Heritage Comfort Bridles off Ebay

DressageDiva1962

www.facebook.com
Has anybody else had any problems with these bridles sold on Ebay using the "Heritage" name ?? They are not genuine Heritage bridles, they just use the name to sell cheap copies.

I bought one in February believing it be the real thing and the leather has snapped in two place on the noseband, whilst I was out riding my horse, luckily I wasnt going at any speed but I've had been there could have been a nasty accident.

I have contacted the ebay seller, she said she cant refund because its out of warranty, her supplier has a 48 hour warranty on goods, I've written them a rather stern letter, I'm not holding my breath for a refund or a practical response but I just want to make this is not a one off problem, but if they are selling cheap rubbish that can potentially cause an accident they need to be stopped.

The real Heritage Saddlery is a reputable company selling quality english leather made in England goods and these other people use their good and reputation name in order to sell their rubbish.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
The only person worth buying Heritage products from is Matt Marlow who is the original Heritage brand. As you say, the others are copies and are pretty crap. Matt's stuff is fabulous and I can't recommend it enough, having two top quality saddles from him a super soft leather girth, some non stretch stirrup leathers and some reins which were so supple they barely took any oil.
I hope you get your matter sorted with the copy company but I'm pretty sure you'll be banging your head against a brick wall!

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
I bought a "heritage" bridle from an Ebay shop - got the cob size and in the end it stretched to extra full.

It felt nice leather when I got it but I certainly wouldnt buy another 1.

cptrayes

Visit site
I have six of them and I think they are terrific value for money. I have been using them for years. None of mine have ever stretched. They are made from Englush leeather sewed together in India. My latest two are Devon leather and it is lovely stuff. The only piece of tack I have in my tack room with rusty buckles is on a girth which I bought directly from Mattie Marlow.

How do you snap a noseband without the horse catching it on something? And how can snapping a noseband possibly cause " a nasty accident? even if it did just break?

Is it right to call Heritage a "copy"? They use the name, which the Marlows had failed to trademark, but are they really copying Marlow designs? If anything , it is Elevator that they are a copy of. If they are an "original - Heritage" copy then they can have it stopped by eBay and they won't be able to be sold on there anymore. As it is, I believe they have just taken a name they like (possibly not even knowing it was already in use, the Marlow tack is hardly household name, it's a very small outfit). The other heritage have been selling real value for money bridles for over 10 years and I've been buying them all that time with no issues.

You were unlucky and got a faulty one, just like I got faulty girth buckles from Matthew. The retailer is responsible under the sale of goods Act. It is irrelevent what the terms of their supplier are. The bridle was not fit for purpose. Tell them so and get your money back. It's more than I managed to get out of the "real" Heritage for my rusty girth!

Last edited:

Amaranta

Visit site
Wow you guys have been unlucky, I have two 'copy' Heritage bridles and would have no hesitation in buying another. My older one must be 8 years old and is still as good as new :)

I agree, they are not so much a copy of the Marlow bridles but the Elevator, when I got my first one I compared it to the Elevator at close quarters and could see no real differences - apart from the fact that my friend's Elevator stretched beyond use a couple of years later!

DressageDiva1962

www.facebook.com
I was wondering this.

The stitching had broken away from the actual noseband that's what I mean by snapped but on closer inspection its literally just come away, if I knew how to download photo's on here I'd take a picture of it and by causing an nasty accident I ment if the cheek pieces decided to break too !!! even so you dont expect that to happen to a bridle less than 6 months old, I never tie the noseband too tight so its not as any pressue was applied to it.

I never bought anything off "Heritage" before so I cant comment on other people's experiences I just wanted some feedback.

dumpling

Visit site
I got one from ebay about 4 years ago and it's lovely! Really soft leather, good stitching, looks good as new. How do you know if they're fake?

Mine has Heritage stamped on the headpiece and heritage stamped into the buckles.

BSJAlove

Visit site
i love mine but the noseband is much too big!!!! would get another but would have to replace the noseband with a smaller size :)

cptrayes

Visit site
That's how you know it's fake. I'm pretty sure Matt doesn't stamp his leatherwork or buckles.

They aren't "fake", they are just by a different supplier with the same name.

The original Heritiage company is far too small for them to bother "faking". If they were trying to fake stuff they would fake Stubben or Passier or xyz.... , not a company hardly anyone has ever heard of.

Marlow Heritage Comfort Bridle with crank noseband £85
Asian made English leather Heritage comfort bridle with crank noseband c£45

Take your pick but I can vouch for eight of the Heritages in the last 10-12 years. The OP's experience is unfortunate and the retailer is liable in law. If she PMs me I will give her the wording of the letter to write to get her money back.

cptrayes

Visit site
i love mine but the noseband is much too big!!!! would get another but would have to replace the noseband with a smaller size :)

Is it a standard crank one? They are easy to shorten if so. I have had to do a couple myself, they are a bit long.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I've had 2 of the cheaper version 1 was a passable day to day spare. The other was total pants. Have heard great thing about matt's heritage range

DressageDiva1962

www.facebook.com
Unfortunately, the word "fake" was a misinterpretation on my part !! they use the name "Heritage" but there is also a reputable english leather company of the same name.

The bridles sold on Ebay under the Heritage or Rhinegold name appear to be of foreign origin and in my opinion are not of the same quality.

Feeback has been very interesting though, my bridle is genuinely faulty but it seems to be a one off rare occasion, in saying that it should have lasted more than 5 months..

Spyda

Visit site
I have contacted the ebay seller, she said she cant refund because its out of warranty, her supplier has a 48 hour warranty on goods

Ummmm.... a 48hr warranty??? What &*%$!!! Of course they have to guarantee a bridle they are selling beyond 48hrs. That's the law!

OP: Where on the noseband did it snap when you were riding?

Visit site
His have a red badge on the browband and if you compare the 2, you can see that Matt's bridle is of a much better quality.

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt Marlow or Mattymarlow, owner of Heritage Bespoke Saddles and The Custom Made English Saddle Company.

Not wanting to get too deeply into the issue of the "Heritage" brand confusion issue that still seems to be happening, I do though want to try and help clear up a few things...... so here goes....

My tack, bridles, girths, leathers, reins, etc etc has NEVER had (2 exceptions I will come to in a moment) any form of branding on it!! It has just been sometimes stamped, not always, with made in England. No logo.

Now the exceptions are..... My Dressage Girths over the last 2 years- I have started to stamp on them Heritage and hang a Heritage tag from them with leather care info'.
But this issue isn't about girths it's more about exception number 2..... This is the Comfort bridle!

Ok, just to be clear.... I have NEVER EVER put a bridle button(badge) on my comfort bridles that says....HERITAGE or H or ever stamped the bridle with HERITAGE or H, nor have any buckles ever been stamped with anything at all.
I have never ever used silver badges either, so for those of you who now have just a silver badge because the top fell off, It's not one of mine!

The only badge that has EVER been used on a Heritage Bespoke Saddles Comfort bridle is Brass, Oval shaped, red background and says on it "Marlow".
If you PM me I can send you a photo link of the badges.

I only decided to brand them Marlow to help with the confusion re this issue. I prefer our tack to be totally plain and un-tacky!:D My customers seem to agree too, so I also offer the Comfort bridle with no badge at all on request.

All the best Mattymarlow

Ps, Santa paws.... considering nobody has heard of my company we are doing ever so well :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Hi Matt!!
Both saddles still great only that skinny mare has outgrown hers now!!! AARRGGHH!!
Passed your details onto a couple of people up my way this week
K

DragonSlayer

Visit site
And mine! But I have been very happy with it - have two in fact.

I have a bridle that says 'Heritage' on a green button on the browband...had it YEARS. Lovely soft leather, and still going strong! Not seen evidence of excess wear or stretching at all and it's used very regularly.

If it's indeed a 'copy' then it's a damn good one!

katherine1975

Visit site
I have an ebay Heritage bridle for one of our horses it is used frequently and has lasted 3 years so far! I would buy another one, the leather is soft and have had no problems with it.

Achinghips

Visit site
Oh dear, in that case mine's a cheap copy!

Mine too, then (it came with the horse). It has a navy oval shaped badge with the word Heritage on it, in an itallic type of writing. Now, it may be that the label is unique to just the browband and the rest of the bridle is ok, as he's xf (half Shire) and I know that getting browbands to fit was an issue to the last owner - how do I tell if the rest of the bridle is kocher?

Last edited:

tibby

Visit site
Hi Matt, Made to measure saddle brilliant, should have done it a long time ago would have saved a fortune, girth and stirrup leathers still good as new. I purchased a "so-called" Heritage bridle years ago from ebay, wished I hadn't! Still you live and learn.

cptrayes

Visit site
Hi Matt, are you now going to give me your address so that I can finally return my girth with the rusty buckles that I bought from you two years ago from eBay, and emailed you about and you failed to give me your address after being asked at least twice? You offered to replace them, then you suggested that it wasn't your girth even though I bought it direct from you through eBay, and then you simply never gave me a return address, so I am stuck with it.

My Heritage bridles (not yours of course) and other Asian made tack don't have a rusty piece of lorinery on them. The only pieces of rusty lorinery in my tackroom are yours.

cptrayes

ps I am very glad that your company is going well, it is great for the British economy for us to have companies like it. But in the context of deliberate faking of a brand name, which is what we were talking about, surely you can see that if anyone was going to fake a brand it would be a £200 Stubben or an £800 Passier that they would fake, and not a £100 Heritage? They use the same name as you because you failed to protect it from that happening. That doesn't make them fakes, they are what they are, damned good value for money mid-quality bridles.

Last edited: