Help! Novice Livery Owner Insists I Stable My Horse Alone!?

budley95

Visit site
I'm getting the impression you think the YO is "borrowing" your horse to keep the yard pony company at night? If that's the case, explain you want your horse in, you'd like to have her up in the barn with the other horses so as she's not on her own. You understand her pony might be ok out by itself/better of out etc but you pay for bedding and hay as part of you livery so you would like to use that in the least stressful way possible, either your horse moving to be with other horses or your livery being reduced and going onto grass livery if your horse can handle it. To be fair though some horses are absolutely fine on their own in a stable. Mine has to be in by himself all day in the summer and out at night when the others are brought in. If he's got hay and a snack ball he doesn't seem to mind, first few times I left the radio on for him, so if she has to be on her own to call the YO bluff as it were I'd just put a battery powered radio by her stable on quietly and make sure she had loads of hay!

It is up to the YO how she runs her yard at the end of the day, if you don't like it move, or if her pony needs company and it's what it boils down to suggest a companion from a rescue instead so your horse can come in!

skint1

Visit site
I've got the same impression as budley95. Certainly try and discuss it with the YO in a polite and open manner but don't forget livery yards are fiefdoms not democracies, so if there's no compromise you will have to consider your options.

Elsbells

Visit site
Good news!! I have found a space on a small yard in my village a short walk away. Although it's small, Il have my own stable in an open barn overlooking the fields, a smashing paddock with the luxury of a trough a shelter, proper fencing(not tape and plastic posts) and a real gate onto the lane so no more running the gauntlet through other horses patch! There'll be no more interference as the owner is not at all horsey, he just collects the rent which less than half what I've been paying and it's all exactly what I want. I know my mare will settle as surprise, surprise after 5 years, I know her best.

I've given notice as politely as I can and I hope my novice YO accepts that I and my mare have needs that she can't meet as I really don't want to leave on bad terms.

My mare is a good nanny horse and the alpha mare which means although it's to complicated to explain on here, she has been of great use to them in many ways and I've allowed it as I like to help if I can. No longer though, yes Il hack out with whomever wants to come with us but that's it, I've learned a lesson.......at last.

_GG_

Visit site
Good news!! I have found a space on a small yard in my village a short walk away. Although it's small, Il have my own stable in an open barn overlooking the fields, a smashing paddock with the luxury of a trough a shelter, proper fencing(not tape and plastic posts) and a real gate onto the lane so no more running the gauntlet through other horses patch! There'll be no more interference as the owner is not at all horsey, he just collects the rent which less than half what I've been paying and it's all exactly what I want. I know my mare will settle as surprise, surprise after 5 years, I know her best.

I've given notice as politely as I can and I hope my novice YO accepts that I and my mare have needs that she can't meet as I really don't want to leave on bad terms.

My mare is a good nanny horse and the alpha mare which means although it's to complicated to explain on here, she has been of great use to them in many ways and I've allowed it as I like to help if I can. No longer though, yes Il hack out with whomever wants to come with us but that's it, I've learned a lesson.......at last.

YAY!!!! Bet you wish you'd done that sooner!!! xxx