Hermes

PurBee

Visit site
DPD is a nightmare where I am - used to be reliable but no more. I have just had an email from a company to say that the rug I had ordered had been delivered to someone else who was waiting for a guillotine!!! And if DPD tried to deliver the guillotine to me, would I please refuse it!!

????

what on earth?! Who’d order a guillotine...and who on earth sells them?!!
LOL!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
????

what on earth?! Who’d order a guillotine...and who on earth sells them?!!
LOL!

ROFLMAO! I used to sell guillotine blades, sometimes bloody big ones!

I have a guillotine in the workshop. It's supposed to be for paper and card, but I use it for cutting sole bend (1/4" to 3/8" thick leather) into squares and rectangles for making stacked leather handles.

The big guillotine blades I used to sell were for paper or cardboard for packaging manufacturers; some of them were between four and six feet long, three inches high and an inch thick, made of D2 steel.

Kaylum

Visit site
To make sure you items do not get damaged as they are thrown about and squashed etc is to learn how to wrap properly. Good tape, bubble wrap, strong post bags and boxes are a must. You would be surprised how people who do not have experience in sending goods package things.

Even attaching the address label make sure it is secure or if you dont print them out use a sharpie to write on the package.

As for royal mail I just dont use them any more.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
To make sure you items do not get damaged as they are thrown about and squashed etc is to learn how to wrap properly. Good tape, bubble wrap, strong post bags and boxes are a must. You would be surprised how people who do not have experience in sending goods package things.

Even attaching the address label make sure it is secure or if you dont print them out use a sharpie to write on the package.

As for royal mail I just dont use them any more.

Even people who should really know better don't always pack things correctly... I went to collect a parcel at the post office near my office in Paris April 2019 and when the young woman handed it to me I instantly thought "that should be heavier" and told her so... We inspected the cardboard box and found a hole in the corner, where the item had poked a hole and escaped.

I refused the parcel, the young woman filed the refusal and I reported it to the sender, who issued a refund and I ordered a replacement.

When I went back to the post office to collect the replacement, the parcel felt heavy enough, but I inspected it with the youngish chap on duty that day and there was the beginning of a hole in the corner.... I opened the box there in front of him, and though the object was still imprisoned in the box, it had started its bid for freedom by digging away at the corner of the cardboard.

The object was a pair of wolf-jaw tongs; a bit of brown paper had been wrapped around the jaws, but nothing around the reins (handle end), then laid diagonally in a box where there was just enough room for it to slide and bump into the corner. The end of the reins had almost kicked a hole in the cardboard.

This had been shipped from an Amazon warehouse. :rolleyes:

Kaylum

Visit site
Even people who should really know better don't always pack things correctly... I went to collect a parcel at the post office near my office in Paris April 2019 and when the young woman handed it to me I instantly thought "that should be heavier" and told her so... We inspected the cardboard box and found a hole in the corner, where the item had poked a hole and escaped.

I refused the parcel, the young woman filed the refusal and I reported it to the sender, who issued a refund and I ordered a replacement.

When I went back to the post office to collect the replacement, the parcel felt heavy enough, but I inspected it with the youngish chap on duty that day and there was the beginning of a hole in the corner.... I opened the box there in front of him, and though the object was still imprisoned in the box, it had started its bid for freedom by digging away at the corner of the cardboard.

The object was a pair of wolf-jaw tongs; a bit of brown paper had been wrapped around the jaws, but nothing around the reins (handle end), then laid diagonally in a box where there was just enough room for it to slide and bump into the corner. The end of the reins had almost kicked a hole in the cardboard.

This had been shipped from an Amazon warehouse. :rolleyes:
Yes i have so much different packaging for different shapes and sizes. I know the best tape and post bags and the worst. The best tape btw is the tape marked fragile. It's expensive but by far the best for boxes.

Branna

Visit site
The Hermes delivery to my home address has always been fine.

The one to my office is pretty crap, among items they have "attempted delivery" on are an iphone and a bulk order of hand sanitiser that went missing around the first lockdown when the price of it inflated hugely. Having watched the Joe Lycett show where Hermes are shown to routinely '"lose" items and sell them on at auction, I can't say they would be a company I would use out of choice. Only the sender can follow up with them which seems to be difficult.

Yodel used to be terrible near me but have improved in the last couple of years, and DPD have always been excellent. Parcelforce managed to lose a £40,000 piece of equipment collected from our office last year but thankfully that turned up!!

Keith_Beef

Visit site
The Hermes delivery to my home address has always been fine.

The one to my office is pretty crap, among items they have "attempted delivery" on are an iphone and a bulk order of hand sanitiser that went missing around the first lockdown when the price of it inflated hugely. Having watched the Joe Lycett show where Hermes are shown to routinely '"lose" items and sell them on at auction, I can't say they would be a company I would use out of choice. Only the sender can follow up with them which seems to be difficult.

Yodel used to be terrible near me but have improved in the last couple of years, and DPD have always been excellent. Parcelforce managed to lose a £40,000 piece of equipment collected from our office last year but thankfully that turned up!!

I'm watching it now on Youtube.

Caol Ila

Visit site
A friend worked for Hermes, and their employment practices are terrible. I think they were so terrible that they were under investigation at one point, although I don't know if any action was taken against them after that. Possibly very little, because Torys. My friend got drawn in because she desperately needed a job, and their patter was that you could choose your own hours and it was super flexible. Aye right. The reality is... not that. My friend explained that you have to show up at the depot at 9am to wait for the truck. The truck might show up around 9, but it also might not show up until after 11. But you still have to wait. You can't b*gger off and come back later. You are not paid for any of your time. They load your car, which takes quite a lot of time because packages need scanning, and then you have to drive all over East Bumblef(&8ck delivering packages. You are paid per successful delivery -- 75p per package or something like that (might be less). You get nothing for fuel or for wear and tear on your car. You're 'self-employed,' so you certainly don't get holidays or sick pay or anything like that. And many drivers end up earning far less than minimum wage, which is totally legal because they're "self-employed." Yay for loopholes.

A friend in the US suggested I call Hermosa "Hermes" as a barn name. No way, I said. In addition to it being the name of a male Greek god, it's also the name of a particularly odious corporation.

Last edited:

Fransurrey

Visit site
Hermes managed to make a next-day delivery to my mum's house today!

View attachment 70801

Not a great photographer, but at least he got the job done.
They're not supposed to include the face of the recipient, I don't think. Just the fact someone opened the door.

As above, I won't send by Hermes unless it's a return and the company has requested it. Our local driver is very good, though and it's easy to get hold of them.