Heartbreaking!

saskiahorsey

Visit site
He is thank you and we are persuing this civilly also her insurance (saga) have been brilliant but im gobsmacked that the police seem to just dismiss the fact that she drove off after comitting an offence ... If it had been a young person i think the outcome would have been very different ... Police at scene even said i think they must have been on mobile or distracted to have hit you ... Yet they were happy to dismiss as she was old and very sorry !!!
So basically then old people can just drive about causing carnage, but that's fine because they are old??!! That is ridiculous, I doubt if I told the police I had caused a crash/killed someone/damaged their car but drove off because I was startled & panicked I would get much sympathy. This country is a total joke. Saskiahorsey, hope your son is ok..

ManBearPig

Visit site
So sad that what should have been a solomn but beautiful celebration of someone's life ended in such senseless carnage. My thoughts go to the family and friends of the deceased along with the owner of the business/horses, and I hope that the driver of the hearse has a speedy and full recovery.
I hope the driver is hit with everything the law can throw at them, but sadly they probably won't be... From the sounds of it (ex-cop, elderly etc) they will get a slap on the wrist at best. If the sun is in your eyes, why overtake at all, let alone a funeral procession at enough speed to fatally injure a large carriage horse?! Shaking my damn head.

Knockadoon

Visit site
I'm not trying to defend this woman but I have to disagree with those calling to name and shame. I think this is dangerous. People seem to lose the head and issue death threats etc and a bit of a mob mentality takes over ie death threats, harassing family members on social media etc. It's happened in the past. Let the courts deal with it properly and not trial by social media.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Do we know the full story yet? did this lady pass out at the wheel or have a TIA. I think the actual cause should be sort first, as if it were just bad driving or lack of concentration then she can be punished.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Do we know the full story yet? did this lady pass out at the wheel or have a TIA. I think the actual cause should be sort first, as if it were just bad driving or lack of concentration then she can be punished.

The owner of the horses said on facebook that her explaination was that "the sun was in her eyes"

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'm not trying to defend this woman but I have to disagree with those calling to name and shame. I think this is dangerous. People seem to lose the head and issue death threats etc and a bit of a mob mentality takes over ie death threats, harassing family members on social media etc. It's happened in the past. Let the courts deal with it properly and not trial by social media.

This. Whats the point in naming her? I dont think it matters what her name is, I'm sure the courts will deal with her appropriately. Not taking blame away from her, but I personally think its a joke that some older people are allowed to drive in the first place, I remember my OH's grandmother driving when she was 80 and she should no way have been on the road as she was often getting lost in her own area and indicating round corners etc. was just an accident waiting to happen. The DVLA should do far more regular checks on older people IMO to avoid stuff like this awful result.

I dont believe she should be treated differently due to her age. I always think of one of my family members who was seriously ill in hospital, another patient got out of his bed during the night and punched him. Apparently the police said no charges were to be made because the man had "mental issues". I'm sorry, but in that case at what point do they get dealt with, how serious a crime does it need to be?!

Having seen the pictures, I still dont actually see what happened - did she pull in quickly and the horse went into the back of her?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
This. Whats the point in naming her? I dont think it matters what her name is, I'm sure the courts will deal with her appropriately. Not taking blame away from her, but I personally think its a joke that some older people are allowed to drive in the first place, I remember my OH's grandmother driving when she was 80 and she should no way have been on the road as she was often getting lost in her own area and indicating round corners etc. was just an accident waiting to happen. The DVLA should do far more regular checks on older people IMO to avoid stuff like this awful result.

I dont believe she should be treated differently due to her age. I always think of one of my family members who was seriously ill in hospital, another patient got out of his bed during the night and punched him. Apparently the police said no charges were to be made because the man had "mental issues". I'm sorry, but in that case at what point do they get dealt with, how serious a crime does it need to be?!

Having seen the pictures, I still dont actually see what happened - did she pull in quickly and the horse went into the back of her?

From what I read it sounds as if she pulled in far too quickly, almost between the hearse and the horses, the horse on the outside was catapulted over the nearside horse, so she probably hit it from behind and at a fair speed, whatever age she is she should not have been overtaking a long line of vehicles on a single lane road, that is dangerous driving even if the consequences had not been so devastating.

Orca

Visit site

I'd actually be hesitant to demand that older drivers be denied their autonomy in making that decision. Before I saw part of a programme recently, I might have thought differently but apparently, older drivers are still one of the safest driver groups. Not allowing people to drive until past their twenties would probably reduce more accidents on the whole.

What definitely does need to change, is the way horses are treated on the roads. I also know of a horse and rider hit at 40mph, because the driver allegedly had ' the sun in their eyes'. As others have said, that is no excuse. Maybe the fact this happened during the week when a horse and road safety petition was submitted to Parliament, will help the relevant people sit up and take notice of that petition.

rascal

Visit site
He is thank you and we are persuing this civilly also her insurance (saga) have been brilliant but im gobsmacked that the police seem to just dismiss the fact that she drove off after comitting an offence ... If it had been a young person i think the outcome would have been very different ... Police at scene even said i think they must have been on mobile or distracted to have hit you ... Yet they were happy to dismiss as she was old and very sorry !!!

So if we are old and sorry we can drive any way we like????????? Disgusting.
Someone said the sun was in her eyes, that's what sunglasses are for !
What a sad waste of a horse doing an honest job.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Sadly, no amount of good road positioning, visibility, indicating, lights or warning will stop people from overtaking slow vehicles turning right. Some people have an extreme sense of entitlement behind the wheel, and next to no judgement.
The carriage driver didn't stand a chance; you'd think 20 cars behind would be enough protection.

I get about a lot of the time on a 125cc Vespa. I love it, but I live in fear of having to turn right. People will overtake me even when I'm positioned to turn with my indicator on. I regularly do longer detours to avoid having to do that, as some drivers are just absolute arses! Then we have the drivers who overtake me when I'm doing the speed limit and its blatantly unsafe. I have no doubt that faced with another car coming head on that they will plow into me!

Apparently she is an ex-police woman, therefore the cynic in me thinks that actually she will walk away scot free. So far "no arrests have been made" Err sorry I'm pretty sure if I had gone steaming past a line of 20 vehicles, injured a person badly & killed a horse I would have been arrested. I am so angry & upset about this, what the hell was she thinking? Stupid ridiculous woman, hopefully her name will surface soon & she will get whats coming. For those asking about loss of income for the carriage master, there is a crowd funding page on FB.

The Crowd funding page wasnt set up by him, nor does he want any part in it! Hes posted on Facebook to say so, and its been shared a lot so hopefully no one will donate!

muckypony

Visit site
Not allowing people to drive until past their twenties would probably reduce more accidents on the whole.

That's rubbish, sorry... I was a far better driver at 17 than the majority of people who I come across as inconsiderate drivers, either riding or driving, most of the, are middle-aged! It has nothing to do with age but attitude. I had a serious near miss today involving a purposely rude and impatient a**hole today, a middle aged man driving his big bmw 4x4. It's the attitude of "I'm in my car so I don't care for anyone else" that causes these kind of accidents.

To say that the sun was in her eyes is utterly ridiculous. I just want to scream at her. I seriously hope she is banned as a minimum. When will these events start being punished properly? Does the rider have to be killed too!?

Orca

Visit site
That's rubbish, sorry...

No need to apologise. I'd be happy to refer to the program which stated it, if I knew what it was :). I've been hit by two middle aged twits (one in a quite devastating crash) and the reaction of both was straight to self preservation (akin to 'the sun was in my eyes'). The youngster who hit me could barely stutter out a 'S***! I'm so sorry!', such was his shock and upset. At least he had the decency to show remorse - and that meant a lot.

The fact this older woman has apparently trotted out a banal excuse is vile but the real issue is that many drivers across all groups are not horse aware. I'm not sure who would have received the horse and road safety petition submitted to parliament this week but I'd like to lobby whoever it was in light of this crash.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I was witness to an accident two weeks ago,
The car at fault drove straight across the A1 hitting a car travelling up the far carriage way the driver of that car had no chance to avoid him.
The driver of that car was a 94 year old man and the police have taken his licence and took it very seriously .

As for this awful accident it does look like the driver turned in too soon hitting the offside horse .
Perhaps it happened at a right turn Turning right in a carriage is not fun .
Of course my horse was dripping in hi viz when I was out and about but you can't really have a high viz horse drawn hearse .
Or perhaps they where going straight and the driver pulled in too soon because she had misjudged how much space she had .
Poor horse and his poor pair .

popsdosh

Visit site
This is an awful accident . The truth will come out in the end.

Everybody has to take care and having driven in the past it is not uncommon for people to overtake horse drawn vehicles and cut in for whatever reason.

When I say everybody I mean the horse drawn vehicles as well about 3 weeks ago I was behind a horse drawn hearse on a very busy dual carriageway when the driver did a u turn at a junction where they are very clearly marked as prohibited! I was somewhat surprised.

I only mention this as everybody has to take care and just like cyclist who ignore red lights an accident will occur one day. I am in no way suggesting anything like this caused this accident and have nothing but sympathy for everybody involved

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's rubbish, sorry... I was a far better driver at 17 than the majority of people who I come across as inconsiderate drivers, either riding or driving, most of the, are middle-aged! It has nothing to do with age but attitude. I had a serious near miss today involving a purposely rude and impatient a**hole today, a middle aged man driving his big bmw 4x4. It's the attitude of "I'm in my car so I don't care for anyone else" that causes these kind of accidents.

To say that the sun was in her eyes is utterly ridiculous. I just want to scream at her. I seriously hope she is banned as a minimum. When will these events start being punished properly? Does the rider have to be killed too!?

I afraid the accident statistics show the opposite the most dangerous drivers are the young that's why their insurance is so expensive .

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I afraid the accident statistics show the opposite the most dangerous drivers are the young that's why their insurance is so expensive .

Agreed! Statistically younger drivers are far more likely to drive recklessly and have an accident than other age groups.
Personally I think 17 is far too young to be in charge of such a potentially dangerous machine as a car. I would raise it to at least 20 and put a limit on engine size for young drivers. You see so many boy racers driving ridiculously powerful cars and no idea how to handle them.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Agreed! Statistically younger drivers are far more likely to drive recklessly and have an accident than other age groups.
Personally I think 17 is far too young to be in charge of such a potentially dangerous machine as a car. I would raise it to at least 20 and put a limit on engine size for young drivers. You see so many boy racers driving ridiculously powerful cars and no idea how to handle them.

I would agree that engine size should be limited for at least 5 years post-test but at 17 and 9 months I was driving perfectly safely. 30 odd years later I have had three accidents, twice people turned out of side roads without stopping and hit me, and the latest, a lorry drifted out of his lane and collided with me (then drove off because he didn't have a clue). The biggest problem is young men who have shoe sizes and egos that are bigger than their brain cell and like to show off. Their stupid parents quite often buy a car for them, instead of making them save up and really value their purchase, then wonder why they have flipped it 2 months later. My nephew told us that out of his college course friends, at 18 he was the only one to have not had an accident yet. These idiots grow up, carry on driving just how they like and then move on to a sports coupe or even better a nice big 4x4 and they think that as they have spent the price of a house on a metal box with a wheel at each corner, they are ENTITLED to more of the road than anyone else and to go about just how they like. Every time I took my parents old banger out on the road it was with my father's dire warning of what would happen to me if I got so much as a scratch on it.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I would agree that engine size should be limited for at least 5 years post-test but at 17 and 9 months I was driving perfectly safely. 30 odd years later I have had three accidents, twice people turned out of side roads without stopping and hit me, and the latest, a lorry drifted out of his lane and collided with me (then drove off because he didn't have a clue). The biggest problem is young men who have shoe sizes and egos that are bigger than their brain cell and like to show off. Their stupid parents quite often buy a car for them, instead of making them save up and really value their purchase, then wonder why they have flipped it 2 months later. My nephew told us that out of his college course friends, at 18 he was the only one to have not had an accident yet. These idiots grow up, carry on driving just how they like and then move on to a sports coupe or even better a nice big 4x4 and they think that as they have spent the price of a house on a metal box with a wheel at each corner, they are ENTITLED to more of the road than anyone else and to go about just how they like. Every time I took my parents old banger out on the road it was with my father's dire warning of what would happen to me if I got so much as a scratch on it.

I also passed at 18 and was a sensible driver but sadly you can not argue with statistics and it would seem we are the exception rather than the norm. I really think in general 17 -19 is too young to be in charge of such a dangerous machine as a car. Its sad for those who do drive sensibly but statistics speak for themselves

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Apparently someone has now outed the lady's name and South Wales Police have now called for all petitions regarding this incident to be removed in case the drivers details are disclosed in the comments. :mad: a 55000 signature strong petition calling for drivers to pass riders wide and slow has now been lost!

Goldenstar

Visit site

I am quiet driver cautious even ,you know what I have always had a 4x4 I have one now that you delightfully describe as having cost the same as house .
It does not make me feel more entitled than anyone else to be on the road but of course my car is large it does take up more space that's just a physical fact .

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Apparently someone has now outed the lady's name and South Wales Police have now called for all petitions regarding this incident to be removed in case the drivers details are disclosed in the comments. :mad: a 55000 signature strong petition calling for drivers to pass riders wide and slow has now been lost!

I know. It's terrible. I just received the email this morning. Ridiculous!

rowan666

Visit site

What! OMG utterly ridiculous! 😠

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Agree with you, the young guys in particular think they are invincible and take risk, I know only a tv show and not actual total numbers. In the motorway cops and police interceptors and a livery who is a traffic cop. It does seem primarily the young that takes the risk and cause many accidents. Particularly in their first year if they have never driven much at night or icy conditions or snow.

I find in all my years of driving

• Some woman buy 4x4 and cannot drive them where others are confident and drive very well = the same on the men side.
  • Older People 75+ have slower reactions so can get into trouble
  • Then there are the young and reckless, who I think ought to attend a video night where they see results of bad driving, in short a reality check.
  • Business men in their company cars who care about no but themselves in their little metal
    cacoon

I really like scared straight where it shocks youngsters into the real life in jail, and 85% change completely according to the parents and the updates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLjLPoQYMc With some idiots the only way to show them what speeding / donuts/ etc can really do is to show them actual footage at the discrepancy and improvement from the parents

Last edited:

Orca

Visit site

That petition was submitted least week - and has been successful!

"28 Feb 2016 — up date, Christine and I have now had a meeting with the transport minister and he has promised a national campaign regarding horses and safety on the roads, I hope you all agree this is good news ,also that he will also confirm that our evidence taken by our head cameras WILL be taken and ACTED up on !! great news for the beginning please join PASS WIDE AND SLOW group to follow and support..."

��

fatpiggy

Visit site
I am quiet driver cautious even ,you know what I have always had a 4x4 I have one now that you delightfully describe as having cost the same as house .
It does not make me feel more entitled than anyone else to be on the road but of course my car is large it does take up more space that's just a physical fact .

You want to come and see some of the ones around my way then. I'm talking Porsche, BMW, Lexus drivers, whose vehicle would no more have a tow bar fitted, than I would sprout wings. Generally they are driven by men (although I did have the company of a Range Rover whose female driver never put her mobile down once in over 2 miles) who think the Highway Code is for sissies. One of my favourite moments ever though was passing one which was spinning its wheels in the snow and going nowhere fast, while I trundled past in my 1 litre Yaris.

merlinsquest

Visit site

What a strange coincidence considering the driver is allegedly an ex policewoman married to a police sergeant....