Help again please

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
RE groundwork - don't get bogged down with it. The main thing is your personal space. He has to respect it and keep out of it unless invited in. Horses 'play a game' of moving your feet - if he can get you to move your feet, he is leader. Think about that, and make sure you are always the one moving his!

'Grow some' might be a bit harsh. Just remember they are very susceptible to (and really need) leadership because if they are in charge you are never going to have any say in anything.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have you spoken to the people you bought him off?

And does the yard you are at have competent staff?

And I would absolutely insist that the horse has some company, immediately.

I would also look to take some time off so that you can start to take control of the situation and get to know and handle your horse.

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
Not read all the replies but I would wait until he's out in company until you start to panic. My horse had to be on his own for a few months and he was scary! He had friends either side but it didn't help. He became really nervy and would charge to block me from leaving the field. He also became really spooky to ride. Don't underestimate their need for company, some of them can cope and some of them can't!

Ideal

Visit site
Not updated for a while as it's been a horrid last few weeks. My first horse experience was not quite as I planned. He is up for sale . He has moved yards and is currently with a very good friend . He is being a gent on the ground and no Chiffney being used. All who have seen and ridden him agree he is not a novice ride, confidence giving first horse. He needs someone with a good seat , which I lack!!

Dealer will not help in anyway shape or form which is being dealt with;

My plan of action is to improve my confidence, ground handling issues by helping out friends with their horses. Then improve my riding as much as I can. Hopefully later on in the year I will try again when I have saved up the money I have lost!! Making sure I do alot more research first and using google !!!

I have learnt the hard way , but will be armed with new knowledge when I decide I am ready to try again.

Thank you again for all your previous posts :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hopefully you are pursuing the dealer through Trading Standards if you feel you have been mis-sold the horse, and have received some good legal advice.

Poor horse - hope he finds a good home.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
thats a shame and i'm sorry it's not worked out, you are not the first and certainly won't the the last to be sold the wrong horse and even experienced people get duped too:(

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Dealer will not help in anyway shape or form which is being dealt with

I would speak to a solicitor and get them to write a letter to the dealer stating they have missold this animal and should take it back and return your money in full. The letter should cost about £50 and this is often enough for a dealer to play ball!

maree t

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, hope that you find him the right home and not lose too much on him. Really sad when it doesnt work out but dont give up keep looking and gaining experience. Is there a riding club nearby that you could join ? our local one does stable management etc lessons so could be worth it .

Booboos

Visit site
Sorry to hear it's bad news but sometimes it's best to recognise that a partnership is not working out and move on. Ditto the advice above regarding the dealer, they have a legal obligation to take the horse back so do pursue them.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
sorry to hear your horse has not worked out. BUT i would like to bat for the dealers! everyone wants one that looks like a ferrari, with talent, but rides like an 850cc fiat. they get it home stroke its hair and feed it! leave it to settle and wonder why it lights up.!! the best money spent, after a good vetting, is to get 3 lessons a week from a good instructer, for the first month, and minimal bucket food, as much turnout as possible, then a lesson a week for the next month then you will have a partnership! make sure your tack fits! but yes some dealers will sell hoses not suitable .....BUT it is very hard to tell someone that they dont ride well enough and to go back to the riding school to establish their balance, their seat , and oh the biggest of all their confidence. horses really dont like unconfident nervous people.. it would worry the best of them. i think if you dont feel its working out initially return within 7 to 14 days not 7 to 8 weeks later. just my thoughts on this......

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
sorry to hear your horse has not worked out. BUT i would like to bat for the dealers! everyone wants one that looks like a ferrari, with talent, but rides like an 850cc fiat. they get it home stroke its hair and feed it! leave it to settle and wonder why it lights up.!! the best money spent, after a good vetting, is to get 3 lessons a week from a good instructer, for the first month, and minimal bucket food, as much turnout as possible, then a lesson a week for the next month then you will have a partnership! make sure your tack fits! but yes some dealers will sell hoses not suitable .....BUT it is very hard to tell someone that they dont ride well enough and to go back to the riding school to establish their balance, their seat , and oh the biggest of all their confidence. horses really dont like unconfident nervous people.. it would worry the best of them. i think if you dont feel its working out initially return within 7 to 14 days not 7 to 8 weeks later. just my thoughts on this......

I agree with everything that you say. I don't know whether or not it applies in this case as I've not met the horse or the owner.

One thing that I would like to add in regards to my own mare (the chestnut one). When I first had her, I kept her on Part livery. The YO and the staff had alot of trouble with her and I was constantly being told how dreadful she was. It turned out that there was nothing wrong, naughty or aggressive with the mare it was their handling of her that was the problem. What it boiled down to was that they had X amount of horses to do by X time and they were rushing to get all ther horses done. She saw this as them being aggressive towards her and behaved accordingly, which made them cross and the vicious circle continued. I moved her to DIY and she was so much happier.

again this may not be the case for the OP's horse, but if anyone does have a horse that behaves well for them and doesn't with the staff/YO, it is worth considering that it isn't the horse causing the problem.

To the OP. I'm very sorry that it has turned out like this. I hope that you get everything sorted and are able to find your perfect horse in the future. :)