Heartbreaking news

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Please be reassured ycbm that I'm not the type of person to keep my animals alive if they are suffering. I've sadly had to put many a chick to sleep with my own hands if they hatched poorly or got squashed on their first night by the others, or when I didn't allow the vets to wake my cat up when he underwent an operation for a tumour that he was not going to recover well from. I would never let Rupert suffer. Although he can not eat hay he is thriving on the Simple system feeds and honestly has never looked better. Just last week he was galloping round the field having a buck and getting all playful. The vet is happy with him and he is improving, I was prepared to say goodbye today but as long as he improves I'll do all I can for him.

Than you Sahara. I hope he continues his great progress and continues to thrive in your undoubted care.

*Sahara

Visit site
Update: He's still perky today but hasn't drunk much water, I just hope he's not going to go the other way and colic now, he has stopped scouring now and has done a small poo. I've made his food extra sloppy again to keep him hydrated and given him a choice between apple flavoured water and plain. A few rumbles in his stomach tonight but nothing like it has been, just hope he'll have drunk something in the morning.

On the Hoof

Visit site
How about getting a small likit type stuff in a tub or something sticky and strong flavoured he might like..and get him to have a few licks, it might encourage him to drink afterwards? Have you got some electrolytes?

Cobbytype

Visit site
Update: He's still perky today but hasn't drunk much water, I just hope he's not going to go the other way and colic now, he has stopped scouring now and has done a small poo. I've made his food extra sloppy again to keep him hydrated and given him a choice between apple flavoured water and plain. A few rumbles in his stomach tonight but nothing like it has been, just hope he'll have drunk something in the morning.

Glad to hear there's general improvement. Try offering luke warm water as the ice cold water may chill his tum.

*Sahara

Visit site
How about getting a small likit type stuff in a tub or something sticky and strong flavoured he might like..and get him to have a few licks, it might encourage him to drink afterwards? Have you got some electrolytes?

Haven't got any electrolyte supplements or a salt lick but have ordered some likits with his Psyllium yesterday.

touchstone

Visit site
So pleased to hear he's improving, and perky is good! Horse Quencher is supposed to be good for encouraging them to drink, also sugar beet water.

Lets hope he goes from strength to strength bless him.

crabbymare

Visit site
all the above and carrots apples and pears are good to help rehydrate as they hold a fair bit of water without the horse having to drink

be positive

Visit site
I second sugarbeet water.

It was the main thing mine took on board when he was unable to drink normally, I had 3 or 4 buckets of different slop in at all times, grassnuts were also popular, he was not interested in apple juice but did play with the water if I cut a few pieces of apple and put them in it.

I would avoid anything sugary like lickits as they may make him less inclined to eat or drink, sugary substances can give a boost and put them off more bland food causing other issues if you are not careful, when you are desperate you want to try anything but keep it as simple as you can while he is still at this stage, give him options but not too many unhealthy ones, hope he continues to pick up.

*Sahara

Visit site
Update: Not so good today, he's not as perky as before and is still not drinking. I'm now making his mash very sloppy in hopes to keep him hydrated, he's also not pooed once today and had the jitters for a while but it has subsided for now :( We are discussing what the next move will be tonight depending on what he's like in the morning...

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am sorry to hear his not been so good today it's so difficult when they just won't do something so simple but yet so vital, a friend is also having a similar issue with a 28 year old pony that has had his diastema sorted out last week pony has just started to pick at hay but hardly drank yesterday, she has been boosting him with a vit and min supplement from the vet the last few days and it did really seem to get him interested in food again but water intake has reduced.

so very frustrating I hope his better in the morning so you don't have to make a very hard decision x

*Sahara

Visit site
Haven't had time to update with so many things going on but it's GOOD news, he's hydrated, pooing, not shaking and much more like his old self, now he's just fed up with me keeping him on the yard because the field is too wet :D Thank you everyone for the advice and wishes, I'm so so pleased, it now seems like it was an upset stomach after all. From now on I will be giving my horses Psyllium in the future to safe guard against any sand colic though. :smile3:

*Sahara

Visit site
0561fa329662bbc1afbd27a8cbf72178.jpg

431444d69a35d3ddaae877999219def4.jpg

Image in the field was taken summer 2015, he'd been on SS feeds for 6 months and had done a 180 turn from a skeleton to a fab, fat Shetland.

Image on the yard was taken autumn last year, he likes to nod when I brush him :D

Leo Walker

Visit site
I never say things like this but I am genuinely starting to believe that cobsarefun is just here stirring and getting attention that she appears to be lacking elsewhere.

Shady

Visit site
Am sure OP appreciates your post, but the last post above yours was 8 months ago in January, why bounce an old thread? the horse may no longer even be here, (tho I hope he is!)

How odd :confused3:

Hi FF :)
Rupert was ok in July so i'm hoping he still is , putting on weight and being treated as a cushings pony? Sahara is really lovely to have a natter with by pm's, great compassion for her animals so i hope she doesn't get upset if this thread was resurrected thoughtlessly, i'm hoping it was an honest mistake

touchstone

Visit site
I think sahara is friends with cobsarefab going by her profile, so I suspect it was a genuine mistake. I'm delighted to hear that Rupert has been doing well though, such a cute pony!