Help! Hoover dryer doesnt dry.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Posting here to get max traffic.

I've just bought a Hoover 10kg condenser dryer and I can't find any program where I can just set it going and it will carry on until the washing is dry. It is stopping at the end of programs still wet. It's not faulty, it's heating up, it runs for ages, but when it finishes the clothes are still damp and it has to be started again.

I'm used to a vented dryer with an on/off switch, not this thing with 20 programs!

Anyone got any tips? I've already tried turning off the "iron ready" function.

tatty_v

Visit site
Our tumble dryer was like this, the only setting I can ever use to get things dry is “cottons extra dry”, forget the rest. Also regular de-fluffing of both the filter in the door and the filter at the bottom…

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I hate condenser dryers.

Mine was doing the same thing last week and we had to have a sensor replaced.

Sometimes it's that you have to take everything out such as the condenser unit, water tank, and whatever else you can remove from the front and make sure there is no lint or wet lint anywhere.

Ours only really dried on "high" heat, which isn't so good for clothes, but works.

Which programs are you using?

ycbm

Visit site
Our latest test this morning, which seems to have worked, is "Eco cottons no iron off"

I wish we'd bought vented it's making the room hot and damp. I know they waste electricity but I'm not impressed with this one! Talk about over complicated ?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have just replaced our Hotpoint, which hasn't been right since they 'adjusted' it to avoid the known fire-risk. We have bought a Beko heat pump dryer, becasue we were so fed up of the condenser one. I shall never buy a Hotpoint again, though, despite the fact that my first washing machine was a hand-me-down when my mum replaced it as part of having a kitchen fitted. That machine lasted for well over 12 years but built in obsolescence seems to be a thing these days.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Our latest test this morning, which seems to have worked, is "Eco cottons no iron off"

I wish we'd bought vented it's making the room hot and damp. I know they waste electricity but I'm not impressed with this one! Talk about over complicated ?

Hm. I'm not sure how the setting I use would translate to English ? should be hot heat, as opposed to warm, and "iron dry" that's what gets mine thoroughly dry. Warm heat and closet dry is ok, but can be a bit damp.

Usually the dryer has to be in a well vented room because they can make it warm or damp. I don't have that issue so much in this house with this dryer. In my last one it did. The dryer came with the house, so that was nice and I suppose it does the job, usually. I do hang dry a lot more clothes than I used to though.

DirectorFury

Visit site
We also have a Hoover condenser dryer and it’s ruddy awful, usually takes 2 full runs to actually dry a load of washing. It’s much worse when the condenser is full of lint so we flush it through in the shower every time it’s used and jet wash it every 2 weeks. If you remove the condenser and lie down to look into the back of the condenser space you’ll probably see that the back of it is covered in a thick soggy layer of fluff - cleaning this with a vacuum will also help.

There should be an extra setting that looks like a pair of wardrobe doors, and this gets stuff dryer than the others. I’ll take a photo of mine later!

I’m going to be replacing it with a Samsung heat pump dryer as apparently they’re much better. We have to run a dehumidifer alongside the Hoover tumble dryer which makes it ridiculously expensive to run.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've just bought a Hoover 10kg condenser dryer and I can't find any program where I can just set it going and it will carry on until the washing is dry. It is stopping at the end of programs still wet.

Badly designed, then, if no programme will dry your clothes sufficiently.

Or badly documented if you just can't find the programme that will do the job.

Anyone got any tips?

Read the instructions one last time, and if it still doesn't do its job, return for a full refund.

We have a Laden condenser dryer that served us well for at least five years with two small children for three of those years, then it sat in storage for eight years, and has since served us well for another twelve years. It needed a replacement thermal cut-out when it was about for years old and I replaced the belt on it about five years ago.

It has one rotary dial for, I think, six different programmes and has two buttons. It's hard to find anything simpler.

ycbm

Visit site
I have a Hotpoint condenser and i put everything in ‘mixed’ and that does it. The other settings seem to leave clothes damp.

Mixed on this one stops when it thinks the synthetics are dry to let you take those out and then dry the rest.

Anything iron dry stops when it's very damp.

It's a pigs ear of a machine, I think, and that's probably unfair to the pig!

Petalpoos

Visit site
Yes, they are not easy. You pay extra to try and save the planet and then find the new product is not as good as the older types. A familiar story now I think, but hopefully it all helps a bit. Sigh.

honetpot

Visit site
Are you mixing your fabrics? Ours stops when the quickest drying fabric dries, my husband can not get his head around this and will put a poly cotton shirt in with jeans, and when it stops the jeans are still wet. Energy saving also means drying at lower temperatures for longer, he also does not get this either, we have solar panels and on a sunny day we can use it for virtually free as we are making more electricity than we are using. I air dry towels and all the heavy stuff and then finish off in the dryer.

Or it could be a duff sensor.

Leandy

Visit site
I have to say I've never found the use for a tumble drier, just dry things outside if poss or in the utility room if not.

we have solar panels and on a sunny day we can use it for virtually free as we are making more electricity than we are using

But on a sunny day you can just hang outside to dry and that is completely free??

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have you checked that you are not overloading it? they usually say how much they recommend. i have an AEG washer/dryer as dont have room for a separate tumble dryer and after years of damp washing i now only put small amounts in and it is much better. during the summer i use the whirlygig washing line which costs nothing and dries loads at a time

meleeka

Visit site
Iron dry is really damp. Can you change the settings to ‘bone dry’? I also have a cupboard dry which is pretty damp too.

I haven’t got a condenser driver but I do like the sensor dry bit (only ever use bone dry setting on mixed). It’s been ages since I shrunk anything ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have to say I've never found the use for a tumble drier, just dry things outside if poss or in the utility room if not.
That is grand if you have a utility room.

We don't.

So a tumble dryer it is, for those days/weeks/months when nothing will dry outside.

I'd also like a ceiling mounted pulley clothes airer over an Aga, but we haven't got the space for either of those.

Ours is a heat pump Miele dryer, which is very slow but is energy efficient and does work well.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You took the words right out of my mouth, OP! Living here, there are more days in the year when we can't dry anything outside than when we can.I certainly take advantage of good weather to dry washing on the whirligig but that is usually only any good in the summer months. If we are lucky, there might be a few 'drying days' in winter but there won't be many!
I am planning on having an extension to the kitchen, which will become a utility room but i still won't be draping wet washing around it, it won't be big enough!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
have you checked that you are not overloading it? they usually say how much they recommend. i have an AEG washer/dryer as dont have room for a separate tumble dryer and after years of damp washing i now only put small amounts in and it is much better. during the summer i use the whirlygig washing line which costs nothing and dries loads at a time

My Miele tumble dryer does not dry if it’s overloaded.

ycbm

Visit site
Confession time. We have a ground source heat pump. We generate energy with solar and have had a wind turbine and are looking at another which won't break Peak Park rules. We predominantly drive an all electric vehicle. We haven't flown for 7 years.

But I like washing which is dried in a machine, it's softer, and it's a real fag hanging out washing and getting it back in again, so everything goes in the drier.

teddypops

Visit site
I think the main issue might be that it is a hoover. They are one of the least reliable washing machines.(we did our research after purchase).I would imagine the driers are similar.

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have a cheapo condenser drier. I pick anything delicate out of the washing and stick it on the radiator then everything else goes in on cotton until dry.

paddy555

Visit site

But on a sunny day you can just hang outside to dry and that is completely free??

me neither. I tried one once when clearing out my mum's place. It seemed to take forever.

teddypops

Visit site

I don’t use one either. Outside or on a clothes horse in the kitchen does the job for us.