help needed for poorly foal, vets baffled!

Angelbones

Visit site
There has always got to be one :-(......I asked for help!!!! not stupid coments, what do you sugest the owner do club it to death??? the vet CANT get there, although trying very hard. And Im sure if nothing can be done the foal will be pts as soon as possible. Go pick an argument in an empty room......

thank you all for the sensible comments, and will update as and when.

Well said ;)

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
For the sake of the children, why on earth is Nativity Ponies being discredited for offering her opinion on what to do with what she believed was a dying foal??

Okay, so the OP wasn't talking about a dying foal, despite quite clearly posting about a dying foal (confused? I am!) - but that doesn't make NP the bogey woman for suggesting a very real option!

This allergy to doing what's right by our animals is why Spindle's Farm existed.

So now who are the animal lovers? NP who will never let a hopeless case suffer or leave her farm, or all the NP haters who subject animals to months of suffering for their own precious egos to feel better about trying?

Glad the YEARLING is okay, but it does help a fair bit with advice threads if you actually ask for advice on the situation, and not change it to sound better.

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
OMG I can't believe some of the replys to this post, all I had this morning was a phone call by a very experianced top producer who was very worried about ( I know I said foal, I got it wrong, take me out and shoot me) yearling! who happens to be not so small, in fact its a strapping 14.2hh warmblood, ( not a lower end of the market meat pony, not that it should make a difference) who they had down in a stable and the vet was on his way, but after seeing it the day before was baffled ( not the first time for any vet and am sure not the last)
I was asking for any ideas, in case it might have been somthing, someone was missing,(two heads better than one thought) but unfortunatly this thread has turned into a bItchin thread by a certain member, WHY?
this is why it makes so many people scared to post on here,
I posted what I knew at the time, but rather be out there and helping,than to give a well spelt, blow by blow account, of a horse that needed help, and not unhelpfull comments.
I have to wonder about someone who has so many needy ponies, has to spend so much of her time on here, being so horrible.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
OMG I can't believe some of the replys to this post, all I had this morning was a phone call by a very experianced top producer who was very worried about ( I know I said foal, I got it wrong, take me out and shoot me) yearling! who happens to be not so small, in fact its a strapping 14.2hh warmblood, ( not a lower end of the market meat pony, not that it should make a difference) who they had down in a stable and the vet was on his way, but after seeing it the day before was baffled ( not the first time for any vet and am sure not the last)
I was asking for any ideas, in case it might have been somthing, someone was missing,(two heads better than one thought) but unfortunatly this thread has turned into a bItchin thread by a certain member, WHY?
I posted what I knew at the time, but rather be out there and helping,than to give a well spelt, blow by blow account, of a horse that needed help, and not unhelpfull comments.
I have to wonder about someone who has so many needy ponies, has to spend so much of her time on here, being so horrible.

the foal/yearling whatever the young horse is on the mend thanks to you, your friend and the efforts of the vet. some people are unkind in their comments and it can smart but you all did what you could and he pulled through, rather than pts at the first sign of trouble. fingers crossed for a speedy recovery xx

lexiedhb

Visit site
Ok ok, so you were just worried, and wanted advise but there is a WORLD of difference between
a) an unconcious foal, with swelling
b) A yearling down in its box, with swelling

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site

The problem with this is that as has been pointed out previously, ideas of what could be wrong with a foal, would be very different from what could be wrong with a strong yearling. If you ask for advice, then no-one cares how you spell, but they do care that the information they are given is accurate, as it does have a bearing on what may or may not be wrong with the animal in question. Poisoning in a newly weaned foal would be much more life threatening than in a well grown sturdy yearling, so treatment and prognosis would be different.

jaypeebee

Visit site
Im pleased to hear that your friends youngster is feeling better now. You were a great help to you friend and sorry noone on here could help with diagnosis. I have had a great many youngsters but I havent before seen what you described. If you eventually find out what it is would you post it please as Id be interested to know.

lhotse

Visit site
The fact that the horse responded quickly to the steroids indicates that it could have Purpura Hemorrhagica (spelling corrected now I'm not in a rush!!). The pony we had with it swelled on his joints as well. Did the owner say anything about the colour of the membranes? They become spotted with blood marks, same as purpura in people suffering from meningitis.
This condition is often secondary to strangles, and can occure a fair time afterwards, it's a reaction to the antibodies that the animal has produced in response to the initial illness, whether that is strangles or a similar bacterial infection.
Our pony made a swift and full recovery, he was seen within half an hour of us noticing that he ws swelling up in front of us. It can cause awful skin eruptions and sloughing though, especially on the legs.
Hope the little fellow is ok.

angelish

Visit site
now this is exactly why i don't post in here much :(
the op obviously posted in a hurry no doubt fearing the worst about a poorly foal/yearling ,why can't people just play nice in here
it makes me wonder if you lot go on like this in real life and if you do you don't sound like much fun to be around
every time i come in here someone is bitching on ,it really is no wonder some people decide to spend there time somewhere else

op i really hope the horse is ok ,sounds like its on the mend now.
fingers crossed it has no more problems

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
Thank Ihotse, have copied and pasted to friend so that she can do a bit of serching.
And i think I will put a tin hat on next time I post lol

Tnavas

Visit site
From looking after sick foals at stud the best thing to keep baby warm is a deep deep bedo of straw with a quilt on top. Lay foal on quilt and cover with a quilt. As the foal is unconscious it is unlikely to fuss about what it is on.

Roll over every half hour to reduce bed sores and nerve damage. Use adult incontinence pads to absorb urine, apply vaseline around anus and along buttocks to reduce the risk of urine burn.

As the foal has a temperature it is important to try to keep the temperature down, so ice packs applied to surface arteries will help reduce temperature, Wrap the ice in a towel to prevent ice burns. Very high temperature will cause convulcions, same as with small children.

It sounds like he has an infection as he has a temperature. However my mare last summer had a face like a hamster for several days the swelling went from the base of her ears all the way down to her lips and also back down her neck as well. Vet thought it was a virus.

I so hope the foal pulls through seeing them so sick makes you feel so helpless.

TallyHo123

Visit site
Agree it does sound like some sort of poisoning, not sure what though. Some helpful replies though. Hope you get it sorted and the poor foal pulls through. :)

paulineh

Visit site
Quickfire

Is there a pheasant shoot anywhere near the land where the birds could settle.

Earlier this year my little New Forest mare became so ill the vet wanted to put her down. She had very runny diarrhea, not eating, very quiet etc I pleaded with him to give her a chance. We gave her antibiotics an anti inflammatory. We took bloods and I took them to Liphook. When the results came back they said it was a bacterial infection.

She was given IV fluids a further course of both the antibiotics and anti-Inflammatories, Aloe Vera and Pink Powders. Slowly she recovered and today she is a very healthy 22 year old who is loving this weather.

Further investigation have come up with the possibility that she ate something that had pheasant dropping on them.

I hope the youngster continues to improve.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

I think that's very unfair to NP. She responded, as we all did, because you made a mistake in the heat of the moment, believing it was a foal that was down. The fact it's a big strapping yearling makes a hell of a difference to what you would recommend or think.
IMHO, she was spot on with her first post if it had been a young foal as we originally thought. They go downhill so very quickly, it's very easy for them to go beyond the point of no return within the blink of an eye and being unconscious is a very bad sign.

Luckily, the yearling seems to be coming right again which is very good news but believe me, if it had been a foal, I would have been very surprised if the result had been the same.

Spyda

Visit site
God! Are some of you STILL dragging this post out? :eek::eek:
Come on guys! It's Christmas!!! Cheer up and move on :p:p:p:p:p:p

OP, thought the yearling was improving? Last time I checked in, he was. Hope that's still the case and I do wonder if the owner will ever find out what it was for sure. :)

mcnaughty

Visit site
Fantastic news about the baby - hope he keeps going from strength to strength.

I also see that the NP groupies are out in force again.

Can I please stick my oar in as NP did not leave the post alone as from 20 mins ago - it is not what she says necessarily (though swearing later on in the post was pretty uncalled for) it is how she says it - may I please quote

"oh dear..mortality rate 70%?"

"not looking too good, is it?"

Neither constructive nor helpful.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Fantastic news about the baby - hope he keeps going from strength to strength.

I also see that the NP groupies are out in force again.

You're not on the side of justice then that you don't defend someone who's been attacked wrongly in this case?

I'm also far too old to be a groupie too, sadly, just standing up for truth; I'd do it for anyone. :(

bensababy

Visit site
Glad to hear yearling is ok, always worrying times and i bet your friend is glad you were able to assist. Hope he makes a good recovery.

Sad that people have to turn threads into a popularity contest. Crikey peeps its Christmas, cut out the nastiness and butt licking and move on.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Seeing as i agreed with NP- does that make me a groupie?????

Really? why is it if you agree with someone you are an ass kissing groupie???

Confused.com

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
update on the on the yearling is that it is up, but still a bit wobbly, eating and drinking well, and is being kept warm and comfortable.

mymare

Visit site
There has always got to be one :-(......I asked for help!!!! not stupid coments, what do you sugest the owner do club it to death??? the vet CANT get there, although trying very hard. And Im sure if nothing can be done the foal will be pts as soon as possible. Go pick an argument in an empty room......

thank you all for the sensible comments, and will update as and when.

Jeepers!!!!!

I am not part of any clique - I only know one person on here, but, as an outsider looking in it seems there is a lot of bullying going on. I have never read anything offensive that NP has posted on here. Maybe I'm missing something, but certainly looks like cyber bullying to me.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Do the vets know what it is yet? I haven't read all the posts but noticed someone posted something about Atypical Myopathy. I think this is unlikely as the toxins which cause it are killed off by the frost and snow, it still could be though.

Best of luck and for the foals sake I hope it isn't AM its a nasty disease x

Lila

Visit site
Sorry havent read all the posts, but did the foal have a rug on?
Friend of mine put a rug on her horse which slipped back and stopped blood to his head. He had a very swollen neck and face and vet said they caught it just in time as could have caused serious problems and maybe needed operating on.

Hope the littlen's ok though

big hugs to your friend