Help with my youngster (again...)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've been trying to back him, and I can lean over him fully, with him not being bothered at all. So yesterday we tried me leaning on him, and him being asked to walk on. Each time he panicked and freaked out, which resulted in me sliding off. So now I'm stuck again. :rolleyes:

How many steps did you try to get him to take with you lying over? This is a frightening experience for a horse - thousands of years as a prey animal - something on his back is something he KNOWS is going to kill him!! So he panics!

Once you can lie over him standing still, and pat him on the off side, then get your helper to lead him forward ONE step. Pat him, get off, back to mounting block. Repeat - but take 2 steps. Then 3. It literally HAS to be that slow with a horse with a high flight response! We had one that could take 5 strides - but bolted after 6! Basically, the tension rises the longer you're there until they just can't stand it!

If your leader keeps him on a SMALL circle, then there's less chance he'll get away - and you can slide down quickly. It might take a week or more of 1 stride, 2 strides, 3 strides - until you can walk a half circle. Make sure you are far enough across the saddle that you are not pulling it sideways!

Don't even think of getting on properly until you can do 2-3 small circles without him panicking. Then, start in a leaning forward position (no stirrups) and do the same again, 1 stride, 2 strides, 3 strides etc.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
ABC,

We have an 8 YO devil pony in now who for the last 4 years has only been a broodmare. She has only been caught in a crush. New owner wants her riding as a backup buy has no problems keeping her. She was supposedly never started but I think she was, just badly. She is, um, different. When I'm laying over her there is no tension in her back and she is quite happy to have me there. Walking off around the box she is ok but when she goes to go she gets all freaked out. I just stay up there as I completely trust that my husband has the situation. We've been ignoring the scooting and talking to her and slowly she is getting the hang of it. She gets driven riderless for about 1/2 an hour just about everywhere on the farm. This is where she is getting most of her confidence. I know what you're thinking, that this is a pony and not a huge youngster. But when we first got her she was literally either running away in the stable or coming at you with teeth or hind ones. But a tad difficult to discipline one who has no idea what the heck you want. Because turnout is a vital part of breaking we had to work out how to incorporate that into the program. The first week and a half she came in the field on her own straight into her box. Now, she happily walks up to us. Now she gets corrected for Ill behavoir and knows what we mean. She's also on voice commands. If I'm on her and she panics, I just say whoa and she knows when she stops she's rewarded with lots of rubs. Really proud of "misreable mini"!

Thinks like weight are all good if you are absolutely positive you can be solid on the ground. If you're not you now have a very paniced horse and it can get quite ugly. My suggestion would be to skip backing right now. Go back to the lunge and teach whoa by voice. Learn to long line an older very quiet horse. Have someone help you when you go to drive your youngster. Such as handing you the second line. Even to walk your boy off while you are behind for confidence. I second what others say, having someone come to you to help you and him is more affordable and this way you learn together. Your guy is not ready for backing so go back a couple of steps and make it fun for both of you. I agree 200£'s is a little steep. But at the same time, if the person is good, it's worth it. I won't get on horses that aren't long lined first. Yet nowadays it's in fashion to be treated to these amazing breaking sessions in which groundwork is for sissies. Ride them all bitless and and go for the wow factor. I prefer the the old horseman ways of actually doing things for the horse and not CD's.

Look it my 6 YO warmblood/TB cross has had off 2 months. I will get on her today. We will start back slowly but I'm not lunging her. I will get on and go for a walk about. She will pull no tricks. And trust me this is a horse people judge on her breeding. She won't give a hoot because she knows what's expected under saddle. She has plenty of her own time to be silly in the field.

Good luck with your boy. If you're determined to do this yourself then just back up a bit and get him more confident on the ground before going to the next step.

Terri

Elfen

Visit site
Ground work and lots of it - equilibrium Ireland has got it spot on.

Your young horse is trying to tell you something and you have to listen. Take a few steps back, go back to the basics if you have to but you need to gain his trust totally before you start on the actual backing process. I'm sure you feel frustrated as he's so good on the lunge etc but better to take it slowly now than have major behavioural issues in the future. Good luck :)

jackscrag

Visit site
Can reccomend =

http://www.glynnwoodstud.co.uk
He is based in lancashire, one of the girls on our yard has a Sec D being backed their at the moment, they arnt overy expensive, her horse was bit of a nut job, and is coming on nicely. Ignore website address, he is based in lancashire :).
Hope that helps.

Last edited: