Help for horse that has all of a sudden decided to act like a right git :(

olop

Visit site
This may be long so please bear with :eek:

Last month I moved my boy to a nice little private yard (with 3 other horses on it) from a big competition yard (I moved becase he was on part livery & the grooms were not looking after him properly). Since the move my boy is pretty much acting like a spolit brat.

He has become bargy, biting, kicking the s*** out of the stable door & trying to clamber over the door(even when the others are in), neighing constantly for other horses, acting riggy when around the other 3 horses & I am just not coping with it all. All his life he has been a complete laid back larry (I have owned him since 3 year old he is now 10) & this change of behaviour has completely thrown me as I just cant handle him. He wasnt even like this through the younger years.

Ridden the only way I can describe it is its like I am on a ticking timebomb.

He is on DIY & he gets turned out during the day, in at night but at the moment I have just left him out as I cant deal with him kicking the s*** out of the stable doors & trying to clamber over as he has been doing (even when the others are in)

Does anyone have any advice?? I know we have only been there a month but its just uncontrollable now to the point where I dont want to be around him :(

Worse thing is I told the lady when we moved there that he is a complete saint (which he was before we moved!) & he has turned like this :( I fear even she may have enough & ask us to leave eventually anyway as he is being a right nuisance. Its her own yard attached to her house & she asked if he was well behaved before we moved & we are on a months trial.

Left over easter eggs (I'm a good girl!) for your help :)

3BayGeldings

Visit site
Can I ask what you are feeding him? I would cut out all hard feed if he is on any - I did the opposite to you in that I moved my saintly tb from a private yard to a livery yard and he started behaving exactly like yours - turns out they were feeding him far too much feed. I moved him home, cut it out, and after a couple of weeks of normal feed rations he has gone back to normal.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Maybe he has become a little unsettled from the move and going from a busy competition yard to a small yard with only 3 other horses is a big change of scenery. Could it be possible that he is missing the business and commotion that he saw at the competition yard?

I've not real suggestions or experience of your problem, but I wish you the very best of luck in finding a solution for you and your horse. There are plenty of very knowledgeable people on this forum, so hopefully there will be a solution or some good ideas for you to try!

Again, good luck!

L :)

olop

Visit site
He gets a scoop a day of molasses free alfa-a (has been on this for around a year now) he really lacks condition coming out of winter & he has a sugar intollarance so its the only one I can feed at the moment (still looking quite poor even with all the rain & sun on the grass) I did try him on the hi-fi version last year but that flared his skin up so had to go back to alfa-a.
Thanks for the suggestion :)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
What's the grass like there? It may be that you're on really rich pasture and it's blowing his brain. I'd be tempted to see if you can restrict his grazing either by only turning out at night, or on a starvation paddock or using a muzzle. If his feed hasn't changed then this might be your next question. Hope you get it sorted soon. :) x

olop

Visit site
Thanks riderlizzie - I am hoping it is just him being unsettled, he hasnt shown signs of calming down just yet, in fact I would say it was getting worse :( Maybe a week or so out on the grass might calm him down a bit.

PolarSkye

Visit site
You may not like what it is I am about to say, but . . . move. My own sweet boy turned into a fire breathing monster on one particular yard . . . we lasted four months . . . and that was three months too long, frankly. He was bargey, bolshy, skittish, impossible to hack, spooky and pretty much a nightmare. Horses are individuals and, just like us, don't always like where they live (and they don't have a choice).

Can you take a step back and analyze perhaps what's different or possibly objectionable to your boy about this yard?

By way of example, the yard Kal hated was too small and compartmentalized for him. The fields were completely separated from the yard . . . the yard was very bitty and not well joined up . . . and the school was separate again and enclosed on two sides by a very scary, rustly hedge. For an insecure, herd-bound, nosey horse like Kal this was tantamount to solitary confinement. Where we are now we are on a yard of 30-odd horses, but have our own little private mini yard of five . . . he can smell and hear the other 25 . . . his stable looks out onto the fields . . . the school looks out onto the fields . . . in short, he is in the middle of the yard but our little section is quiet (also important for a nosey stresshead like The GreyDonk). He is so happy and settled where we are that I am starting to find poos in his stable that could only be where they are b/c he has had his back to his door . . . unheard of him for him.

Seriously, I would move . . . your lovely horse is telling you that he doesn't like where he is.

Good luck :).

P

olop

Visit site
What's the grass like there? It may be that you're on really rich pasture and it's blowing his brain. I'd be tempted to see if you can restrict his grazing either by only turning out at night, or on a starvation paddock or using a muzzle. If his feed hasn't changed then this might be your next question. Hope you get it sorted soon. :) x

I didnt think of that - thanks for the suggestion. At the momentt I have him out 24/7 just to see if he can burn some energy up through the day being out but I never thought that the grass may be having a negative effect.

It is quite a rich pasture, plenty of coverage & he is in about an acre to himself.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
No worries, it may not be the answer but when you think how many horses start acting up in springtime if he's on more lush grass than before it could well be a factor. Good luck.

olop

Visit site
You may not like what it is I am about to say, but . . . move. My own sweet boy turned into a fire breathing monster on one particular yard . . . we lasted four months . . . and that was three months too long, frankly. He was bargey, bolshy, skittish, impossible to hack, spooky and pretty much a nightmare. Horses are individuals and, just like us, don't always like where they live (and they don't have a choice).

Can you take a step back and analyze perhaps what's different or possibly objectionable to your boy about this yard?

By way of example, the yard Kal hated was too small and compartmentalized for him. The fields were completely separated from the yard . . . the yard was very bitty and not well joined up . . . and the school was separate again and enclosed on two sides by a very scary, rustly hedge. For an insecure, herd-bound, nosey horse like Kal this was tantamount to solitary confinement. Where we are now we are on a yard of 30-odd horses, but have our own little private mini yard of five . . . he can smell and hear the other 25 . . . his stable looks out onto the fields . . . the school looks out onto the fields . . . in short, he is in the middle of the yard but our little section is quiet (also important for a nosey stresshead like The GreyDonk). He is so happy and settled where we are that I am starting to find poos in his stable that could only be where they are b/c he has had his back to his door . . . unheard of him for him.

Seriously, I would move . . . your lovely horse is telling you that he doesn't like where he is.

Good luck :).

P

Thank you for your post - my boy sound slike he is behaving exactly like yours was :(
I thought I was doing the right thing by moving him somewhere quieter & have more personal care than at the big yard but he sounds like he is telling me he like dthe hussle & bussle of the old yard.

Today really was the last straw & I really was thinking I need to get out but I thought haing been there only a month have I given him enough time.

Its so difficult, glad to hear yours settled with another move to a bigger yard.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thank you for your post - my boy sound slike he is behaving exactly like yours was :(
I thought I was doing the right thing by moving him somewhere quieter & have more personal care than at the big yard but he sounds like he is telling me he like dthe hussle & bussle of the old yard.

Today really was the last straw & I really was thinking I need to get out but I thought haing been there only a month have I given him enough time.

Its so difficult, glad to hear yours settled with another move to a bigger yard.

Moving is horrible isn't it. :( I moved just after christmas to a place that I thought would tick all of my mare's boxes but she obviously hated it so we had to move again a month later. She's definitely happier at the place we are now but it's taking a long time for her to settle down to her old self.

So, just to warn you if you do move again, you might find he is still a bit difficult. Someone told me they thought it takes horses 6-12 months to adjust to a new place.:( I'm hoping it won't take that long but am ready for the long haul :eek:

olop

Visit site
Moving is horrible isn't it. :( I moved just after christmas to a place that I thought would tick all of my mare's boxes but she obviously hated it so we had to move again a month later. She's definitely happier at the place we are now but it's taking a long time for her to settle down to her old self.

So, just to warn you if you do move again, you might find he is still a bit difficult. Someone told me they thought it takes horses 6-12 months to adjust to a new place.:( I'm hoping it won't take that long but am ready for the long haul :eek:

It really is - he has moved quite a few times in his life as we relocated to the area from my hometown as well (over 100 miles away) 12 montsh ago. That didnt faze him but moving from the comp yard to the smaller yard has blown his mind :(

Thanks for the advice, its quite a comfort to know its not just happened to me. Glad to hear your's has settled down now.

milliepops

Visit site
if only she had settled! We're nearly there, she is quiet in stable and field, normal to ride etc but now having problems catching her! Gutted tonight, sun was shining, jumps all laid out... horse farting around in the field, untouchable :mad::mad::mad:;)

meesha

Visit site
Only a thought but I just read he has an acre to himself - was he turned out with other horses at the old yard and now is on his own ? or if not is he having to fight for his position in the new herd due to a clash with another horse(s) and is carrying this over into his behaviour with you ?

It could be worth asking if you can put him with just one other horse (whichever one you think he gets on with best!)

wishing you luck.

milliepops

Visit site
hope so :D I'm going to leave her to it I think, she will twig eventually. Hope you get sorted soon :)

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I would also be a bit inclined to think the grass may have something to do with it, especially if it is really good pasture. The first spring I had Che (TB) I made the mistake of turning him out on too much rich spring grass too quickly without thinking about what might be going on with it. He turned into an absolute demon, exploding in hand, barging and dragging me around and I was far too scared to ride him. I strip grazed his paddock for a while and started adding a magnesium supplement (we are low in mag on our land) + brewers yeast and pink powder. Sounds a bit of a mix but it works for us and hes never looked back, looks really well and manages to contain himself when that first little rush of grass comes through.

olop

Visit site
He has always been on individual turnout - I used to have 2 (I lost my little mare coming up 3 years ago) so he has been on individual turnout since then & has coped up until now.

Lady that owns yard wont allow me to turnout with her's so it isnt an option at the moment. They can see each other other the fence so he isnt in complete confinement.

Thanks for your advice.

EllenJay

Visit site
It could be the stable - my boy hates an "open" outlook i.e. if he can see fields and open spaces he completly stresses, but if i have him in an enclosed environment he is totally chilled.

olop

Visit site
Thank you both for the calmer suggestions - do you have any recommendations if I decide to go down that route??

I'm thinking about maybe restricting his grazing for a little while & if no change go with a calmer & if not then leaving as a last resort. Willing to give anything a go before I decide to up & leave (may not be an option anyway if the lady decides he is too much for her yard anyway)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I would try Feedmark Steady up or another magnesium based calmer, also stable part time with plenty of hay, you did mention sugar intolerance, and sweet green grass is full of sugars, best to stable during the day particularly a.m. My boy has had to move several times, and he really got pretty upset.

olop

Visit site
It could be the stable - my boy hates an "open" outlook i.e. if he can see fields and open spaces he completly stresses, but if i have him in an enclosed environment he is totally chilled.

Stable yard is a courtyard that faces the school, fields are around the back. His stable is on the corner so he faces the others but can also see out to the school if you see what I mean.
He was last kept in an american barn but had another 30 horses around him in a square block. He was on restricted turnout there (he was only out for 3 hours a day) where as now at first I had him on about 5 hours but after his acting up he has been out 24/7 since last Sunday.

olop

Visit site
I would try Feedmark Steady up or another magnesium based calmer, also stable part time with plenty of hay, you did mention sugar intolerance, and sweet green grass is full of sugars, best to stable during the day particularly a.m. My boy has had to move several times, and he really got pretty upset.

Thanks for that - am now hoping its the grass upsetting him, will give the restricted grazing a go & try the calmer if not working.

Thanks again :)

milesjess

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies but sounds like he's either unsettled or found a new lease of life!

That or he's testing your patience haha.

Get him into a routine and regular handling, ensure you correct bad behaviour.

If he's happier being out all the time I would keep him there until he starts to settle more, it'll help take the edge off him too.

Plus with the good weather he'll be fresh. Are you working him? Maybe get him lunging?

milliepops

Visit site
Re calmers: I had to sedate my mare to begin with :eek: but when that ran out I got her some Nupafeed. Did seem to help but quite strong tasting so it was a bit difficult to get into her to start with. If I can ever catch her again :rolleyes: I'll be carrying on with it :)

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
May be really really really stupid, but he has gone from 3 hrs a day grazing to 5 hrs to unlimited..... could it be he is feeling agrophobic?????

PolarSkye

Visit site

You're right . . . it is difficult . . . and there's not much worse than having an unhappy horse. Just take the time to figure out what your boy needs. He will let you know - and you know him better than anyone :) x

P