Help! Needing a headcollar with buckle up throat w/o clip!

Spyda

Visit site
Why can’t I find this type of headcollar in cob size anywhere!? (See picture.)

My horse is terribly fine skinned and the throat clip on regular headcollars these days rub a bald patch no matter how loose or securely I fit them.

I’m currently resorting to wrapping a wedge of sheepskin around the throat clip and tying it in place to protect his cheek from being rubbed bald. (I also have to pad the nose band on headcollars too, as he’ll always get a wee bald spot right on the centre of his face where it sits.)

Anyway, when he was younger and smaller I used to get away with using the pictured style headcollar in large foal size, which was great. But now he needs a proper cob size I cannot find a fully adjustable leather headcollar anywhere for sale; Ideally one with buckle adjustments on nose and throat, and a buckle adjustment on BOTH sides of the head piece for real adjustability.

Does anyone know any brand or manufacturer in the world who sells what I’m looking for? I’m getting that desperate! TIA. xx

Attachments

• F5B87CC5-9565-4047-9A3D-618B053507A7.jpeg
    F5B87CC5-9565-4047-9A3D-618B053507A7.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 41

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
cant believe that this is so hard to find...mine is a shires leather headcollar which i have had for years .has adjustment on the nose....all i could find was rambo micklem leather headcollars all the others seem to have the clip on the side..

Leafcutter

Visit site
Seller called 6235horse on eBay has a cob sized one which looks similar, buckles on noseband, headpiece and throat piece

Spyda

Visit site
Seller called 6235horse on eBay has a cob sized one which looks similar, buckles on noseband, headpiece and throat piece

Yes, saw that one earlier and it would be too big; I can just tell from looking at it. That one would definitely need the head piece adjustment buckles either side. Plus I dislike the colour (but had it been perfect and likely to fit, that would have been irrelevant!) But thanks.

Attachments

• 4C8AA2F5-B7BE-4A15-8AF7-65056C4C481E.jpeg
    4C8AA2F5-B7BE-4A15-8AF7-65056C4C481E.jpeg
    875.6 KB · Views: 17

SpotsandBays

Visit site
What about having one made to order? By a local saddler/bridle maker? Would probably be pricey but I imagine it would be well worth it and also great quality!

Spyda

Visit site
Thank for all the great suggestions. I’ve saved a few for the future. ??

In the end I’ve decided on this one. I can’t find a headcollar anywhere with ALL the points of adjustment I really want; many have the required nose buckle then either they have the double head piece buckles w/o the adjustable throat, or an adjustable throat but only the one side head piece buckle. ??‍♀️

I used to have a lovely hand made leather headcollar with all of what I’m now looking for (I purchased on eBay 20+ years ago) but I lost it when it was taken by a livery who left the yard under bad terms and I never saw it, nor another like it, again.

Attachments

• 42E1FADE-BF74-4E12-8BDB-022020263494.jpeg
    42E1FADE-BF74-4E12-8BDB-022020263494.jpeg
    803.4 KB · Views: 38

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Or could you buy a leather one that is close to what you want - and ask a saddler to add a buckle and strap instead of the clip for example.

lottiepony

Visit site
It might be worth asking Gibons if they can add the extra buckle on the headpiece? Lovely looking headcollar though. I use a leather headcollar all of the time for mine no point saving it for best otherwise you don't get to see it so often!

Annagain

Visit site
Could you put a noseband gel pad over the clip? They just velcro on. Archie has very sensitive skin and these were fab, I attached them to all sorts of things!

Annagain

Visit site
Have a look on Facebook at Tip top Pre-loved shop. It's a second hand tack shop. They have a pony sized one with a buckle adjustment on the chin but it looks big to me. They'd post it if you asked, I'm sure.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Why can’t I find this type of headcollar in cob size anywhere!? (See picture.)

My horse is terribly fine skinned and the throat clip on regular headcollars these days rub a bald patch no matter how loose or securely I fit them.

I’m currently resorting to wrapping a wedge of sheepskin around the throat clip and tying it in place to protect his cheek from being rubbed bald. (I also have to pad the nose band on headcollars too, as he’ll always get a wee bald spot right on the centre of his face where it sits.)

Anyway, when he was younger and smaller I used to get away with using the pictured style headcollar in large foal size, which was great. But now he needs a proper cob size I cannot find a fully adjustable leather headcollar anywhere for sale; Ideally one with buckle adjustments on nose and throat, and a buckle adjustment on BOTH sides of the head piece for real adjustability.

Does anyone know any brand or manufacturer in the world who sells what I’m looking for? I’m getting that desperate! TIA. xx
what about this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265146731499?hash=item3dbbfa0beb:g:hVIAAOSwl7pcig1M ahh no adjustments sorry