Help again please

FairyLights

Visit site
I've read through the thread again. I just think the horse is anxious to get out/come in, and there is rearing and then again there is rearing. By which I mean going up and maybe even bucking and bouncing through excitement,youthfulness or frustration and one the other hand,going very high with ears flattened and being aggressive. From the things you say about your horse I doubt its the latter. It seems the YO is being [naturally] very careful about her staff,hence the chiffney, but TBH a lot of yards nowadays dont like dealing with anything unless its half -dead due to insurance and elf n safely. You and your horse need time and chill time at that,he sounds a grand sort, I hope you can work it out.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think you sound as though you have a lovely horse who is just a bit traumatised by the fact he is being kept separate at the moment and trying to adjust to his new surroundings. If the dealer was trying to pull a fast one I doubt very much that she would have contacted you to see how you were getting on.

I think the suggestion of him being brought in first is good and also check that he has enough to eat whilst he is out, there is very little goodness in the grass at the moment so if he doesn't have any hay in the field he may simply be hungry and seeing the others being taken in is winding him up.

Yes I agree too.

The horse has only been there for three weeks, and still hasn't been able to attempt to find his niche in the herd yet, so will still be on edge. I bet most of these problems will die down when he is allowed out with others and led in and out with them.

It also sounds as though the yard, although impressive with it's worm counts (although I thought that this time of year did not always give a true reading on worm counts..), are perhaps not as experienced as you think. To shove a chiffney in from the start sounds like wallpapering over a crack rather than finding the issue. I have been dragged around many times by new/young horses, but never had to resort to a chiffney. Most horses rearing when being led are either excited to be going out, or protesting about coming in/leaving friends/being first or last. Once you've worked out what the reason is its easier to deal with. I would be leading him to and from the field non-stop until he learns that he has to walk calmly, not fool around. Most people who are injured by a horse on the leadrein have it too far away from them, and are at the prime kicking spot. It sounds as though the yard have either inexperienced staff dealing with him, or not enough time to deal with problems efficiently. I know it is a livery yard, not a schooling yard, but you are going to get some difficult horses. I'm also not sure what the point it of telling you while you're at work - I'd have just had a quiet word with you when you got to the yard unless the groom or horse were seriously hurt. They must know it will worry you and that you're already worried. Out of interest is it a big yard?

I personally wouldn't worry about finding a new NH instructor if your existing instructor is already helping you both on him and on the ground. They already know you well. Speak to them about your worries, tell them you're not sure if you've done the right thing and see what they say.

But, if you do decide to change horses, don't feel bad. This is your hobby at the end of the day - it should be fun. I wouldn't write it off just yet if you are feeling good riding it and being around it in the stable...

Hugs and best of luck to you.x

Ideal

Visit site
Thank you again everyone :)

The dealer is really nice and I have been thoroughly impressed with her . For those that don't know I tired lots of horses and just clicked when I rode Ben , my RI rode him too. We then went back the following week as I wanted to hack him out , and go on the roads.

I will calll her tomorrow, I think maybe I am putting way too much pressure on myself and being a bit dramatic. I am nervous , but not of handling him as he has been a star , with anything I have done.

I have 5 days off coming up , so I will go down lots , turn him out and bring him in so I can see how he is. Been researching Dually headcollars and NH . As I am very interested in NH .

I am also looking for another job asap , as my hours and shifts are bonkers . Night shifts are fine as I get to wake up at 2pm and have 4 hours with Ben till I go back to wk. day shifts like today 7-7pm are tough. But I have nearly finished will go straight to yard, see Ben give him a lovely long groom etc.

I will keep you posted and attempt to put a picture of us up later ,

x

Ideal

Visit site
Hi Horsesforever1 and HO-HO-HOney8 .

Thank you again for replies , I am finishing work shortly but will try and put some pictures on later or tomorrow. My friend from yard who is my RI said Ben is fine ( she just called me as she knew I was upset ) and thinks as soon as he is out with others it will improve. He has only reared on his first day being turned out , then today bringing him in. I am just doubting myself and my abilities and then working myself up intp a nervous wreck .

He has only bucked so far , whilst excited on the lunge . But has not bucked yet with me on him !!! I know in the school he is testing me , but I am working hard on my riding and want to put the effort in. That's why I appreciate all the advice. As I feel you can never know enough. Being a horse owner is very different to part loaning. I have wanted a horse since I was 5 and I want it to work out. I have waited long enough , 30 years !!
I am off now to give him a nice long groom and a cuddle ,

I will keep you posted , and Happy New Year :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Hi Horsesforever1 and HO-HO-HOney8 .

Thank you again for replies , I am finishing work shortly but will try and put some pictures on later or tomorrow. My friend from yard who is my RI said Ben is fine ( she just called me as she knew I was upset ) and thinks as soon as he is out with others it will improve. He has only reared on his first day being turned out , then today bringing him in. I am just doubting myself and my abilities and then working myself up intp a nervous wreck .

He has only bucked so far , whilst excited on the lunge . But has not bucked yet with me on him !!! I know in the school he is testing me , but I am working hard on my riding and want to put the effort in. That's why I appreciate all the advice. As I feel you can never know enough. Being a horse owner is very different to part loaning. I have wanted a horse since I was 5 and I want it to work out. I have waited long enough , 30 years !!
I am off now to give him a nice long groom and a cuddle ,

I will keep you posted , and Happy New Year :)

There you go, that sounds a much better scene. Two blips in three weeks is not that bad! Enjoy your time off, it will do you good, and don't put pressure on yourself for everything to be perfect from the early days. I'm a RI myself, and think that this sounds a situation that will work out well in the long run with a bit of work and patience..

Happy new year to you. I bet this time next year you will be posting a list of what you've acheved with your lovely horse...x

lottie940

Visit site
Firstly I'd ask yourself can you face the prospect of getting rid of him? I've been through this with my youngster and I'm sorry to say he gave me the run around for 12 months. He has only just started to settle recently and I've had him a year. He has a period when he will behave so I begin to relax and then he catches me off guard by doing something else. I too am a terrible worrier so I know how you feel, I've lost a stone in weight this year through stress!

I couldn't do it when it came to getting rid of Olls. The thought of him going and not knowing where he may end up broke my heart more than his antics did so I knew I had to persevere.

It really could be any number of things that are wrong with him and I think unless you spend some time turning him out and fetching him in yourself you may not get to the bottom of it. It could be that he likes to brought in first of an evening and he likes to go out first too. It may be the way that he is being handled, if he is a sensitive horse and they are rushing him he will pick up on this and stress himself. Where does he go when he escapes his handler??

I would go through the medical checks first, if he is good to ride I would say the chances of it being teeth or back are slim but check them anyway. If this is clear I would get some help with him and go back to basics for a while.

I did this with Olls and we now have a mutual respect and understanding of each other on the ground. I asked The Intelligent horsemanship for a list of their associates and I rang the chap in my area and we've not looked back since. He is coming back in the spring to help me continue Ollies education.

Remember it could also be a trick he has tried previously and always got away with so therefore it has just become a bad habit which has become dangerous. Good luck, give him time to settle, remember my boy took a year and he still misbehaves on a regular basis too!!

Ideal

Visit site
Hi all

I don't know how I managed it ( I am useless with computers ) but I have managed to upload 3 pics of Ben into a album on my profile !! You can put a horsey face to the name now !!! If anyone wanted to have a look .
:D

Ideal

Visit site
Hi Lottie

Thank you for your post on my thread , apparently when he ran off , he ran to the mares field !! When I have my days off I will turn him out and bring him in. Then I can see what he does and what seems to be causing him to get stressed out and rear.

I appreciate all your advice and telling me about Olls , you certainly put in alot of effort :)

Have a great New Year x

riding_high

Visit site
i moved my ponies to a new yard a couple of years ago, the one was very timid and the other was quite aggressive in their old yard. i moved them as a last resort to a busy yard and they have changed completely. the timid one is now cheeky, the aggressive one is now so chilled and happy.
my horse was very calm, quiet, relaxed, dope on a rope type horse at the old yard but after moving him to a busy yard he's now on his toes when ridden and is up to all sorts but thankfully nothing nasty. i just think he's very happy and settled and it's showing through in his attitude, in fact for them all.

Booboos

Visit site
As others have said if the turn out/bring in is his only problem it's usually something that can be managed and sorted out so don't stress too much.

When you take him out/bring him in stay safe, i.e. hat, gloves and sensible shoes.

Best of luck.

sykokat

Visit site
Hi. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your new boy. Some horses take a while to settle. He may have been at a high level of anxiety when he first arrived and displayed some behaviour not yet seen. Through doing so, he may well have learnt that being naughty has meant he can 'get away with it'. Some horses learn this really quickly. With a set routine and a regular consistent person handling him quietly but firmly hopefully he will settle.Just a question, did the vet take bloods when you had him vetted? When you saw him at the dealers yard how much did you handle him etc? Was he turned out with others before he arrived with you?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
He probably just needs more time to settle and once he is in group turn-out and becomes less anxious he will be fine. My horse turned into a complete *rse when I moved to one yard (I'd had him over 4 years by then). If I'd just bought him then I would have thought OMG what have I bought. I didn't realise how much the move would upset him.

He never did settle there but he was fine from day one at the yard I am now at. I wouldn't give up just yet I reckon it takes at least 3 to 6 months to feel reasonably settled and a year to feel at home with a new horse especially your first. I'd also go for someone who can help you do groundwork with him - it really does help.

Having said that don't struggle for too long because lost confidence is hard to regain.

Good luck

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He's very handsome. :D Love the purple rug!

picture.php

You'll get through this small blip, I'm sure that he'll be happier once he's settled in his new home better. :)

debsflo

Visit site
Have looked at your photos and he looks lovley, nice eye. I too would say dont panic and give him more time. Our last horse took ages to settle and always needed to be first in plus i think this is the worst time of year.

I have a very laid back mare and have owned her for 10 years however if the weather is bad or she is hungry she can be a pain esp bringing in. Your instructor sounds quite confident this will improve, so have faith....

tabithakat64

Visit site
I'd be really angry if a so called experienced person couldn't manage to keep hold of a horse in a chifney.

From what you've posted it just sounds like he's having a few issues settling in and maybe isn't happy with his current regime/yard, hopefully this will improve in time and when he is turned out with other horses.

My rescue was a complete idiot to turn out/catch in when I first had him, after some research it turned out that it was learnt behaviour but also that he was very insecure. We did have to use a chifney or bridle to lead him initally, but he's 99.9% better now with consistent, firm handling and some patience.

Last edited:

Ideal

Visit site
Happy New Year everyone

I am back at work , what joy :D

Thank you for responses

Sykokat- The vet did take bloods and I handled him in and out of his stable, grooming tacking up etc, rode in a indoor school and the following weekend hacked out on the road. I don't think he had been turned out for a while . I plan to text the dealer later today , to make her aware of the turning out issues. I appreciate your reply :)

Ideal

Visit site
Me again!!

Sussex by the sea- Thank you , I hope Ben does settle as I really like my current yard . I have some brilliant , supportive, knowledgeable friends with horses there too. Who are being incredibly supportive during my nervous, confidence , crisis moments. They have been helping me lunge ( I am not very experienced at lunging ) making me do things myself and keeping a watchful eye on me and guiding me if I go wrong . Hopefully when I contact the dealer today I may find out more about his turning out issues.

Meowy catmas/Tammytoo and Debsflo - Thank you for your comments re Ben's album of 3 photos :D

Tabithakat64- Thank you also for your comments , I am looking forward to my days off , so I can turn Ben out and bring him in. Reassuring to hear you made so much progress with your rescue horse. I hope I can do the same with Ben :)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Without wanting to sound mean, you need to get a grip and stop doubting yourself. With some good back-up and a strong desire to keep this lovely-looking little horse, your confidence in you as a pair will soon overcome these (from what I can tell) minor issues and you will begin to enjoy the ownership without questioning everything.

Nothing (apart from your nerves) jumps out at me as a cause for any problems. If you'd seen my TB schoolmaster dutifully carrying a complete novice round the school like a half-dead knacker case, then as soon as his tack was off and he could roll free, see him set about a display of bucking rearing and galloping that wouldn't disgrace a rodeo act, you would perhaps understand horses sometimes need to be horses and you have to be the boss. He came back to me and had his headcollar on and returned to his stable afterwards with some of the tickle still left in his feet, but I ignored him and settled for semi-tame :)

I have had him ten years and he has had his 'moments' as a younger fellow, but I simply got support (as you are) and I barely remember the issues now.

Grow some and start enjoying your horse.

Ideal

Visit site
Without wanting to sound mean, you need to get a grip and stop doubting yourself. With some good back-up and a strong desire to keep this lovely-looking little horse, your confidence in you as a pair will soon overcome these (from what I can tell) minor issues and you will begin to enjoy the ownership without questioning everything.

Nothing (apart from your nerves) jumps out at me as a cause for any problems. If you'd seen my TB schoolmaster dutifully carrying a complete novice round the school like a half-dead knacker case, then as soon as his tack was off and he could roll free, see him set about a display of bucking rearing and galloping that wouldn't disgrace a rodeo act, you would perhaps understand horses sometimes need to be horses and you have to be the boss. He came back to me and had his headcollar on and returned to his stable afterwards with some of the tickle still left in his feet, but I ignored him and settled for semi-tame :)

Hi thanks for reply , funnily enough you are the second person to tell me to grow some and I totally agree with you ! On thursday a friend at ben's yard told me to grow some balls and turn my nerves into bravardo :D

I have had him ten years and he has had his 'moments' as a younger fellow, but I simply got support (as you are) and I barely remember the issues now.

Grow some and start enjoying your horse.

Hi thanks for reply , funnily enough you are the second person to tell me to grow some and I totally agree with you ! On thursday a friend at ben's yard told me to grow some balls and turn my nerves into bravardo :D

I will try my best to grow some, they may grow slow though (born a worrier ) !! New year and I need to be positive . Stop doubting myself and get on with it .

Have a great day :)

Godknows

Visit site

I will try my best to grow some, they may grow slow though (born a worrier ) !! New year and I need to be positive . Stop doubting myself and get on with it .

Have a great day :)

Just one thing Ideal. Please make sure you are wearing a hard hat when handling. Happy New Year

FairyLights

Visit site
Hi Ideal,what a lovely lovely horse and with such a kind face.
Its early days yet and mid winter isnt the best time either. Once you can go and have a long hack together you will get to know each other better. Remember Ben has lost all his security,hes in a new yard with new horses and people. It must be very unsettling and maybe frightening for a horse when it is sold. Give the relationship time,it should flourish into a great one. Just think ahead to lovely long hacks on warm sunny days.

Ideal

Visit site
Godknows - Yes to a hard hat !! :) Growing some already !!!

Horsesforever1 - Thank you for your comments about Ben , I only managed to put 3 up so far in the album , as photos and computers are not my strong point !!!

Hope your having a good day :)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
To add - my horse of ten years lives at home and has done for all of that time. He's virtually comatose generally, but last night I moved him into one of the stables on the front yard. He was like a new weanling, running round the stable and whinnying. Moved another in next to him and he settled straight away. A small example of the stress they suffer when routine changes.

Read some books or articles on horse psychology so you have some idea of where they are coming from and perhaps see the reasons why they do the things do when they do them.

Also don't interpret everything as a personal attack. They need leadership so they have someone to do some of the worrying for them. No good at all if you are a jibbering wreck as then they just do what they know best - run away fast and ask questions later.

I'm not sure why he is already being handled as though he is a problem. Seems a bit OTT to me.

Hollycatt

Visit site
I couldn't believe how gorgeous he looks when I saw your pics :) I do think you need to have a good chat with the YO regarding exactly what his rearing entialed. Was it just a bit of high spirits or was he striking out and being an absolute g*t. Unless he was very problematic and dangerous I can't see that he should have had a chiffney put on stright away on his first day :( If he was that bad I am sure they would have told you. I suspect the staff bringing him in/out are not quite so experienced as you may think and they have tried a quick fix for something that in reality may not be much of a problem.

If I was you I would talk to the dealer and YO about it. And take your week off and spend lots of time with him. I suggest you also try to bring him in take him out to see if you are ok with it - with support on hand. He may be a LOT better when he is not billy no mates, but I do think if he does have some sort of proble walking in/out to fields make sure it is something you would be happy to do yourself.

Good luck with him :)

beeswax

Visit site
chiffneys are such dangerous things and so readily abused being used in the wrong hands and they make horses rear because they hurt, i wouldnt let anyone no matter how experienced they say they are use a chiffney on my horse, they leave bone spurs on the jaw and you can make injuries to the tongue, boy is fresh, new yard, put a normal bridle on him with a snaffle bit and with a lead rope to take him in and out of the field until he settles down and gets back in to work. Why are you losing your confidence, you wanted a horse, you felt you could handle a horse, they are not pets, what are you scared of, falling off or being kicked whilst it hurts also goes with the territory of having horses. the poor thing is probably more scared and confused as you are so you have to take control and guide him and show him all is okay.

Ideal

Visit site
Thank you for your replies , I have read all of them and taken in all the good advice and comments. I was able to bring Ben in myself today and he was really good.

I had a brilliant lesson on him too. I have started to grow some and that definitely helps :)

Ideal

Visit site
Thank you Victoria :) , I am in the security line of wk !

I think it has been helpful to be told to toughen up with Ben , as it's true. I am looking forward to my days off and spending oodles of time with him.
Doing lots of groundwork with him etc, this forum is so informative and helpful :)