Healthy chews?

Landcruiser

Visit site
I work at a vet and it's not unusual for dogs to be brought in with serious digestive issues and for x rays to show up a lot of splintered bone fragments clogging up the system. These can puncture the intestines, which can be catastrophic. I've seen a vet pulling out masses of bone from a dog's back end which had gone all the way through but blocked up the rectum completely. It wasn't pretty. I've also seen vets hunting through the intestines and bringing out lots of splinters. For this reason, I'd never feed bones to my own dogs any more (though I used to).

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Mine seem to get digestive upset with anything and everything so I rarely given them even natural chews. They have wet food in kongs to exercise their chewing urges and nylabone or similar for a longer chew.

twiggy2

Visit site
Yesterday it was pheasant necks whilst I was skinning and gutting them.
Today it has been chewy meals, one dog had a pheasant, two had half a rabbit each and the puppy had a chunk of venison.
Tomorrow the 3 kennel dogs and puppy will share a hare, the next day and for a while it will be venison.
I feed whole so there are lots of chewy bits, obviously the deer is not fed whole but they will be given bones, small ones to eat and large ones to chew on.
The house dogs had their normal food.
Carrots are a favourite for chews here,my house dog is allergic to meat so chewy options are very limited for her.