He's Giving Up and I'm so Angry With Him

PercyMum

Visit site
My boy hasn't been quite right for a while and went into Liphook last week (after a huge battle to get him there as no-one thought he was that ill). He nosedived whilst up there and I managed to get him home after he collapsed on the trailer twice. He now looks like a Grass Sickness victim and I am at a loss as to what to do.

The vet says they have tested everything, nothing conclusive. He just has to have steroids and hope he will pull through (which doesn't answer why he is like this in the first place). He is just about eating grass, has no interest in feed, which I am trying to get into him to give him some energy and to get some fats into him to help the weight. He just nibbles at his haylage. I have tried everything and its like he is giving in. I can't get the drugs into him unless I syringe them in which is stressing him out more.

He has always been a fighter and come through the most hoffific injuries but now he just seems to want to give in. I feel like a terrible person becuase now I am so angry with him. I am ashamed to say that last night whilst desperately trying to get him to eat (where he took a mouthful and then dropped it all over the floor AGAIN) I lost it, threw the bucket across the stable and smacked him hard on the shoulder and screamed at him. I know, horrible and I feel terrible. I just want him to fight or do something. Anything. He is my best friend and we have done so much together and now it feels like he just wants to give in and leave me. He is only 15.

Clearly I would PTS if that was the vets advice - but even they can't decide what the hell is going on. There is no sign of pain or discomfort anywhere. They have said that we will try for 2 weeks then reassess, but most likely PTS as he is so thin. I feel helpless and horrible and about as low as you can get. But the worst thing is I hate seeing him like this. Pointless post really but I just wanted to get it off my chest and bawl quietly about the whole thing.

nix123

Visit site
Bless you come her (one huge cuddle). I can't imagine what your going through, but i'll be praying for him. x

Jinx94

Visit site
Maybe try adding mint to his feed? It encourages appetite, so could help some..

fingers crossed he's able to get better, thoughts are with you x

TheMule

Visit site
If he's eating grass then get him on the richest grass you can find and leave him out. Wrap him up if the temp drops at all but if he isn't eating hard feed or haylage there's really little point having him in?
Poor boy, sounds like he's pretty ill :(

Goldenstar

Visit site
Deep breath , you are in stress in an awful situation Jusy keep the vets in the loop and keep trying .
You lost control for a moment ,don't beat yourself up.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Have you thought of perhaps booking a reiki session for him? It really is very relaxing and uplifting. I used it on my mare along with massage when she was on boxrest and extremely sick. It may just be the uplift he needs.
Whereabouts in the country are you OP ?

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
Sorry if this has already been suggested or not something you want hear, but has the Vet mentioned grass sickness at all? You need to at least have an idea what he's fighting..
I'd suggest a second opinion, as it sounds as though things are getting desperate :(
Have a chat with these guys, and see if anything they suggest helps your boy? https://www.facebook.com/groups/219636401382141/
Hugs xx

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I sympathise utterly with your frustration last night, I have a similar reaction to bottle-feeding lambs and I don't love them like you love him:(

No doubt you've tried everything you can think of but here's a couple of suggestions just in case:

competition when feeding, many horses will eat up if they think someone else might be about to get their feed, try another horse outside his door.

grated carrot and / or parsnip - junk food but at least it's something

a tarty mare - if you can source one. A bit of admiration never goes amiss.

I assume he already goes out with a companion.

walking in hand along weedy grass verges and hedgerows to see if there's something he fancies (especially if he's on well kept grass).

I feel for you:(

maree t

Visit site
Dont be angry with yourself I can only imagine how frustrating it must feel.
Have you tried cutting some stinging nettles ? how about cow parsley ? might just tempt him. Has he got company or could you turn him out on some good grass ?
I so hope this turns out well for you both

leflynn

Visit site
Crikey, I can't blame you for losing it, I couldn't bear that either :(

Why don't you PM Queenbee, she has a lot of experience with this :)

PercyMum

Visit site
If he's eating grass then get him on the richest grass you can find and leave him out. Wrap him up if the temp drops at all but if he isn't eating hard feed or haylage there's really little point having him in?
Poor boy, sounds like he's pretty ill :(

I am trying to do that but I don't have the best grass, alhough I do have more than some in these parts. And I tried leaving him out last night, checking him every hour through the night but from 2200 to 0001 he just stood in the same spot so I brought him in. Originally we thought he wouldn't lie down which was making him knackered, hence the bringing him at night to try and get him to rest. He doesn't scoff the grass either - just picks. But at least he is still doing that I guess? Am desperately tryingto stay hopeful but I think that might be a falsehood right now :(

JoannaC

Visit site
Have the looked at IBS - sounds similar to my old mare. They operated on her at Liphook which I really regret as she ended up being PTS anyway. Since then I have heard of horses who have survived it without being operated on so don't give up hope.

DuckToller

Visit site
Can you go out with scissors and a bucket and cut some fresh grass from other fields? Then sprinkle it around the field so he can pick it up as he walks. (Just make sure it is clean grass away from dog pee and road fumes of course.)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
They can be terribly frustrating, can't they? It's as if they don't appreciate that you are trying to help. I'm sure next time you feel like that you'll go out of the stable and have your tantrum and then go back in refreshed and ready to have another go.
Sometimes the vets can't tell us what is going on and we just have to decide on the basis of quality of life.
I do hope he picks up soon.

PercyMum

Visit site
Bless you come her (one huge cuddle). I can't imagine what your going through, but i'll be praying for him. x

Thank you :eek:

Deep breath , you are in stress in an awful situation Jusy keep the vets in the loop and keep trying .
You lost control for a moment ,don't beat yourself up.

Thanks - I should be supporting him, not losing my rag with him but I can't bear to see him just give up.

Have you thought of perhaps booking a reiki session for him? It really is very relaxing and uplifting. I used it on my mare along with massage when she was on boxrest and extremely sick. It may just be the uplift he needs.
Whereabouts in the country are you OP ?

I'm in hampshire. One of his symptoms is he has become hypersensitive so think massage might be sore for him. Will google Reiki for horses though - I have never heard of it!

Sorry if this has already been suggested or not something you want hear, but has the Vet mentioned grass sickness at all? You need to at least have an idea what he's fighting..
I'd suggest a second opinion, as it sounds as though things are getting desperate :(
Have a chat with these guys, and see if anything they suggest helps your boy? https://www.facebook.com/groups/219636401382141/
Hugs xx

I have not heard the GS word mentioned as yet - might ask the vet the question outright.

I sympathise utterly with your frustration last night, I have a similar reaction to bottle-feeding lambs and I don't love them like you love him:(

No doubt you've tried everything you can think of but here's a couple of suggestions just in case:

competition when feeding, many horses will eat up if they think someone else might be about to get their feed, try another horse outside his door.

grated carrot and / or parsnip - junk food but at least it's something

a tarty mare - if you can source one. A bit of admiration never goes amiss.

I assume he already goes out with a companion.

walking in hand along weedy grass verges and hedgerows to see if there's something he fancies (especially if he's on well kept grass).

I feel for you:(

Thanks for the tips - hadn't thought of the carrot idea. Will immediately go and try that for a starter. He has a compnaion who I have fence off so they can see and touch but not get near as the other is a youngster who likes to play. Not helpful right now! He is being allowed to mow our verges at home which he does seem to enjoy. Is wolfing down Clivers but not sure if this means something?

Dont be angry with yourself I can only imagine how frustrating it must feel.
Have you tried cutting some stinging nettles ? how about cow parsley ? might just tempt him. Has he got company or could you turn him out on some good grass ?
I so hope this turns out well for you both

Thanks - has ignored Nettles and we don't have any Cow Parlsey at home. Might go for a drive to find some.

Why don't you join the EGS Facebook group for advice?

Might do - as above, I'm going to ask the vet outright about GS.

PercyMum

Visit site
Have the looked at IBS - sounds similar to my old mare. They operated on her at Liphook which I really regret as she ended up being PTS anyway. Since then I have heard of horses who have survived it without being operated on so don't give up hope.

He has the tiniest bit of gut thickening (Liphook siad this was like horsey IBS) but apprently the amount of thickening is quite often seen in horses of his age so they are not sure how significant this is. I am so sorry you lost your girl. Do you have any idea of things I can research about this? Have googled but very little has come up.

Tia0513

Visit site
So sorry he seems to be giving up, it's awful for you to have to watch it.

There is an eye lid test that they can do which apparently shows whether or not it is definately grass sickness. A sign that they show when having GS is that their eyelids droop, so they apply a certain solution and if the eyelid springs back up then it's confirmed as GS.

My thoughts are with you.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
OP I offered my mare hawthorn tips, clivers, wilted nettles and fresh dandelion roots. I gave her a bucket full each day in the middle of the day as not to interfere with the meds she was on. All these herbs are medicinal - they are detoxifying and cleansing and my mare used to gobble them up. Hawthorn tips are often a favourtite with horses grazing the hedgerows.

kal40

Visit site
I haven't anything to add but I just wanted to say that I was thinking about you and your boy and I hope he picks up.

PercyMum

Visit site
OP I offered my mare hawthorn tips, clivers, wilted nettles and fresh dandelion roots. I gave her a bucket full each day in the middle of the day as not to interfere with the meds she was on. All these herbs are medicinal - they are detoxifying and cleansing and my mare used to gobble them up. Hawthorn tips are often a favourtite with horses grazing the hedgerows.

Thank you - I have a massive Hawthorn hedge so will attack that with some scissors and offer him some of that. Is it just the tips? Clivers and nettles I can find in the hedges next door. Not sure about dandelions - will have to have a hunt for those. Will call Reiki lady and see if she can help. If it helps him relax and feel better, even if he is on the way out then that will help us both I think.

PercyMum

Visit site
Just heard from the vets and they do not think its Grass Sickness at all. So good in one way but still at a loss as to whats actually wrong with him.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I really feel for you :(

It must be so, so frustrating! I have no advice that others haven't already suggested but I really hope your boy makes a recovery!

doriangrey

Visit site
Thank you :eek:

Thanks for the tips - hadn't thought of the carrot idea. Will immediately go and try that for a starter. He has a compnaion who I have fence off so they can see and touch but not get near as the other is a youngster who likes to play. Not helpful right now! He is being allowed to mow our verges at home which he does seem to enjoy. Is wolfing down Clivers but not sure if this means something?
Might do - as above, I'm going to ask the vet outright about GS.

I think that if he is wolfing down cleavers (goosegrass) it could be very significant. It does have a lot of medicinal properties, but one of its main ones is as an anti-inflammatory. I am not a tree-hugger but when my hubby had tendonitis and no prescription was working (and believe me he was desperate), I dug out an old herb book and made him an infusion of cleavers, I promise you I am not lying when in half an hour he had relief from the pain he had had for weeks. He actually described it as a miracle and we kept him on it until the tendonitis cleared up. It is also believed to purify the lymphatic system among other things. It seems to me that your boy is self-medicating and I would definitely let him have access to it. I do hope he gets better and don't be too hard on yourself.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Thank you - I have a massive Hawthorn hedge so will attack that with some scissors and offer him some of that. Is it just the tips? Clivers and nettles I can find in the hedges next door. Not sure about dandelions - will have to have a hunt for those. Will call Reiki lady and see if she can help. If it helps him relax and feel better, even if he is on the way out then that will help us both I think.

It is just the nice fresh young growth tips you want to chop off - up to 2 inches - the stalk is soft and the growth fresh. As for dandelions there are hundreds this year - I would locate them and stick the secateurs into the ground to dig up the root and offer the plant root and all. I would literally gather a bucketful of these and the clivers and nettles and scatter them in front of my mare so she could select them. Dried rosehips are also a lovely vitamin packed treat to offer. You can get those on ebay via one of the herbal sellers. Good luck OP I hope he picks up. I am an aromatherapist and I also offered oils to my horses to sniff - all the citurs oils are uplifting and lavender good for relaxtation. You just hold the bottle in a fist and offer to your horses nose to inhale.