Help! Novice Livery Owner Insists I Stable My Horse Alone!?

Elsbells

Visit site
All of a sudden, the yard pony is not allowed to come in although I did all the chores and looked after her well last year!? So I've asked to move to the new barn where she'd have 2 others for company and again it's a no.

It seems that I don't know my horse and she and her help do, my mare is perfectly happy on her own all night........ah yeah,...course.

My novice livery owner thinks it's nice that my Alpha mare and her 3 unridden horses stay together in the field. And yes I pay through the nose which includes shavings!!

Ever had your horse kidnapped by your livery owner?

WelshD

Visit site
Is your horse ok on her own? If she could cope even a couple of nights i would be inclined to call the YO's bluff and bring her in, once they realise that your horse isnt there to nanny theirs they may let go a bit

Its not really up to them to give you the yard pony as company and if they prefer that pony lives out there is little you can do about that one

Elsbells

Visit site
Is your horse ok on her own? If she could cope even a couple of nights i would be inclined to call the YO's bluff and bring her in, once they realise that your horse isnt there to nanny theirs they may let go a bit

Its not really up to them to give you the yard pony as company and if they prefer that pony lives out there is little you can do about that one

Yes but I did say before we arrived that my girl doesn't stay in alone and as I was the only livery at a under construction yard, I was told the pony could come in too. They've moved the goalposts on me. The frustrating thing is that I've paid out a lot of money for bedding and hay all through the summer for what has really been grass livery so far. It's a mess and I'm feeling let down as to the promises made. I've been a good livery and have always accommodated, I don't think its to much to ask to be allowed to keep my horse as I've always have.

Elsbells

Visit site
Can you put a mirror up in her stable and see if she takes to that.

It's funny but she doesn't need to see a face next door and would rather not I think, she just likes to be able to hear and smell them. The happiest she's ever been when stabled has been on a big yard with big loose boxes and bars to the front so they could only see each other if they looked out. She was very happy there and we could go back tbh but it's a long way to travel every day and the grazing just isn't.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes but I did say before we arrived that my girl doesn't stay in alone and as I was the only livery at a under construction yard, I was told the pony could come in too. They've moved the goalposts on me. The frustrating thing is that I've paid out a lot of money for bedding and hay all through the summer for what has really been grass livery so far. It's a mess and I'm feeling let down as to the promises made. I've been a good livery and have always accommodated, I don't think its to much to ask to be allowed to keep my horse as I've always have.

Think you have to point that out in the nicest possible way! If they won't budge I would be ready to move in the spring.

misskk88

Visit site

I would not be happy at being overcharged, unless the costs were consistent through the harsher winter months and so they even evened themselves out over the course of the year. Neither would I be happy with a YO that wanted to tell me what was what with my horse, they should be accommodating you (within reason), not the other way around!

Sit down and have a good chat with the YO about your issues. In the meantime, I would be looking at other yards. Hope you sort it.

Elsbells

Visit site
Thanks all, great support and yes I do need it.

This morning after a sleepless night I plan to get out and look at yards, local if there's spaces. I'm not concerned to much with grazing over winter as she's in more than out untill the spring. I feel like such a fool having paid out all summer and then on top helping out............a lot! I wish I'd learn.

Elsbells

Visit site
All of a sudden, the yard pony is not allowed to come in

QUOTE] But do you mean "the yard pony" is a pony belonging to the livery yard? if so, surely the YO has a right to say how she keeps her own pony.

Yes it is and yes she can but I was told that I could have her in for company. I fed her, mucked her out and brought in, turned out . This year she's to stay out because she's old and grumpy, she's furious about this and now she gate guards instead, rather effectively I might add!

WelshD

Visit site
perhaps because the pony is older it is better to stay mobile?

I'm sorry but its not up to the yard to provide company for your horse, they haven't moved the goalposts - you have assumed that the arrangement will continue indefinitely

be positive

Visit site
Yes it is and yes she can but I was told that I could have her in for company. I fed her, mucked her out and brought in, turned out . This year she's to stay out because she's old and grumpy, she's furious about this and now she gate guards instead, rather effectively I might add!

I guess you pay a flat rate all year so have effectively been paying in advance for the hay and bedding you are now using, unfair if they now move the goalposts which pushes you to leave.

I would, before you rush elsewhere, have a word with the YO and set it out very clearly that your horse does not like being alone and if the pony cannot come in then why can you not use the new boxes in the barn, if she tries to avoid answering push her you are a good client who wants the best for their horse and if the boxes are empty there should be no reason that your horse cannot have one, most YO's want the horses settled and clients happy moving to a different part of the yard is such a sensible option I cant see why she will not let you, if she doesn't give you a genuine reason not to tell her straight that you will be leaving, it may make her change her mind but remain calm and clear about why your horse and you would be best moving to a new box.

JJS

Visit site

I'm sorry but its not up to the yard to provide company for your horse, they haven't moved the goalposts - you have assumed that the arrangement will continue indefinitely

I agree with this. However, in your defence, I completely understand where you're coming from, and think you've been perfectly reasonable requesting a space in the barn with the others. I hope you manage to come to a compromise soon, OP.

be positive

Visit site

It is not up to the yard to provide company but it is moving the goalposts if the old pony now cannot come in, fair enough if there is a reason, but they wont let the mare move to the other part of the yard where there is company, it makes sense all round to do this with no fuss, I certainly don't expect a horse to live alone when there is a better option within the same yard and no valid reason given to not allow this.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Where will it end? If she dictates that to you who knows what other bee she might get in her bonnet. Find somewhere more knowledgeable

It's her yard she can run her business as she choses OP can try to discuss it but really moving is the answer .

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
The pony probably needs to stay out because when it's in, it stiffens up. It's typical for old horses and her grumpiness is probably a symptom of pain. Keeping her mobile will help with arthritis and other age-related problems.

Your horse's need for company can't outweigh the pony's quality of life. At the same time, of course you are right to move your horse if the new circumstances aren't conducive to it's welfare.

But I don't think you should feel cheated or let down by it.

If the pony had an injury and needed 18 months box rest, would you feel cheated because your horse no longer had a paddock mate?

Horses are unfortunately unpredictable and their needs change. It's inconvenient, yes but I don't think it's the YO's "fault".

Is there space for another on the yard? Perhaps you could foster a little chap from a charity as company?

stormox

Visit site
Is it an approved yard? You say 'novice livery owner'..... does she have any BHS exams? Has she run yards before? If she's that much of a novice I wouldn't want to keep my horse there anyway!

_GG_

Visit site
Is it an approved yard? You say 'novice livery owner'..... does she have any BHS exams? Has she run yards before? If she's that much of a novice I wouldn't want to keep my horse there anyway!

This^^^ I have been there and had rugs put on my horses when they weren't needed....think 4yr old that we collected from a field covered in snow with a HUGE winter coat...YO went back up later in the evening and put a HW stable rug on because she "felt cold" and couldn't understand the concept of insulation. Things were fine for about a year, then it all just started snowballing.

I don't think your YO is at fault at all for wanting the pony to stay outside, but I do think she has been unreasonable in denying your perfectly reasonable request to move into the barn. Whether it is written in a contract or not, she is taking money and providing a service and it is an implied term in any contract of livery that the service provider ensures the welfare needs of the horse are met. This would include not conducting their business in a way that causes undue stress and if your horse being in alone causes it undue stress, she is breaking that contract, implied or written, it doesn't matter.

Morally I would be annoyed at the financial side of it, but it really boils down to you and how you proceed with this. If it were me, I would be looking at other yards, make sure I had somewhere to go and I would then, in light of the good relationship you have had there so far, sit down over a cuppa and express your concerns. She either works with you to resolve this, or you move.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OK so if a "novice YO" has no BHS qualifications then I'm afraid I'm one too! LOL. All I've got to my name is Pony Club D, a long time ago. I've been around horses ever since I was seven years of age and am over fifty now.

So I accept that I'm a "novice YO"!!! Sorry if that offends :)

I've been offering DIY livery at my yard since 1992; and during that time have only had one bad-egg livery - the rest have been lovely people (and lovely horses) who've tended to stay for a long time. Because I don't feel I can be in the position of offering anything more than strictly DIY livery, that's what I offer. Everyone knows where they stand then.

Anyway....... as a small-concern (very) with just one DIY livery, but having been both poacher and gamekeeper, i.e. I've been on yards in the past where things were not always to my liking but for the sake of my pony/horse I just had to put up and shut up.

OP you're not giving a great deal of detail about exactly WHAT is the problem........ however I think you and YO (albeit a "novice" YO!!) need to just have a gentle chat about this: there just may be a way around things and rather than posting on here I think you both need to see if you can't sort something out??? Is there a contract in place (please tell me yes there is), as this may be of some help in the current situation??

If you can't resolve things.......... then all I can suggest is to leave your novice YO to her sad ways and look for somewhere else!! As a YO I'd be devastated if I saw something posted on here, and recognised my own yard situation. But if the yard is suitable for you and yours in every other way, I'd be inclined to stick around and see what you can discuss.

As others have said: make sure you have an escape route before you high-tail out though - you don't want to be in the situation of being out on some sad little grass verge over Xmas with a duvet, mug of choccy & a shaggy pony on a headcollar. It nearly happened to me once!!! And be aware the grass is ALWAYS greener ...........

Last edited:

_GG_

Visit site
OK so if a "novice YO" has no BHS qualifications then I'm afraid I'm one too! LOL. All I've got to my name is Pony Club D, a long time ago. I've been around horses ever since I was seven years of age and am over fifty now.

So I accept that I'm a "novice YO"!!! Sorry if that offends :)

I've been offering DIY livery at my yard since 1992; and during that time have only had one bad-egg livery - the rest have been lovely people (and lovely horses) who've tended to stay for a long time. Because I don't feel I can be in the position of offering anything more than strictly DIY livery, that's what I offer. Everyone knows where they stand then.

Anyway....... as a small-concern (very) with just one DIY livery, but having been both poacher and gamekeeper, i.e. I've been on yards in the past where things were not always to my liking but for the sake of my pony/horse I just had to put up and shut up.

OP you're not giving a great deal of detail about exactly WHAT is the problem........ however I think you and YO (albeit a "novice" YO!!) need to just have a gentle chat about this: there just may be a way around things and rather than posting on here I think you both need to see if you can't sort something out??? Is there a contract in place (please tell me yes there is), as this may be of some help in the current situation??

If you can't resolve things.......... then all I can suggest is to leave your novice YO to her sad ways and look for somewhere else!! As a YO I'd be devastated if I saw something posted on here, and recognised my own yard situation.

To be fair....I think it was meant as Novice and doesn't have any quals, not novice because she doesn't have any quals if that mankes sense.

I wouldn't consider you to be a novice YO with the experience you have and to be honest, I would rather experience over qualifications every day of the week for certain things and this is one of them!

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Ever had your horse kidnapped by your livery owner?

Yup, and I put up with it for far longer than I should have. This particular YO was very domineering, but the facilities were great so I stayed. It was also very difficult to find another suitable place. The final straw was when they started neglecting my horses in the middle of a horrendous winter. The relief I felt when I moved them was immense and I never looked back. Time for a move for you too, I think.

stormox

Visit site
I understood the OP, when she said 'novice yard owner' meant that the YO didn't have much experience with horses and yards and was therefore a novice. But having a BHS approved yard, or BHS stage 2 or 3 would at least mean she knew her job..... years of experience and/or proper training would take you out of being 'novice'.

SunSeeker

Visit site
Agree with MiJods .... I think you should talk to your yard owner... and try and resolve it in a fair way. Personally I dont think she is being particularly unreasonable in wanting her old unridden pony to stay out. In what way do you feel that she has kidnapped your horse?