Help asking questions about a potential viewing

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
the big question is not if she is nice and goes off at a tangent. Of course she is and does and wants you to buy a horse from her. To me the question is how nice and helpful she is going to be if you get him home and something turns out to be not as described or you need to return him. Does she have others who you could exchange with, is she likely to return your money and does she even own the horse.
I have become very cynical from some of the stories on here of people excited to see and buy their horse only to find that is when the problems really start.
I was trying to say she sounded really nice and genuine. I've done my due diligence and asked around and a couple of people I know have had positive dealings with her so hopefully all is well. I used to buy from a very well established breeder. He said to me that dealing was his life, he'd built up an excellent reputation over the years and would never knowingly risk his name.

I think dealers who've been in the business a long time are mostly the same. I've used three dealers for 6 different horses and they were all superb although I guess the measure of how good one is can only realistically be measured by how well they deal with any issues you might encounter after the sale.

Sorry just realised I've answered via email linked reply hence my previous user name. Arghh.

ImmyS

Visit site
When buying Finn unseen I asked if there were other people I could speak to who had purchased from herself. She gave me a number of names who were happy for me to contact them regarding their buying experience. I found this so helpful and reassuring. Might be worth asking about?

Sealine

Visit site
Don't ask leading or yes/no questions as the answers will be much more revealing. For example, instead of 'Is he ok to hack alone?' ask 'How is he hacking alone?'. Listen carefully to the answers and look out for any red flags and dig deeper if you need to.

Leandy

Visit site
All the above, and I would want to speak to the owner (on the assumption the dealer is selling on their behalf, or previous owner if dealer is now the owner) direct and not just the dealer. If they won't do that then I would be suspicious. Whilst I do agree that it is a good idea not to ask leading questions, I do think it is well worthwhile telling the dealer exactly what sort of a rider you are, your experience and what you intend to do with the horse if you haven't already. I would hope that any good dealer (or other seller) is going to tell you if the horse is entirely unsuitable and hence a viewing would be a waste of time for both of you.

Kaylum

Visit site
Stalk as much as possible. If not you, then get a friend to do it. Ask about the dealer and the horse. Its amazing what messages/ info you will get. Facebook is best and the dodgy dealer sites.

neddy man

Visit site
Is he shod and good to shoe and does he load and travel well in a box or trailer, ask to see him loaded into a box or trailer see him in his stable and check he has water, mention you will be taking and testing blood sample at the vet inspection, is he kept alone in the field can he be turned out with mares and geldings, duplicate your phone questions to see if answers are the same as given earlier. good luck.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’d want to see him caught in. One of mine was a demon and wouldn’t be caught. Now mine comes to call, I’m spoiled but I find it necessary given the leg issues.

humblepie

Visit site
I am sure you will do, but if going to view in person if possible take someone else with you. Even if they are not particularly horsey it can be amazing what they pick up upon in casual conversation. Not vital but perhaps ask if horse is microchipped as by law he/she should be and if not it is something you would need to get done (doesn't cost that much). Hope all goes well.

Edited to add - when I bought my previous horse, he was all tacked up and ready to be ridden - that could be taken as is he difficult to handle but it was a pro event yard had him in to sell and to them it was time and efficiency. I can't think they would ever be concerned as to whether a horse was easy to do as long as he did the job.

Annagain

Visit site
Has he already been put through any vetting by a potential buyer?

An agent with a very good reputation who has been recommended on this forum recently explained to me a few weeks back that they will not take a deposit from a buyer but will accept every high enough offer made and put the horse through repeat vettings in the hope that it passes another time with a vet with lower standards or less experience.

A friend recently saw a horse with a local dealer. Lovely, lovely horse but it failed the vet on something not insignificant. It's now being readvertised at an even higher price with no mention of the failed vetting.

Hope your viewing goes well, Birker.

PurBee

Visit site
Does he load and travel well.
How much is his turn out currently. What is he being fed.

Agree so much….What’s his current diet regime is essential question tbh. When i loaned out and bought, if i hadnt have said or asked about diet, no info would have been offered freely, or asked, which i find amazing.

If your setup you feed haylage, muesli and vits evening and grass rest of time, and the horse bought in is used to rough grass land and low energy hay, being suddenly switched to your current regime could have you handling a difficult horse mainly due to severe digestive changes. So many thread on here about unhandleable new horse that was fine at previous home.

Also ask whats horse like being stabled? Many are 24/7 grazers, not used to confinement. My own horses have a shared bedded large stable thats always open and havent been shut in at all for years so would be tricky to suddenly experience a 12hr/12hr stable/field life, and probably would turn demonic for new owner who has a stabling regime!