Healthy chews?

melbiswas

Visit site
I have just seen a horrible video showing how rawhide dog chews are made. Another forum has been slating PC Dentastix ( I think these may be causing softer poos and anal gland issues ).
What do folks recommend as healthy alternatives and are there other products sold widely to avoid?

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I found out about the raw hide chews years ago (10 approx)and the chemicals used are not good for dogs and I was giving my dog these chews at the time. He's not had one since, it was then I also swapped to raw meat and bones, he has a bone everyday and his teeth are still nice and white. The dentastix I also heard years ago are full of sugar so not as good as you think they are.
My dog's have bones everyday which keeps their poo firm and no problems with anal glands.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
The best chews are natural ones, aka proper uncooked bones! Go to the butcher and ask for a bone, they give them out free mostly :) also, buy a dehydrator and you can stick any meat product in it and dry it out to make your own chews.

Sarah_K

Visit site
Mine has bull pizzle, antlers and dried tripe sticks. I know some people don't like antlers as there's the potential for wearing teeth down/breaking teeth but it's the same risk as bones I guess. He's currently chomping on a pizzle. :)

ETA: all available at Pets at Home although I get the pizzle from a country store as it's a third of the price.

Country_gal

Visit site
Mine had cow trachea for the first time this Morning! Lasted them ages and tired them right out!!! They also like things like pigs ears, chicken feet etc

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My lot have pig ears, pig trotters (raw), lamb bones, pizzles (dried) Dogsdiner, which is Durham Animal Feeds, do good treats. I like their Whimzees, the crocodile shapes etc. No rubbish in them as far as I can tell.

Zooplus is good for treats like trachea.

Destario

Visit site
Carrots, broccoli stems, fish4dogs do good crunchy sticks that I buy at crufts every year. He also gets pigs ears from the butcher :)

pippixox

Visit site
i still think it is mad pet shops even sell raw hide- so many owners though sadly have not got a clue what is is made from.
my old boy loved pigs ears. he also enjoyed raw bones. we bough the antler type bones but he was not as interested. new dog likes them though.
tracheas look gross but they love them!

Moobli

Visit site
I detest rawhide and haven't fed it for years. Mine get bulls pizzle, raw bones (non weight bearing), fish sticks, lamb/beef scalp, tup horn.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
What is raw hide made from?!

I feed dentastix, his teeth are great (vets always comment) and he gets fed otherwise on wainwright's biscuits and trays. I never have problems with his anal glands or loose poos.

I did used to feed bones from the butchers, but I never found any that didn't give him the runs! Think the marrow doesn't agree with him.

maisie06

Visit site
i still think it is mad pet shops even sell raw hide- so many owners though sadly have not got a clue what is is made from.
my old boy loved pigs ears. he also enjoyed raw bones. we bough the antler type bones but he was not as interested. new dog likes them though.

Where I work we have stopped selling rawhide and have been educating owners on how they are made. Some are shocked! We now stock more and more natural stuff such as beef ears, trachea, raw meaty bones air dried meat and fish etc...We have also stopped selling Bakers dog food because of how bad it is (if I had my way I'd ditch Royal canin too!!!) Dentastix are utter rubbish too....total marketing magic for Pedigree rubbish for dogs teeth
!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Rawhide is basically shoe leather.

Maisie, brilliant! I'm sick of telling Pets at Home how ruddy awful Bakers and the like are and how they should stop selling such rubbish.

Mister Ted

Visit site
I buy antler horn online.They come in small to larger sizes.They dont splinter or smell and my terrier loves getting to the marrow.Its the best I have and keeps teeth vey clean.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I buy meaty beef bones (ideal for stock) from our local supermarket. They also get raw chicken wings as a treat. Worth a look for you.

The dogs both got really big rawhide bones for a Christmas present from someone. Accepted graciously, but straight in the bin.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i never feed rawhide, my friends dog got some stuck in his throat and nearly died so it put me off even before i knew how much chemicals were used. i give mine antlers and pigs ears and any other dried meat treats i can find...

maisie06

Visit site

We've stopped selling it at work, awful stuff, we explain why when people ask for it, most people are happy to but natural treats once they hear how rawhide is made, we've had the odd one or two have a moan, but the animal's health is our priority!! My lad gets Pressed tripe bones, Beef tendons, Pizzles, Ostrich tendons - these are amazing, work like dental floss!! raw bones, cow hooves which I fill with something like forthglade and then freeze, and any type of dehydrated 100% meat chews...Dentastix are the work of the devil!!

tda

Visit site
I tend to buy chicken feet , however there is always a rabbit's head somewhere along a walk 🤔, dirty fluffy ears,and a lot of crunching 😁