Help with mud fever please....

tilly49

Visit site
My grey mare had mud fever on her back legs at present. There are 4 patches on 1 leg and 1 patch on the other. I've been treating it using Lincoln Muddy Buddy products. I've made sure it is clean and dry before applying cream etc and also I've not been washing it every day. This has been going on for a week. It started by oozing thn seemed to dry out, but today it was weaping and bleeding on the one area and she seemed reluctant to let me touch it, whereas she had been ok before. I have kept her in since finding it. She isn't lame on it when ridden and there is no heat or swelling. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Tiffany

Visit site
My mare has recently had mud fever and her legs were quite swollen. Vet recommended following:

Wash once with diluted hibiscrub, dry completely with clean towel then apply Protocon (from local tack shop), continue applying Protocon each day to soften and remove scabs. My girls scabs cleared up within 6 days. When she goes out she'll have Protocon applied and mud brushed off when dry rather than hosing her legs.

My girl is 16 and never had mud fever before but it has been a wet, warm summer.

Hope this helps. :)

sanchob

Visit site
Never wash mud fever unless you absolutely have to . It thrives on warm moist conditions . If you do wash dry properly with clean towels . I use sudocream with a little bit of tea tree oil mixed thru it -it works a treat. If you are turning out covers the legs in pink udder cream

snopuma

Visit site
I am trying the following which seems to be working so far...

hose legs off, leave for 10-20 mins in stable, towel dry thoroughly, then quick spray with Hypocare, in the morning before turnout apply baby oil (about a soup spoon per leg) massage well in (helps your hands too) and then turn out, its working so far and they will stand in the thick mud by the gate!

So far no scabs and they both had it really bad last year with cellulitis which is what your horse appears to have (the seeping) you will need the vet to give antibiotics and keep horse in until cleared up.

Emma27

Visit site
I have just had the vet out for my ISH, he has been in for nearly 2 weeks and his mud rash just isn't getting any better.

I have tried every lotion & potion to no avail and now the vet has put him on antibiotics and a dry powder spray (Derby-something) so fingers crossed that this works.

tilly49

Visit site
Ive put some hypo care on this evening left that to dry then some mud barrier cream. I have ordered some Camrosa which will be hear In the next few days. It didn't seam to be bleeding today and the weeping seamed improved. Fingers crossed :)

Tiffany

Visit site
Never wash mud fever unless you absolutely have to . It thrives on warm moist conditions . If you do wash dry properly with clean towels . I use sudocream with a little bit of tea tree oil mixed thru it -it works a treat. If you are turning out covers the legs in pink udder cream

Vet recommended washing just the once and then applying the protocon. I think all horses react differently to mud fever cures although agree legs should be kept dry. Luckily my vet's advice did the trick for my girl :)

Dab

Visit site
Is your diet balanced correctly?

Most the time the horse is deficient in something I like wwwfeedxl.com for working it out quickly.

This stuff is the only stuff I have found to work http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem/Aromaheel_Mud_ointment.html

But again check diet first prevention is better than cure.

Mine has his diet balanced, grass and hay analysed, minerals balanced and i have just had to get the vet out to treat his mud fever with antibiotics - and it pains me greatly that we have had to go this route. But nothing was touching it, i tried every potion, lotions, method under the sun. I dont have a muddy field or long grass....i am putting this years down to the flies and mozzies nipping at his heals....unless any one else has any other ideas?

WestCoast

Visit site
I'm applying muddy marvel descab, washing with a mild antibacterial/antifungal shampoo and then was putting a barrier cream on when completely dry. I am now trialling a spray bottle with a mix of vinegar and baby oil as it is easier to get on when it is cold and the cream goes solid. I started when it was just very scurfy, with a couple of small scabs on the heels and it is clearing well - I'd use the vet's antibiotic/steroid cream if it was causing any real problems.

Paula

oscarwild

Visit site
I normally use vets steroid/antibiotic cream but this year it wasnt doing much for the mud fever. So vet gave me a product equi-oxcide which has been a godsend. Worked a treat and you also leave the scabs alone and paint it on top.

Bertolie

Visit site
Mine had mud fever a couple of months ago which was being really stubborn to clear. My vet made me up some Flamazine cream with Betnovate added, expensive but worked wonders within a few days.

lynnandbella

Visit site
We use global herbs mudx and thovex udder cream as an anti bacterial barrier , only 1 out of the 4 horses gets mud fever badly but the global herbs works really well

hobo

Visit site
Well after 34 years of horse ownership I have my first case of mud fever! I called vet and his advice was
First udder cream scabs, than clingfilm area and stable bandages overnight.
Second tomorrow wash with hibi scrub useing as hot as water as possible, removing all scabs.
Clean towel dry than apply mudfever cream twice/day. It has a bit of anitbiotic in it their own concocsion.
Keep her in for a week until it has settled.

I'm off out now to clingfilm her she is 2 so hopefully I will not end up in A&E!!

He is hopefull that I will get on top of it.

Hexe

Visit site
I was recommended disifin, worked extremely well for my horse, mudfever cleared up in days only by soaking the scabs in it once a day and then spray with (antibiotic) blue spray. i wasn't able to remove the scabs before as my horse simply wouldnt let me, but after 2 days with disifin were easy and painfree to remove. however i diluted it in 1l of water instead of 0,5l

monikirk

Visit site
Flamazine is amazing - once it has healed and settled down try mixing equal measures of vinegar and baby oil and spraying it on from an old well washed kitchen cleaner bottle each evening. Water proofs legs and mud falls off!

TommisMum

Visit site
I recommend Muddy marvel products.
My livery had Mudfever this summer :)confused:) and I used all the products on him - cleared up well. Had been using hibiscruband udder cream but that combination seened to hurt him. He wasn't bothered by muddy marvel.
So this autumn as my grey has always had mudfever I have gone for prevention and this year (fingers crossed) we haven't seen it.
I feed mudguard.
I disinfect and barrier cream every weekend.

FYI he lives out.

In previous years I have used mud boots and these did help.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
Liquid Parrafin, cleared my mares up in 2 weeks. No washing just put on top twice a day. Scabs start to fall off in 2 days. Recommended it to many people and everyone has come back and said how well its worked.

Victoria25

Visit site
Vaseline - Ive coped with ****** mud fever for years and this is the only thing that will get rid of it on my mare ....

clean legs and leave to dry overnight ... next morning (doesnt matter if a bit buddy) get a massive wad of vaseline and cover area - massage in (for a few mins) scabs will stay there but make sure you've massaged all areas ...

Leave in for the day ... at night do the same ... apply looads more and massage ... a lot will drop off literally in your hands ... keep going - they will all come off - then the vaseline is like oil - will protect legs from a lot of the mud x

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oh, I could write a PhD thesis on mud fever after the last two months!

What didn't work . . . washing/picking off scabs, applying flammazine and dressing the leg (caused rub wounds - my boy has the most sensitive skin EVER - many of his rugs rub him), oral anti-biotics - we tried that twice and both times the mud fever and the cellulitis came back with a vengeance.

What has worked (so far) . . . a higher-dose antibio (Cobactan - injected daily), no washing and/or dressing, applying Hypocare along with a special aloe vera spray and then lashings of vaseline before he goes in the field, waiting for the mud to dry and then just brushing the worst off, bandaging his legs at night to help prevent filling, turnout and work.

Once it takes a hold, mud fever can be a demon to shift . . . but the real worry is the accompanying cellulitis which needs squashing quickly otherwise you run the risk of lymphangitis.

Good luck. Persevere and together with your vet you WILL find a solution.

P

Chaptertwo

Visit site
There seems to be so much of this about at the moment! Two of my friends ponies have it, one had it really bad but thankfully both now healing well!!

Touch wood my white legged cow pony hasn't had any problems yet and hopefully won't either!! Our fields are so wet though! Not too muddy but wet!!

I have the NAF mud guard ointment which I occasional use.
Zinc based creams are supposed to be good so I am told! Not had much experience with MF so i'm not big on treatment!

jellyshark

Visit site
Over the years I have had mud fever on numerous horses and have found that the one product that has worked on all of them is mudguard - an all natural product - I simply follow there instuctions for use and once cleared use as a preventative! I can only find it buy online but an absolutly brilliant product that works well on rain scald too!!

My current horse started with mud fever and I cleared it 1 week now apply to prevent, also treated a friends horse who was struggling to clear mud fever 2 applications and now clear!!!

mazza50

New User
Visit site
My mare had horrendous mud fever last year. Started Late September when the weather was dry she just had cracked heel on her rear white sock. I washed and softened the scabs and started to use sudocreme. It gradually became worse and worse and I can honestly say I tried everything, muddymarvel, udder creme, keratex powder, etc. I tried washing every day and then not washing Eventually the mudfever went all the way up and around her white sock right up to her hock. I then had the vet out who gave her two courses of antibiotics and prescribed cream. Even this did not shift it. (he said it can be really difficult to cure) So I went back to softening the scabs washing with Hibiscrub and removing them everyday (not easy with a Chestnut TB who was not a good patient) then completely dried with clean towels and hairdryer, you must get the skin dry before you appy more Sudo Creme. I also used a supplement to help with healing process. Finally 4 1/2 months later victory and it finally began to heal back to pink skin and then new hair worst time of my life!! Good luck.