Heather Moffett seatbone saddle saver

11bluewolf

Visit site
Obviously it is quite expensive so was just wondering if they are worth the money or if there are any cheaper alternatives?

I’m finding my wintec saddle really uncomfortable especially on longer hacks!

Thanks

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I bought one second hand for about 20 quid. Loved it. Comfy & really secure. Only sold as & got my own pony & my own kit & it made me feel a bit perched on a 12.2hh.

11bluewolf

Visit site
Thanks for your replies! Ive found a few second hand ones but I’m now torn between the HM seatbone saver and the Acavallo gel in seat saver- what do people prefer?

meleeka

Visit site
Thanks for your replies! Ive found a few second hand ones but I’m now torn between the HM seatbone saver and the Acavallo gel in seat saver- what do people prefer?

I have both. I prefer rbe Acavallo. It’s thinner although still as comfy. The HM one makes me feel like I’m perched on top, which isn’t great for a vet out rider!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have one that is nearly 20 years old and still seems to work even though the foam should have had it by now. Currently being used by my mum. I have a newer one that is probably 15 years old that will be coming on hols with me this year. Don’t find I feel perched when the foam has warmed and combined with full seat breeches has saved me a few times.

Never tried the acavallo one though.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I loved mine, I didn't find that it made me 'perch' on the saddle. I used it for extra stickability when I was riding the late chestnut git - it reduced my falls to about once a year from, err, rather more than that ;).

I think that some have reported that the acavallos are almost too sticky, I wouldn't like that.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think that some have reported that the acavallos are almost too sticky, I wouldn't like that.

if you combine the gel out with silicone seat breeches you can't get off the damn horse even when you want to :D :D
They get less sticky if you let them get a little dusty :) I prefer the acavallo on balance.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have ridden in HM and an Acavallo gel out. The HM creased and became hard after a few long wet days. It also filled the saddle more and made me feel further from the horse. The gel out helps my stickability which has weakened as I get older. I have ridden wearing ordinary jods so can’t comment on suede or silicone ones.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've got a HM seat saver in the tackroom: HATE the damn thing with a vengeance! Have NEVER sat on something which was so uncomfy. Rubbed my "lady bits" in all the wrong places, like sitting on sandpaper :( Bleddi thing! To say it was a PITA is an understatement.

I always wondered why it was always easy to buy one of 'em on e-bay; now I know!

If anyone wants it please feel free to PM me........... ;)

henmother

Visit site
Got the hm seat saver but felt like I was floating above the saddle , was far too thick for me , hated it .Had an acavello seat saver on the horse I was riding when it went up and over on me , kept me well in the saddle alright , too well unfortunately. Would never ride with one again . I ride with a good old fashioned sheepskin le mieux seat saver . It's comfortable enough to keep me in the saddle during pleasure rides, riding the bounds and out with the bloodhounds . It prevented sores appearing on my backside when I first got back on and felt like my seat bones were rubbing on paper thin skin. Have you tried a sheepskin , might be enough to do the job ? Think I picked mine up on eBay for around £20.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's really interesting reading other peoples' experiences. I generally cannot ride in a wintec due to ladybits effects (also suffer on a bike a fair bit too) but find that using the HM artificially lowers the pommel and makes them a bit better if I have to.
I've never really used them much on my own saddle, it's other peoples that cause me trouble!

Schollym

Visit site
Obviously it is quite expensive so was just wondering if they are worth the money or if there are any cheaper alternatives?

I’m finding my wintec saddle really uncomfortable especially on longer hacks!

Thanks

I bought a heather Moffat seat saver and anyone who has tried it has also bought one. I have had this one about 15 years ( my previous one was stolen with my saddle!)
They are expensive but so worth it, comfortable extremely hard wearing and make me feel more secure as add a bit of grip.

Floxie

Visit site
if you combine the gel out with silicone seat breeches you can't get off the damn horse even when you want to :D :D
They get less sticky if you let them get a little dusty :) I prefer the acavallo on balance.

Are they like those jelly bugs you used to throw at windows and watch them slime their way down? And you'd wash them with soap to make them sticky again (when they inevitably got covered in dust and carpet fluff?)

Cos I have a gel-out, and while it's lovely and squishy, it's maybe not as sticky as it once was (I still get flashbacks to the day I tried to dismount in suede seat breeches...). Just wondering if a bit of a wash would restore its slightly alarming sticky powers! :D

AFB

Visit site
Just sold my HM as changed saddles and no longer needed (old seat was v hard) - was really happy with it and didn't feel it was too bulky once you'd been on a few mins and it had warmed and moulded. Found it a pain to take on and off though as I only wanted it on for hacking, preferred schooling and jumping without it.

meleeka

Visit site
Are they like those jelly bugs you used to throw at windows and watch them slime their way down? And you'd wash them with soap to make them sticky again (when they inevitably got covered in dust and carpet fluff?)

Cos I have a gel-out, and while it's lovely and squishy, it's maybe not as sticky as it once was (I still get flashbacks to the day I tried to dismount in suede seat breeches...). Just wondering if a bit of a wash would restore its slightly alarming sticky powers! :D

That’s exactly what they are like. It says on the instructions to wash in water, but not sure If soap would be wise.

fourpawswhite

Visit site
Hello, been a lurker for years after injury, loss of nerve and general rubbishness. Currently have no horses and lots of dogs, but hoping for a child's pony one day soon..

OP I am 99 percent certain I have one you can have. I will check tonight and update (at work just now). If I do just PM me your address and I will send it to you next week.

smiggy

Visit site
I have had a hm one, ok but preferred the acavallo one. Now using a block the shock one, pricey but so comfortable and you sort of squish into it, so not perched like the hm one.