycubes, they don't seem to be that way inclined (famous last words).

LaurenBay

Visit site
Dammit, I've succumbed and ordered two :D.

I paid full price as I wasn't too sure about the little air holes in the current offering of seconds, but I'd have jumped at ones with wonky colours like Evie91 got.

I now steam my hay, and I wanted something to pack the freshly steamed hay in to keep it moist. I currently put it loose on the stable floor and they do like to kick it about and into the bedding, wasteful creatures. Fingers crossed that neither mare is inclined to climb into their haycubes, they don't seem to be that way inclined (famous last words).

You will love them!!

I didn't bother fixing my cube to the wall as my mare never played with it or moved it around.

Chuckieee

Visit site
Is there a way of fixing a hose to the hole at the back as I don't want to empty the water all over the yard.

Also doesn't the horse just pull its hay over its bed?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Is there a way of fixing a hose to the hole at the back as I don't want to empty the water all over the yard.

Also doesn't the horse just pull its hay over its bed?

I wheeled mine over to the drain outside and filled it with the hose. Then drained it there. No mess! I was especially cautious in winter months that I didn't drain it where people would walk incase it froze over.

My Horse didn't, there was a lip that went around the cube which meant not too much could be pulled out at once.

holeymoley

Visit site
I just bought the last one that was a seconds. I'm sure it will be fine with the little bubbles, it says it can take about 7kg of a hay and I won't be filling it with that much so they shouldn't affect me. Can't wait for it to come!

holeymoley

Visit site
How long did it take for yours to be delivered? Have asked but they don't seem to prompt in getting back to me...

Horsekaren

Visit site
I love my Haycube, one of the best things i own... and it was a bargain at £50.00 second hand :D makes soaking hay soooooo much easier!

Fjord

Visit site
Is there any way to slow down the eating of hay with the Haycube? My mare is greedy and has to have a small holed hay net otherwise she will eat her hay in five seconds flat. I'd love the hay cube but am worried she'd finish her hay too quickly.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Is there any way to slow down the eating of hay with the Haycube? My mare is greedy and has to have a small holed hay net otherwise she will eat her hay in five seconds flat. I'd love the hay cube but am worried she'd finish her hay too quickly.

You can put a net in the cube. If you put a tie ring low down on your stable wall, put the net in and then pull the string through the drainage hole and tie to the ring so Horse can't pull it out.