Help me decide: Am I being mad, or should I go for it?

Dusty85

Visit site
So I appreciate this is a slightly biased place to ask but Id appreciate genuine opinions on the following matter. Feel free to rant at me calling me mad- maybe I need a dose of the real world for a moment.

Ive got the chance to buy an ex-racer. I know of him through a friend of a friend. 9yo, very well bred, did well racing 18 times (first time 2013, jumps) winning 5 and placed 5. Injured in Jan whilst exercising- I'm told it was a mild near fore sdft injury, hence why he is now for sale. Im told he is very easy and was known at the yard for being a very well mannered, straightforward type (I appreciate this was whilst in regular work, but he would have also been fit as a fiddle). Injury occurred in Jan of this year, he has been turned away since.

Im very happy riding/handling TBs, I've had two previously (one a nutter, one not so). Im happy with forward- but i do prefer them to keep all four feet on the ground- especially the front ones). I have ridden ex racers but never 'retrained' one. however have low level evented and brough green horses on before so Im happy this is within my reach. I do have help in the form of a friend who breaks/runs a pointing yard should I need her.

However I have just had a baby- now 6 months old, and haven't sat on a horse since he was born, and last rode very early on in the pregnancy. My husband is shall we say 'anti horses'. not totally but it would definitely cause a few arguments if i bought this horse, and herein lies my dilemma. He is however, away every week mon-friday so has to understand that i need something to keep my busy too.

Not that this would be much of an issue- this horse would obviously need turning away for several months- that I am happy to do as obviously busy at present.

He is cheap but very well bred. Im not planning on vetting. He will have shoes taken off and turned away. The only insurance I'm planning on having is third party and possibly a little for vets fees for minor ailments, but I'm well aware that soundness on that limb wont be covered and I'm also okay with the fact that if he never comes sound or it doesnt work out as he is a nut job then i will likely pts (don't shoot me- this is my opinion and not the topic up for discussion).

In terms of use- due to baby Im well aware that my eventing days are over- this is a hacking, possibly light hunting if soundness stands up to it and fun ride horse. purely for me to have a little fun on. no expectations of him. I have plenty of rugs tack etc inc an adjustable saddle for when the time comes so that isn't an issue. I have a well paid job so finance isn't also an issue.

Anyway- I'm sorry this has got long- should I do it or am I mad?! help me decide!

rachk89

Visit site
Does seem a bit mad to knowingly buy a horse that is still lame, needs more rest til he may become sound or may never be sound again, going by your thread if I understood correctly.

If you're happy to take that on, knowing he will probably be fun to deal with once sound from lack of exercise (will be fresh for a while no doubt), and can afford it, then go for it. I personally wouldn't but I can't afford to take that kind of gamble.

be positive

Visit site
18 runs in 4-5 seasons is a very light racing record for a horse that won 5 and is "well bred" and at 9 he is young to retire, I would suspect his soundness has been an issue for years and they have been very careful with his work for all the time he was in training, the same alarm bells are ringing as the ones that went off when Michen bought a lightly raced horse that proved to be extremely fragile in so many ways.

I am all for giving them a second career but the fragile ones are high risk, may not stand up to light hunting and fun rides may blow his brain, the last one here was a super hack and enjoyed competing but fun rides were far too exciting and hunting would have been impossible, he had recovered from a sdft injury so that would not put me off as much as the fact he has done so little, cheap horses are not always cheap once you get them home.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
If you have a well paid job, why not buy a horse that's sound, sane for what you want to do (with a kid you'll want something that's the same if it's not ridden for a month) and ready to go? Can't be messing around once you've got a kid imho with anything you're not sure about keeping it's feet on the floor.

Luckily for me my horse is laid back (on baby number 2 now) also he's been lame seemingly forever so I bareky ever ride, the safest type of horse ownership :D

Visit site
A minor SDFT injury shouldn't reoccur if you are careful with it and the horse should go on to do whatever you want it to do.

What you really need to weigh up is how much bottle you really do have left after having a kid. Right now you may think you can cope with whatever the horse throws at you within reason but until you test it out you will never truly know.

How about go look at the horse, go for a ride on a friends horse and see how you feel then.

I've never had kids, I don't ever plan on having kids but I do know of plenty of people who's horsey lives have changed dramatically after having kids.

Dusty85

Visit site
Is the horse sound now?

Sorry I should have said- Yes he is sound now. I haven't seen him in the flesh yet I should add, but I'm told he is '100% sound'.

Why should having a baby stop you eventing?

Haha, not just the baby but thats the easiest to mention: time being the biggest one- i am on my own in the week as husband works in london so the time that needs to go into eventing i just don't have anymore, baby, funds, husband- many reasons why I doubt ill event in the next five years or so anyway!

Dusty85

Visit site
All valid points- thank you everyone.

I would like to return to eventing at some point but its just not feasible now.

I also agree he is lightly raced- i didn't think about it from that point of view so that is definitely something to consider. If I decide to go any further I will be speaking to the old yard.

He is well bred- to me anyway- his dam is closely related to miners frolic- his sire is a well known racehorse sire. Im not that interested or well read in racing breeding- it was more what the breeding meant to me.

Stencil face- i think you probably have the most valid point! My last horse was a sharp youngster who I sold in early pregnancy and other than that I have sat on a few friends cobs/sedate types. Confidence is a massive question here. I have always been confident even with very strong forward excitable types but yes i do have some lessons at talland booked to get me back into the swing of things. I didn't see that as much of an issue here as by the time id be riding him (at earliest end of the summer) id have hoped that my confidence would be on its way back to what it was.

I agree this isn't the right timing perhaps but what seems like a chance to have a bit of fun again. Maternity leave with a baby when you're on your own in the week can get a little cabin fever like.

tashcat

Visit site
I think you should see him first to get a better idea, but I don't see why not. You sound like you've got a plan and are approaching it with a sensible attitude.

Keep us updated!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes I think you are mad. Sorry. Get something sound and sane you can go and be underhorsed on while you've got a little baby to be on sole charge of! It's not just about confidence it's about knowing the buck stops with you with your child and if something happens to incapacitate you, you are really stuck.

Luci07

Visit site
How about a half way house and one that benefits both sides. Your biggest concern is that you don't know how he will react to a softer workload. He is unfit and field sound so a very poor prospect for sale.

So how about a LWVTB under these circumstances or if not feasible, a plan whereby you start to bring him into work where he is at for X weeks. End of that time you will know if he is a sound b suitable and if nothing else, the yard will have (if sound) a horse who can be sold.

rextherobber

Visit site
Yes I think you are mad. Sorry. Get something sound and sane you can go and be underhorsed on while you've got a little baby to be on sole charge of! It's not just about confidence it's about knowing the buck stops with you with your child and if something happens to incapacitate you, you are really stuck.

Wise words...

Dusty85

Visit site

Very valid point- one I have already thought about. However, even a sane horse cannot have guarantees and there isn't anything to suggest this horse isn't a sane one also- the only way I can definitely be safe is to not ride ever again- not an option in my opinion.

Yes a horse that on paper is more safe would be ideal- however I do love TBs and love the idea of giving a ex racer a new home. a safe as houses sedate cob/plod type just isn't my thing, sadly- it would be a lot easier if it was.

Last edited:

jumping.jack_flash

Visit site
So . ..you have basically invited to be "Roasted" . .so here goes.

Totally get why you would be considering . .i do . . But . .

Slightly unfair on other half, if he's working all week, and you have just had a baby, don't you think your priorities are slightly out of sync?

I personally think, find an animal to ride look after for FREE in exchange for help, Monday to Friday . . .and enjoy cups of coffee, yard chats WITHOUT any financial commitment . .

This will also help relationship wise, and gently get OH used to you being back around horse (more a psychological reasons ;) ).

Then, when little one is older, at first school, get a hobby job . .and go after your hobby.

There will always be a SOUND injury free horse looking for a home . .

Whatever you decide . .i wish you well . .

(this is coming from someone, who bought an ex race horse at the age of 14, kept it without the parents knowing for 2 years, using dinner money and working weekends to pay for it . .cycling in the evenings to see it).

Again. Good luck ��

Last edited:

rachk89

Visit site
To be honest, you sound like you care more about his breeding than anything else too. If he didnt have the lines you like, would you be as interested? Be honest with yourself too.

Dusty85

Visit site
(this is coming from someone, who bought an ex race horse at the age of 14, kept it without the parents knowing for 2 years, using dinner money and working weekends to pay for it . .cycling in the evenings to see it).

Again. Good luck ��

Hahaha...Yes perhaps not the best person to ask.

Incidentally- when have I ever said my baby isn't my priority- he comes before all else!

That said- I am entitled to a little of my own time too. This isn't a horse for anything other than a bit of fun- at the very least hacking about- after all that is what I miss the most.

You are totally right however- getting a share would be the most sensible thing to do. FWIW I wouldn't have posted asking for people to offer their opinions if I was totally convinced it was the best thing to do.

Dusty85

Visit site
To be honest, you sound like you care more about his breeding than anything else too. If he didnt have the lines you like, would you be as interested? Be honest with yourself too.

Im always interested in a very well put together horse, irrespective of breeding. what does breeding really matter anyway in a gelding who you aren't going to continue in the sport they were bred for?

rachk89

Visit site
Im always interested in a very well put together horse, irrespective of breeding. what does breeding really matter anyway in a gelding who you aren't going to continue in the sport they were bred for?

Well you do keep mentioning as a reason for why you want him. Plus he doesnt sound well put together if a few races leaves him lame.

Noble

Visit site
My now 7 year old ex racer who I acquired as a 3 year old (30 years horse ownership including other TB's) is the most sane chap on the yard and has been since he arrived. Go and meet him, they have such bad press and are often prejudged by people just on their breeding. Most have been there seen it and done it and are a joy to retrain especially as you are in no rush. Obviously you have a baby and this is your priority but I wouldn't discount an ex racer just on breed but would consider a vetting or a scan on the affected leg as although cheap to buy the vets fees are still the same. Agree on the above if you could get a long term loan whilst assessing his soundness.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Well you seem pretty set on the idea...
I just wouldn't choose to buy a horse with a previous injury. Plenty of sound horses out there to choose from.

Flyermc

Visit site
thought id say my 'story'

ive been pony mad forever and got my welsh D when i was 16 when he was a newly broken 4 year old. Anyway fast forward many years and he's now 21, im much older and currently pregnant with baby number 2 (our little girl is 2 years old) and despite the fact that my pony means sooo much to me, ive had a really amazing teen and 20's with him and had ago at everything and he truly owes me nothing, in reality, between just one little girl and work i have very little time with him :(

I manage to ride once a week on a Sunday morning and often feel that im rushing around trying to fit everything in, that i miss out both ends. Im generally up and out of the house before she's even awake (hubby takes her to nursery) to do the pony before i start work, which again is a rush at the yard to get everything done before work. I ride every Sunday morning, but then that means that we only have 1 'family' day a week, on a Saturday. Im luckly that i only work Tuesday-Friday, so i at least get the extra day with just the 2 of us.

I never want anything to happen to my pony and he's certainly not an 'old 21' but i certainly would not be getting another horse if anything did happen. I couldnt imagine not having a horsey fix, so i think id be sticking to some good riding lessons for a good few years!!

They really do not stay babies forever.