Help settle a debate: haynets!

9tails

Visit site
I use a carabiner off the ring and clip my net into that. You won't see me hauling heavy nets into place. Horse is an accomplished net feeder, she doesn't yank at the net but nibbles daintily.

Illusion100

Visit site
Mine, when stabled is fed the majority from a feeder as I prefer them to eat from the floor as much as possible. However due to a need to enrich his stable environment I hang haynets filled with hidden pieces of apple/carrot.

They are hung high directly onto the ring. Haynets used do not have spaces large enough to get a foot through, nor is my horse shod so that isn't my main concern. If it was I would feed from floor or hang haynets high.

Concern is that the front of rugs can get hooked on the haynet, so I prefer haynets well above chest height.

I tie them directly onto ring for no particular reason other than they are hung so high they would be highly unlikely to cause an accident.

Luci07

Visit site
I would never ever tie up directly to a ring. My greedy horse pawed at his net (big horse) and got his leg stuck in it. It was tied up high and horse spent a long night stuck. Took a really long time for him to come back properly. He is now always fed on the floor and I won't ever use a net again.

Bossy's Groom

New User
Visit site
If you ask any Horseyperson to settle an arguement - all you'll end up with is a load more!

I used to feed on the floor - the natural position for a horse to eat from. Unfortunately, Bossy was a twister and spent much of her time in the box drilling down to Austrailia! So following the advice of other liveries (who all poo-pooed my untidy hay on the floor stableship anyway) a net was duly hung only to find said mare also hung from it several mornings later, complete with a Rod Hull Emu face (that's if anyone remembers him!) so went back to the floor for a while but later adapted her box by fitting a hopper on the outside which discharged at low level. Naturally, all the other liveries complained to the Y.O. over why I was getting special treatment.

Jazzy B

Visit site
If your going to use them, don't tie them low! A friend of mine used to and horse rolled and got it's legs stuck in it - think she was upside down for a while and had a nice slice on her leg where she had tried to get free and net had dug in!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I always go for depends on the horse and the situation. Most of mine are fed on the floor apart from two fussies who play with it and then won't eat it. They're fed from nets tied to binder twine. I check the binder twine every time: I want it thin enough to break if there's a problem but not under normal use.

Travelling I now clip to light weight aluminium carabiners, they break in an emergency. However the horse that's had the tie back operation is fed hay from a hay bag hung from a carabiner at below chest height. He has never broken the carabiner but if he did he'd not manage to get caught up in it.

xgemmax

Visit site
When I use haynets (not often as they have hay bars) I tie it straight to the ring, or bars in the stable, and low down so its about a foot off the floor :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
Am I missing something here? I run the cord from the hay net through a ring, pull up as tight as I can, then run the cord through a few holes of the net about half way down, pull up tight again and tie with a quick undo knot with the end looped through the knot three times. Or is that what those who "tie to the ring" mean? If you just tie the cord direct to the ring, the net will be too low, surely?

Anyway, I thought horses were browsers? So they will be designed to eat grass at ground level and also pull at branches above head height? Hurt backs from browsing trees? Never heard that before.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Just to add my two cents - when Pops was on straw, I fed him hay and haylage from the floor - if he dragged it into his bed it didn't matter/it didn't get wasted. Now that he's back on shavings, he gets a net - hung from the ring - in the manner Dry Rot describes. I tried feeding him from the floor when he first moved over to shavings (at new yard), but he wasted sooooo much of it that I gave up. Hay bars and racks are a waste of time with him - he just sees them as gigantic playthings and spends a happy ten minutes turfing every scrap of hay and haylage out of them onto the floor - so nets it is.

P

madlady

Visit site
Mine are on nets otherwise the hay ends up as extra bedding!

All tied directly to the rings and they each have 3 nets at any one time tied in various places so that they move around as much as possible.

Darkwater

Visit site
I don't use nets, I just feed my pony off the floor, but a gelding on my yard got his leg caught in his net a couple of nights ago (tied direct to the ring, and high up as he is a big horse) and I believe he is quite lucky not to have more injuries than he has. If it has been tied to string, it probably would have broken and the net would have come down, but as it was tied to the ring it stayed there. It is for this exact reason that if I use nets, they will always be tied to string.

Spreebok

Visit site
To the ring, she has teeny tiny holed trickle feeder nets and really pulls at them, so if they were on string they'd be on the floor in seconds. Would feed in rack or on the floor, but an entire big bag of haylage would be gone in an hour as opposed to lasting all night in the net.

diamonddogs

Visit site
I'd like to feed off the floor but my mare's so messy so I use a haybag, straight off the ring.

My back lady said bags are better than nets because they tend not to rag them around, so it helps their backs and necks.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
I use haybars now, but when I do use a haynet I tie it directly to the ring with a knot that should release quite easily if necessary. I tied to the string it swings about to much and all gets twisted up making difficult to untie and therefore dangerous in an emergency.

Annagain

Visit site
When I use a net - only if they're tied on the yard or in the trailer - I tie to the ring. String would break too easily the way they pull at them. They have haybars in their stables.

GoldenHours

Visit site
Just to add my two cents - when Pops was on straw, I fed him hay and haylage from the floor - if he dragged it into his bed it didn't matter/it didn't get wasted. Now that he's back on shavings, he gets a net - hung from the ring - in the manner Dry Rot describes. I tried feeding him from the floor when he first moved over to shavings (at new yard), but he wasted sooooo much of it that I gave up. Hay bars and racks are a waste of time with him - he just sees them as gigantic playthings and spends a happy ten minutes turfing every scrap of hay and haylage out of them onto the floor - so nets it is.

P

When I first used a haybar my mare did the same and made a dreadful mess. In desperation (having forked out 50 quid for it) I devised a way of tying a large haynet down inside the haybar - secured to the bottom. Using the bottom bolts as an anchor point - I tied a karabiner down into each side and clipped the net inside. I also set the net on top of an upturned trug so that it didn't drop out of reach as she emptied it. It worked well! I currently tie nets onto the stable bars - only because my yard is on the market and they don't want people drilling holes etc. I think the haybar people are developing some kind of net to cover the top of it and thwart the naughty rummagers!

smja

Visit site
Tied to string...or rather, baling twine. Strong enough not to break when the horses eat from it, weak enough to break when the big idiot decides to take up stable-boxing and get his (shod) foot caught.

I feed night hay from the floor, but not morning/day hay because it gets trampled into bed too much as horse gawps at goings-on in yard.

applecart14

Visit site
I only tie nets directly to the rings in my stable as they are very high off the ground. otherwise I would use bailing twine. I am not convinced bailing twine will break easily.

I would only tie onto bailing twine on the outside of my trailer or where a tie ring was not high enough off the floor. I wouldn't tie my horse directly to ring without some form of breakaway.

Would also add that a knot in the string on a haynet should be at the bottom of the net i.e. by the opening, and not at the highest point of the string. When a horse gets tangled up its almost impossible to quickly release a net when the knot is not at the opening.

muckypony

Visit site
Mine have to have nets, although I'd prefer feeding from the floor, they prefer hay for bedding! I have two shetlands sharing a stables and a welshie, so all of them need a little help in the diet department! They are all tied at a nice height, not too high, not too low. Surely if it's too high you can just lower the ring or put a new one up...? I always tie to the ring, not only because it is less likely to break, but also because when bailing twine has been used a few times to tie haynets to it starts to fray and drives me insane!

MadisonBelle

Visit site
I use a haybar

Snap, only had it 2 months and horse, whilst out of work, put on topline!!!! She still has nets but I put some rings at the bottom of the haybar so she can't take the hay out and spread it around the bed and soil it :)

ps but also tie directly to rings and always have

windand rain

Visit site
unshod horses have haylage net pillows shod has on the floor if she is with an unshod one both have on the floor In trailer straight to the ring and whne the pony is tied up and supervised straight to the ring at chest height

Ladyinred

Visit site
In typical HHO style, I will give you an answer you weren't looking for. I don't use haynets, always put hay on the floor. Better for their backs.

ETA for travelling, tie straight to the ring.

You can also get unsightly and unwanted muscle develop under the neck, right where you don't want it. Flor for us too, I would rather risk wasting hay than spoil my horse.