Headshakers/British Dressage Good News!

mtj

Visit site
Saw this on the BD forum and thought it was too good to be true, so I emailed Paul Graham at BD.

Head shakers that are certified by a vet as needing to wear a face mask ie equilibrium riding mask, can receive dispensation to compete under BD rules wearing the mask. Promise this isn't a windup.

The veterinary certificate and covering letter needs to be sent to British Dressage for the dispensation to be issued.

Erm, looks like I don't have anymore excuses not to be out competing.....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I saw this too, brilliant news.

How do you go about getting the vet certification? I've never had my horse 'investigated' as her symptoms were eliminated with the face net, and it only started with her after getting stung up her nostril so there seemed an obvious cause.

Delta99

Visit site
Errrrr.... this has been the case for years?! ( I sold my headshaker 5 years ago and he had been competing BD with a dispensation for at least 3 years...)

I believe you get the same with BE and BSJA..? :D

mtj

Visit site
I knew they could wear a nose net and ear cover, but the rule book states that nothing is allowed to cover the eyes and just accepted that we were snookered.

Anyway, this is what I received from BD:
"Vet certificate from your vet stating that for vet reason, that the horse is prescribed to wear a full face mask"

My vets are happy with this and issuing the certificate.

Discussed this with a List 1 judge yesterday, and she strongly advised to carry the dispensation in your jacket pocket at competitions. Judge is involved in judge training and said judges would not expect to see the mask in the ring and would probably eliminate unless they are made aware of the dispensation. Therefore when you enter the ring, tell the judge when you go to the car. I'm also planning to send a copy with all my entries.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Errrrr.... this has been the case for years?! ( I sold my headshaker 5 years ago and he had been competing BD with a dispensation for at least 3 years...)

I believe you get the same with BE and BSJA..? :D

Nose nets have been allowed for a long time, yes, but this decision relates to face masks that cover the eyes, such as this:
http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/fly_protection/net_reliefreg_riding_mask/

& thanks for the additional info mtj, I will mention this next time I speak to my vets and agree it's prob wise to keep a copy on you at all times;)

mtj

Visit site
Just an update to say dispensation for my horse to compete wearing a full face net has been issued today. The dispensation is valid for a year.